the s2 is here...

Just looking at the P and S2 together, if the P also has a 1:1 magnifcation, then the S2/S3/SP have slightly longer baselengths, for slightly -- just slightly -- more accurate focusing. That's mainly helpful with the telephotos. Back before SLRs, Nikon telephoto lenses were the top of the heap, and the later Nikon RFs are excellent for shooting 105s and 135s. Half the old "found in a closet" Nikon kits for sale on EBay seem to come with a 50 and a 135.

I just now noticed, after all these years, that the S2 doesn't have a self-timer. S3 and SP have them. I use self-timers several times a year to take self portraits or family portraits with the camera propped up somewhere.

if the P also has a 1:1 magnifcation, then the S2/S3/SP have slightly longer baselengths

They do. Remember the Canon P is in essence a VI model camera. The baselength of the Canon finders was shorter than the Leica, Nikon and Contax cameras, but until the P they had a variable magnification finder which provided increased focusing accuracy. The P lost this variable magnification, but picked up the 1:1 image. The Canon 7 went the other way, longer baselength, smaller magnification.

Wow, Joe... what can I say?

Congratulations!

Heck, you really make it difficult to keep my resolve of not playing with any more RF systems. I had a Canon in my hands, and I liked it... a lot! I also held a Rolleiflex: the nicest, brightest viewfinder ever seen in a TLR. And I've been able to resist them all! :eek:

Now... after seeing that Ralph has both, and then you... It's going to be tough.

But one can always say "Good choice! You know how to pick 'em!" :)

ralph has leica, contax, nikon and canon!

i only have contax, nikon and zeiss ikon.

and he has way more 50's than i do too...

joe

With this standard lens obsession I'm tempted to say it's all back to the fifties... and to the lens race! :)

And I only have two 50s and two 35s... :(

congrats on your new Nikon S2 Joe.
the Canon P also had parallax controlled frame lines in the finder,
something that is missing on the S2 and S3.

That's it...I am going on a post strike!!:mad:

But Nah, I let you get away with it since you showed us a black one. I hope your curtains are not wrinkled:D

Fred, is that Camera repainted?:p

Kiu

wlewisiii said:
Potentially OT: I find this very interesting. I have not had the pleasure of either camera, though I have owned a IVSB & a 7. I consider a L1 fairly high on my "when I get a Canon RF again" list and the P quite a long ways lower (far past another IVSB or any of the 7 models. Even past a near mythical IVSB2 ... ;) . May I ask why you chose this way?

It might be best to take this to PM's.

Thanks!

William

Well, not to upset the lords of Nippon Kogaku with Canon talk, but I think I like the L1 better. Just my opinion at this moment, but more discussion of this should happen in the Canon forum I guess.

Okay. So what are the odds of Joe adding two more S2's to the Line-Up over the next 6 months? Warning: they tend to grow on you, had a couple of variations during the production run, and were made in large enough numbers that prices stay reasonable.

The S2 is a great shooter with the 50. And the roll I got back with the J-12 on it certainly shows the combo is usable.

Wow --- great side-by-side photos and review!

But how did you keep them from fighting with each other?:p

rover said:
Well, first things first, the S2 is a smaller camera in hand. Half the weight, it doesn't seem like that much of a difference, but dimensionally it is smaller.

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

And I had not noticed the green tinted viewfinder of the S2. The Canon P finder is cool toned, but very bright and clear. My P finder is brighter than my S2 finder. The RF patch though in the S2, warm toned is much more defined than the cooler P patch.

That said, I actually was fondling my cameras this weekend, the result was in fact that I am much more impressed with the P finder than I was before. Comparing my cameras, the P finder is bigger and brighter than the S2. Though the S2 patch is better defined, the brightness of the P finder more than makes up for it and makes its patch easy to see and use.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the P is a 5 year younger design than the S2. When compared to my L1 and VT the S2's finder does shine. I do not have an SP or S3 (P contemporaries) to add to the comparison, but I suspect there is a difference largely to be seen in my next comparison. The entry and exit pupil of the P finder is clearly larger than that of the S2. While both finders have a 1:1 magnification, the P accommodates 35mm framelines due to the fact that the finder simply has more viewable area.

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

To this point, I do think using a 35mm lens with the S2 is possible, but the 35mm framelines in the P are clearly wider than the viewable full area through the S2 finder. If you want to be careful with your edge composition with an S2/35mm combo you will have to really be into your finder and really look out to the edges. You have to do the same with the P finder, but not to the same degree because the framelines are there and you can see beyond them with a little work.

What else can I offer Joe?

Back