The Nokton 50/1.1 Revisited

I just recently rented the 50/1.1 to see how I liked it as a fast 50, I really liked the results. I used to own the VM 50/1.5 and like the character of the 50/1.1 more. While the VM 50/1.5 is extremely good, I just wanted something a little different for people pictures. My only wish is that it focused closer to around .8 meters. I'm extremely tempted now to pull the trigger on one. These are all Double-X at EI 800 in Microphen.

roll35-15.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll34a.1-17.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll34a.1-9.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll34a.1-8.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

I have seen and handled this lens, but I do not own one.

From the photo examples shown, this lens is seriously good.

I had one last year and though it wasn't perfect, it gave me what I was looking for. I thought it was indeed rather large, but manageable. Mine had an unfortunate accident during the middle of the year so I wound up selling it to someone who was going to repair it.

The image quality was just fine though, and for my usage I really only used it between f1.1-2.

As such I wound up buying the 35 f/1.2 II as a replacement, and though I love the quality of the lens I hate the size of it. Haha it's just so chunky on M bodies, I almost feel it's better suited to Sony bodies!

Bottom line: I am grateful that Voigtlander is an available option for us, putting out really quite good lenses at fairly reasonable prices.

Very cool, Theo.

"Pinball Wizards"

20160410-L1000626-X2.jpg

20160410-L1000630-X2.jpg

Roland.

I had one last year and though it wasn't perfect, it gave me what I was looking for. I thought it was indeed rather large, but manageable. Mine had an unfortunate accident during the middle of the year so I wound up selling it to someone who was going to repair it.

The image quality was just fine though, and for my usage I really only used it between f1.1-2.

As such I wound up buying the 35 f/1.2 II as a replacement, and though I love the quality of the lens I hate the size of it. Haha it's just so chunky on M bodies, I almost feel it's better suited to Sony bodies!

Bottom line: I am grateful that Voigtlander is an available option for us, putting out really quite good lenses at fairly reasonable prices.

Especially if you want to shoot a M9 in dim conditions, these two lenses offer an affordable way to do it.

I think the 35/1.2 is even more useful, because you have a little DOF at 1.2 :)

The render and colors are totally different. Each quite good in it's own way, but in broad daylight it's hard to justify the size. Some people don't care. But an M with a tiny lens is really nice.

I am a little bemused by the dislike some people have for this lens. Some (not all) of them strike me as Leica Lens snobs I must say. However I accept though that some have valid and more balanced reasons for preferring other lenses so do not be offended and assume I am lumping anyone here with that group. But the Digital Rev TV review of this lens by Kai (who I otherwise enjoy) is a case in point. He bags the lens just because its not a Noctilux. Then again Kai cant always be taken very seriously.

While the Nokton is not the same as a Leica Noctilux I do not think anyone seriously pretends it is or can be. After all it is one tenth the price and for the money it does a pretty good job. Sad the bokeh is not as soft but it performs well on both my M body and in some ways even better (due to focusing issues) on a Sony or M4/3 body where its razor thin depth of field does not make focusing such a challenge. In short it may not be a great lens but it is certainly a good performer and I would not sell mine in a hurry.

Mentioning again this lens makes me want to use it extensively in the next long trip. It can set the theme for me on how to take photos during a trip.

Back