The street photographer in his elements

Indeed he does.
Former member of this parish and Canon RF enthusiast.

14019354158_829af8ae7d_c.jpg

Oh, yes, I've seen his picture but didn't know his name nor his RFF rank.

I apologize. ;)

WoW... I at times find myself fascinated with how photographic legends are created... often after the photographer has passed on. I have this feeling that most of them were driven to photograph what came their way. I don't think that they spent much time thinking about if, why or when to photograph...they just took the photograph...and some even left un developed rolls...!
There are photographs I've taken that I didn't really see until they really revealed themselves in a print tray or on a monitor screen.
This HCB image was on sale last week a silver gelatin 16x20 for only $19,000.
tumblr_nll1cm46Ad1r1rytko1_400.jpg
1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://36.media.tumblr.com/e5ab2dd7dd91d3a6bf55a459ea365fd5/tumblr_nll1cm46Ad1r1rytko1_400.jpg');" border="0">
Is this worth $19,000.00?

...still what makes a great photograph to me is it's ability to speak to us individually- "BOOM!" a silent visual slap upside your head.

Thanks Frank for posting that, doesn't bother me either. If it were a photo of feet then they would need to be there. It's clearly not about feet, its about that moment which in my opinion feet are not important to show.

Indeed he does.
Former member of this parish and Canon RF enthusiast.

I happened to meet Noel and went shooting with him for a nice morning in Chinatown London. The man is fast! He leaves me in dust in terms of moving/shooting speed :) He was sporting a Nikon F2 + 28mm lens on the day with shoe lace home made strap.
A portrait I took of him on that day:

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8642/16067177673_72fa3449ae_z.jpg');" border="0">
Noel by tuanvinh2000, on Flickr

About the video, it looks pretty normal. I shoot quite often on the subway. as long as you know the distance/the light (the space around you), it can be done very unobtrusively.

Nice shot. Great idea about the shoe lace strap. I need a strap for my T50. Perhaps I'll call it a Noel strap.;)

Well it does contain a circle Stewart, that's a good thing is it not.
I think it's a good example of what I said in a previous thread, content trumps composition.
Ideally you want both, but if you only have one then content is always much more interesting, and an image without interesting content can rarely be made interesting by composition alone. In my opinion of course.

Considering that $19k photograph...

It's very charming, but is it a great photo/great, or even good, art?
Obviously, the price is due to the name of its author; would anyone here consider it a 'keeper' and worth publishing as a stand alone item?

I do like it, and would keep it if I'd taken it myself, but with no context, outwith any other photographs or story to give it meaning, to me, it's a nice photo - end of story.

I don't want to start a punch up in this thread, lord knows there have been enough elsewhere, but what do others think?

Back