The Official RFF FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Say what??? We sure don't say ''Soccer'' here in Switzerland. And yes, we do say ''penalty'' and ''corner'' but so do the English. What's your point??

That's what my cousin told me (she is from Zürich). And yes, for me it's strange to choose English and not German, French or Italian words for penalty, corner, goal and so on.
But hey, calm down, don't take this too serious...

That's what my cousin told me (she is from Zürich). And yes, for me it's strange to choose English and not German, French or Italian words for penalty, corner, goal and so on.

the french (and francophone swiss ;) ) DO use 'penalty' and 'corner' too, maybe that's why...

Last edited:

I'm from Zurich, too, and we say ''Fussball'' or, in Swiss German ''Fuässball''. We're a bit quicker than the Germans to take up anglicisms but ''soccer'' is not one of them. We say ''penalty'', ''corner'', ''goal'', ''goalie'', ''offside'' but we say ''Freistoss'' and ''Schiedsrichter''.

Anyways, I don't need to ''calm down'' as I'm not agitated in any way. Just setting things straight before the misconceptions spread.

Haven't seen no Dutch here yet...
I think I'll be back tomorrow....;)

BTW, we say, hoekschop, strafschop, vrije trap, and buitenspel!

Last edited:
the french (and francophone swiss ;) ) DO use 'penalty' and 'corner' too, maybe that's why...

good explanation. but French say "but" for "goal", right?
okay, not that important....let's stop this and talk about football.

Germany vs Australia. Eventual.
I have high hopes for the young German team!
I only wish Klose and Podolski to stay on the bench. The voodoozelas will finally destroy their last capabilitys to score...
Stiil unclear what's going on in Jogi Loew's mind.

Thomas

Germany vs Australia. Eventual.
I have high hopes for the young German team!
I only wish Klose and Podolski to stay on the bench. The voodoozelas will finally destroy their last capabilitys to score...
Stiil unclear what's going on in Jogi Loew's mind.

hopefully good game coming ! but will it be as legendary as this game against Greece ? :confused: :D

It seems that TV stations and sponsors are flooding the championship organisation with protests about the vuvuzelas. Viewers switch off because of the noise and don't watch the ads. They seriously have to think about a ban in the stadiums. This would be great.

I don't see how people are so annoyed by the horns? After watching the game for 5 minutes I can't even hear them until somebody walks in the room and says, "What's that annoying sound?" :rolleyes:

Let's go Ghana!

No, the Swiss (presumably influenced by the many British tourists they had back then) were the first on the Continent to take up the then new British sport, before German words for its terms had been invented. At that time it was "association football", "soccer" is way too colloquial by 19th century standards to have been adapted by the Swiss.

Sevo

It seems that TV stations and sponsors are flooding the championship organisation with protests about the vuvuzelas. Viewers switch off because of the noise and don't watch the ads. They seriously have to think about a ban in the stadiums. This would be great.

I seriously hope not. Don't get me wrong, I find the noise pretty annoying but why the hell shouldn't they be allowed to make all the noise they want just because some advertisers and tv viewers are annoyed? I say F the sponsors and FIFA, that multi billion enterprise that gets a massive tax relief because they're an ''association''. If people turn off the tv so be it. Their decision.

End rant :)

I don't see how people are so annoyed by the horns?

Unsold seats seem to be filled with school classes and other locals on freebie tickets - these seem to be impartial and often blissfully ignorant of the game. Many of them seem to perceive the audience as the happening they are there for, and permanently blow their horns irrelevant of what is happening - the drone certainly does not change much regardless of goals and fouls. This goes against the grain of the tradition of football fan culture, where the audience is as partisan as the players, and follows their team's actions with the appropriate noise...

I seriously hope not. Don't get me wrong, I find the noise pretty annoying but why the hell shouldn't they be allowed to make all the noise they want just because some advertisers and tv viewers are annoyed? I say F the sponsors and FIFA, that multi billion enterprise that gets a massive tax relief because they're an ''association''. If people turn off the tv so be it. Their decision.

End rant :)

Those games are not only for the few people in the stadium but for the millions of people on TV. And they only exist because of the millions advertisers and tv stations payed for it. That's the financial part.

I hate that noise because I don't hear the emotions in the stadium anymore. In a normal football game on TV you can hear the different fan groups and their slogans. Here you only hear that same sound over 90 minutes.

Serbia 0-1 Ghana. To a certain extent Serbia self-destructed; Lukovic sent off for a stupid foul, and an absolutely needless handball by Kuzmanovic in the penalty area. Ghana looked OK to me but no discipline, poor final balls and a static front two. The Ghanaian fans are absolutely awesome though. Best fans yet! :)

Those games are not only for the few people in the stadium but for the millions of people on TV. And they only exist because of the millions advertisers and tv stations payed for it. That's the financial part.

I hate that noise because I don't hear the emotions in the stadium anymore. In a normal football game on TV you can hear the different fan groups and their slogans. Here you only hear that same sound over 90 minutes.

So what if it's ''for the millions of people on TV''? It's happening in their country and if they bought a ticket they can decide to cheer whichever way they want. What sort of fascist BS would that be if the FIFA started to control what kind of sound a fan can do during a football match. Not that I'd be surprised if they did.

And what do you mean ''you don't hear the emotions''? Those are the emotions that you're hearing.
And to be honest I don't know what's worse, this noise or the sound of drunk Germans chanting like a bunch of tourists on Mallorca.

vuvuzelas.

Read in the paper today that Sainsbury's (an English Supermarket) had bought 30 000 vuvuzelas. and alreadt sold 15 000. Could be fun if they turned up at Wimbledon for the tennis!
Might be an improvement at Blackpool instead of that chap banging his 'drum' all the time - comment for the English 'soccer' fan!

jesse

Last edited:

we lost 17-27 to Australia if anyone's interested, the forwards crushed em but their centres were too quick and inventive for us ... I didn't watch the soccer

Back