the s2 is here...

Brian Sweeney said:
I'm willing to bet a lot of people here would gladly pay $325 for that Black Canon P.

where do i sign up?

i have to admit that having another p is a secret desire on my part.
that 6l of kim's in the classifieds is wearing me down as well.
now that i have decided to forego a 35 for the nikon/contax i'm thinking about a ricoh grd to completely round out my wants.

jo

joe: Is the Biogon 35 no longer on the list? :p I'm getting so confused.

But I have learned that "I'm done" is the signal to hang on for Pooh's next great adventure...

earl, the 35 for the nikon/contax is off the list.

the zi will be the serious shooter and the lla/s2 are for fun with 50's time.
and it's frank who is finished. i just want for nothing.
of course that does not exclude me from buying binges.

joe

>>There is a black P advertised for $325? <<

Fred, the Nikon Hisoricial Society Webmaster, can get a little strident sometimes. When the subject of Canon RFs came up, he quipped something along the lines of "haven't paid attention to them in years ... are they all still $325? Can anyone tell the different models apart without Deckert's reference book?"

At least he was polite enough not to mention wrinkled shutters.

OK,all kidding aside,since this thread has turned into a comparison of the Nikon S2 and the Canon P, I like to make some historic comparisons.

The Canon P came out in 1958 and was sold until 1961...that Era was when the Nikon SP was on the market,so in essence the P was aimed directly at the SP and NOT the S2! How about comparing the SP's viewfinder to the P?
The Canon P(for Popular) had a total production of close to a 100,000 units, that equals to the total number of Nikon S2,S3,S3M,S4 and SP's produced before the 21st century!!

It is also worth mentioning that by late 1950s, Canon had given up the market of Pro Cameras and didn't catch up to Nikon until 1970!!

It is a wonder that we can make comparisons of these antique tools of photography decades after they became "Obsolete".

Kiu

I think the better comparison is Canon P versus Nikon S3. The S3 also came out in 1958 and was aimed at the advanced consumer/prosumer market (which, if you think about it, is probably the RFF market).

The two cameras have framelines for the same lenses. Canon's are parallax corrected. Nikon's aren't.

VinceC said:
I think the better comparison is Canon P versus Nikon S3. The S3 also came out in 1958 and was aimed at the advanced consumer/prosumer market (which, if you think about it, is probably the RFF market).

The two cameras have framelines for the same lenses. Canon's are parallax corrected. Nikon's aren't.

Yes, it's a bit unfair to compare the S2 (1954) with the P (1958). Keep in mind the S2 was Nikon's first RF camera with 1/1000s shutter speed and finder with framelines. End of 1954 Canon still produced the IV with its squinty finder, the S2 was well ahead of Canon!

This said, personally I prefer my Canon P's finder in terms of brightness, large viewing angle and three frames over the S2 finder. But just with a 1.4/50mm lens, the S2 is the best choice.

You will find out, Joe. Welcome to the club!

Hey, you guys have to read my posts from last night, I am proud, I said all that stuff about the P, S2, S3 yesterday.

back alley said:
earl, the 35 for the nikon/contax is off the list.

the zi will be the serious shooter and the lla/s2 are for fun with 50's time.

I seem to recall that you were not a fan of the 50's. Has this changed?

50's are not my strong suit, for sure.
having the zm 50/1.5 has strengthened my resolve to work with that focal length as i really like the results and the look of the photos from it.

joe

>>Hey, you guys have to read my posts from last night, I am proud, I said all that stuff about the P, S2, S3 yesterday<<

Rover,
You're clearly a man ahead of your time!

VinceC said:
>>Hey, you guys have to read my posts from last night, I am proud, I said all that stuff about the P, S2, S3 yesterday<<

Rover,
You're clearly a man ahead of your time!

I just wish I had your mad skills Vince.

Well, I have to fess up too. I happened across a 50/2 Nikkor which was delivered to me today. Knowing it was coming I threw the S2 in my bag, without lens, but I was at a loss for a front lens cap. I had to settle on a plastic Canon 42mm push on cap. It fits well, but I told my partner here that if the Nikon guys knew I put a Canon lens cap on a Nikkor lens........

Don't you all love joe's threads? we get to say whatever we want,we even get to say we put canon caps on Nikkors :(

Kiu

Back