The street photographer in his elements

Yes, 1 of the Instax Wide models. Also, the only shot Frank actually takes in the video is the 1 of the videographer at the end; you can see the flash & then him pocketing the photo after it comes out of the camera. Based on my experience w/an Instax 500 AF & its tiny buttons & menu screen (plus the weird placement of the VF), I think Frank really was just another old guy fiddling w/the camera, not pretending to do so as a ruse.

Fuji Instax.

Are photographic legends created or they happen?

Nobody decides that they're going to be a legend one day, the label happens to them.

Robert Frank is a legend because he turned the world of photography upside down. And the proof of that is in his work, The Americans. Some people see it, some not. And neither are right or wrong.

And the label 'legend' is not something tangible, its not created, it just happens.

... you and Alan do that all the time though don't you? ... stick a 'great' or a 'legendary' before someones name to support your opinion

... you and Alan do that all the time though don't you? ... stick a 'great' or a 'legendary' before someones name to support your opinion

yeah it's nice to have real knowledge Stewie instead of the old American Bandstand response of it's got a good beat and fun to dance to. ;)

yeah it's nice to have real knowledge Stewie instead of the old American Bandstand response of it's got a good beat and fun to dance to. ;)

Couldn't one say that John Szarkowski was to making "legends" in the world of photography to what Dick Clark did for certain bands in making a song reach the Top 40 charts. The real power didn't all lie in the photographer during that era. Power was in the Art curator. Today galleries are losing that grip with social media.

Couldn't one say that John Szarkowski was to making "legends" in the world of photography to what Dick Clark did for certain bands in making a song reach the Top 40 charts. The real power didn't all lie in the photographer during that era. Power was in the Art curator. Today galleries are losing that grip with social media.

That is a good point but only if you wanted to exhibit at MOMA, right? And there are other curators at museums and galleries world wide that are gate keepers in all their own ways. Still nice to be able to express ones self beyond the basic or no? That way you can actually debate say a Szarkowski if you disagree with him and be able to substantiate your opinion if indeed you can.

Paul looking at photographs and reading about others that were great is a good thing if you are photographer, or no? Never been easier either.

I am thinking that it's one of these:
4144IF79rWL.jpg

And it looks to be a fiddly bugger. Quite an odd thing to be using on public transport. It's almost as if he's deliberately after being seen. I don't read French so I don't know what the point of the video/item on the sept.info web site is about.

I agree, though maybe he wanted to look like a tourist.

Using Chome or Google Translate in another browser works well enough, but the full article is limited to subscribers.

And it looks to be a fiddly bugger. Quite an odd thing to be using on public transport. It's almost as if he's deliberately after being seen. I don't read French so I don't know what the point of the video/item on the sept.info web site is about.

In this video, he's done it quite ok. Saw something, aimed and shot. It was quite unequivocal.

I was digressing in the sense that some guys are snapping from the hip or quickly shooting without even composing. That's hust wrong.

there are no rules....

4144IF79rWL.jpg

AHH Ok Thanks...

there are no rules....

Wow! Where have you been the last few days/weeks? We all had a meeting and decided that there were rules, many many rules...we just haven't agreed on what the hell they are yet ;):D

P.S. Lucky you, like most meetings it was long, arduous and eventually came full circle:rolleyes:

Wow! Where have you been the last few days/weeks? We all had a meeting and decided that there were rules, many many rules...we just haven't agreed on what the hell they are yet ;):D

P.S. Lucky you, like most meetings it was long, arduous and eventually came full circle:rolleyes:

Well, I learned about the no-hands rule.

HFL

... and that if it's a photo of feet you should probably include the feet. Fair bit to take in on just one thread to be honest.

Back