The Official RFF FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

No, the Swiss (presumably influenced by the many British tourists they had back then) were the first on the Continent to take up the then new British sport, before German words for its terms had been invented. At that time it was "association football", "soccer" is way too colloquial by 19th century standards to have been adapted by the Swiss.

Sevo

I never said the swiss said soccer, I've lived in Switzerland ;)

I am on my way to the public viewing site. Absolutely vuvuzela free because our local minister for environmental affairs recommended to not allow them here. 120 db noise is way over the allowed limits for such an event. :)

no contest. Brazil, all the rest: stand and watch

Hmmm...they thought as much in the 1950 Cup, I'd say be careful, neighbors.

I wish my team (Uruguay) would please stop playing the defensive underdog and try the offensive for a change. A draw with France, could have been worse.

Must get the RF out next Wednesday to document what happens in Montevideo during the game with RSA.

Germany looked impressive in the first half. I was a little worried when Ballack was out of the game.

That was fun! But Australia made it easy for us. I especially liked that they didn't switch to slow motion after the 2:0 so the 2nd half was not boring. Let's see if they can go on like that even against a stronger team.
Some tough decisions with the cards in this play.

Honestly I thought the refereeing (and cards) was very good. There were some hard, late and dangerous tackles from the Aussies from the get go. I am a bit surprised by how many runs they took at schweinsteiger.

Uh, can I propose we don't post scores for a few hours after games? PLEASE!

The US is has to be the only country in the world where you can hide from the scores of the World Cup matches.

I get post game emails after every Yankee game. They won 9-5 today pulling into a tie for first place. Hughes pitched well again until running out of gas in the 6th. Posada hit a grand slam, second game in a row.

USA-England was much like the American War of Independence, as it is known in the UK: Thanks to English errors in execution, the USA did not lose.

I think AUS should go and do what they do best instead of screw around with football. Thats cricket and rugby. Pathetic performance by them. Germany could have easily put 10 goals in if Klose was in better form.

Back