the s2 is here...

VinceC said:
So how does the S2 compare to the M8. What about magenta issues?

Vince! Be careful about mentioning "the-camera-which-shall-not-be-named" here. ;) I have nothing against the camera, but it brings out the worst in people. Nikons bring out the best!

The last of the Canon bottom loaders were current with the Nikon S2. The IVSB-2 was probably the closest in features. The viewfinders are squinty by comparison, and Knob wind and Rewind were still utilized. Canon had to come out with the Vt and L1 to keep up. Those followed the Nikon S2 introduction by 18months.

I do not have a Canon P, but have a CLA'd Vt and VI-t. I have no problems with those finders, or the S2 finder.

If you take the lenses off I would think the difference in body weight is greater. The Nikkor lens is a hunk, off the top of my head when I had both in my hands I believe it to be heavier than the Canon 1.4.

I was just weighing cameras and lenses with my 1950s vintage German kitchen scale:

S2 with chrome 50/1.4 -- 700 grams
FM2 with 50/1.4 -- 850 grams
F (unmetered prism) and 50/1.4 -- 1025 grams
F2 (with DP1) and 50/1.4 -- 1200 grams

The accuracy of the scale seems to be +/- 25 grams.

Brian Sweeney said:
Okay. So what are the odds of Joe adding two more S2's to the Line-Up over the next 6 months? Warning: they tend to grow on you, had a couple of variations during the production run, and were made in large enough numbers that prices stay reasonable.

The S2 is a great shooter with the 50. And the roll I got back with the J-12 on it certainly shows the combo is usable.

I think the odds are 2-0 that Joe will add at least another S2 to his kit. One for the 35 and one for the 50!
Here in Vancouver a small, slightly demented group of photographers and others with no visible means of support meet on friday mornings at Cafe Zen up the street from where I live. This is a motley group, a doctor, a dentist, an architect, a couple of shooters, a painter etc - a mixed group, but all with an abiding interest in images.
Last friday, Jeff (former tech writer for Nippon Kogaku/Japan) brought his S2 and 50/2 and today Pierre, a recent addition explained that he had been showing his wife my flicker site. She looked at the pictures of some of the cameras and said" I have one of these" and went and got her grandfathers S2 with 50/1,4. Another "member" ( it is not a formal group in any form or fashion) admits to having either a S3 or Sp with three lenses in a safe in his storage.He cant remember the combination, but once he can find it, he will come along in the Nikon month. February is soon over so we better declare another month to Nikon's. Oh, hell any month is a good month!
A camera store bit the dust today and had a 1/2 price sale. No Nikon/Leica stuff but a couple of boxes of Agfapan 400/Delta 100/Tmax 100 at less than 1/2 price.
Maybe I should do another Nikon month with Agfa instead of Neopan. It would be good excuse.

Last edited:
with me one never knows just what might be next!

the plan is to shoot some still life stuff this weekend - new zm 50/1.5 -nikkor 50/1.4 - cz 50/1.5 and czj 50/2 - maybe on that mitsubishi 100 film.

i'd like to see the same shot with each lens.

tomorrow i will head out with the zi and 35/2 biogon for some zen like shooting and refuse to come home until i feel i've taken at least one good shot.

joe

Just wanted to chime in with
congratulations on your new toy.

Damn, the magnetic pull of these
beautiful old machines.

back alley said:
the plan is to shoot some still life stuff this weekend - new zm 50/1.5 -nikkor 50/1.4 - cz 50/1.5 and czj 50/2 - maybe on that mitsubishi 100 film.

I very much look forward to these shots, Joe ! Enjoy,

Roland.

1 of the last shots I took w/the S2 & 5cm/1.4 Nikkor-S combo:

400852740_0e73d01e89_o.jpg

Kodak Panatomic-X, 1/1000th sec. @ f/2.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/furcafe/400852740/

back alley said:
with me one never knows just what might be next!

i'd like to see the same shot with each lens.

tomorrow i will head out with the zi and 35/2 biogon for some zen like shooting and refuse to come home until i feel i've taken at least one good shot.

joe

Back