The street photographer in his elements

... that implies he was working to some prior knowledge, surely you can't be suggesting that?

Yes of course. He is very aware of how he sees and wanted his work to reflect his vision. Many at the time, like happens a lot with great work that doesn't follow, slammed his work because it didn't follow the preconceived ideas up until that point.
I'll post this again because that point is discussed in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHtRZBDOgag

I think a lot of what Winogrand said and did is valid in a street photography discussion or no? I think you've even brought him up in several threads? I also bring up Frank, Davidson, Danny Lyons, Meyerowitz and others depending on what the point is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHqPLIhCwE

After watching this video I feel challenged... I'd never dare to photograph inside a bus, but he has no fear...

It's not that difficult:

original.jpg

HFL

Not my problem. Like all art photography was/is in constant state of growth and flux and again it's not only my opinion of what was/is important.(history shows us) Frank, like it or not, was important and again you keep shifting the debate.

.. no your's is really just another opinion, sorry

Well, the first pages where an interesting interaction about the video...

Now, it's just personal......and boring and childish....

I came too late to add anything about the original discussion,
it will now just get lost in the quibbling that has almost more pages than the original discussion.

I am not better than any, just late to this thread to contribute anything to the original discussion.

Well, the first pages where an interesting interaction about the video...

Now, it's just personal......and boring and childish....

I came too late to add anything about the original discussion,
it will now just get lost in the quibbling that has almost more pages than the original discussion.

I am not better than any, just late to this thread to contribute anything to the original discussion.

Quite unfortunate. Could have been an interesting discussion, and looked like it was heading that way. Seems like anytime someone says something that someone else may disagree with, it gets nitpicked to death.

Quite unfortunate. Could have been an interesting discussion, and looked like it was heading that way. Seems like anytime someone says something that someone else may disagree with, it gets nitpicked to death.

Still can be an interesting discussion if it can ever get back to topic. :D

I think HSG has made some interesting observations as well as bringing up another thought provoking subject.

HSG have you ever seen Davidson's book Subway? Talk about up close and personal. He was influenced by a subway body of work Walker Evans did.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&ALID=2K7O3RJSJ42A

Picasso? Hofmann? Hoyland and the like you mean :)

Depends upon the genre of art. Cézanne, Rilke, Schoenberg, Kandinsky and Picasso. And oh yes Balzac.

Have you ever read, "A Fable of Modern Art", by Dore Ashton? The book is based upon Balzac's story, "The Unknown Masterpiece". I, if that matter's to you, being both an American and a New Yorker, a brilliant little book that links the beginnings of modernism.

Depends upon the genre of art. Cézanne, Rilke, Schoenberg, Kandinsky and Picasso. And oh yes Balzac.

Have you ever read, "A Fable of Modern Art", by Dore Ashton? The book is based upon Balzac's story, "The Unknown Masterpiece". I, if that matter's to you, being both an American and a New Yorker, a brilliant little book that links the beginnings of modernism.

.. no sorry, I wrote a dissertation on Spencer once, and did a lot of work on the Glasgow Boys at one time ... I was art school so we didn't read much literature

... but then I do know your list has a few frenchmen in it

Back