The way East (Caucasus/Central-Asia/Mongolia on a motorcycle)

Thanks for sharing, this is a thread that l will follow quite closely, beautiful images, images to be proud of

Thank you for sharing more of the images from your travel to the East, breathtaking imagery!

I am about halfway into your "From Estonia with Love" photo travel book, and I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying the book. Great storytelling and superb photography!

how did you eventually overcome that AMS.

The best cure was to go down, but decided to see if I can fight it since it meant I had to leave Tajikistan which I love too much by then. Took multiple days with medicine the local doctor gave me.

Beautiful reportage, both the texts and the photos.

Absolutely fascinating work.

Great Trip pics. It makes me feel like I'm riding along.
Thanks

Thanks for sharing, this is a thread that l will follow quite closely, beautiful images, images to be proud of

Thanks a million for the positive feeback guys! Makes me more motivated to continue with the report.

Thank you for sharing more of the images from your travel to the East, breathtaking imagery!

I am about halfway into your "From Estonia with Love" photo travel book, and I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying the book. Great storytelling and superb photography!

Bjørn, great to know you're already so far in the book and you like it!

Best regards,
Margus

SMX4239_s.jpg

The village where I was down with AMS for some days.

The window on the right is where I spend couple of days recuperating from AMS - but every downfall is an opportunity - I got to know the village!

I got to know the local people, including the local mechanics.

Boys delivering an old abandoned tyre from the Pamir highway to the tyre shop. Nothing is wasted here.

Pamir living - winters are incredibly harsh here, down to -50C is quite common. Hence there aren't many windows on the houses to preserve the heat inside.

Village children with candies, it's a real treat for them.

Really excellent photos and adventure riding story Margus. You are in the land of legends like Wilfred Thesiger. I had a little altitude sickness in Bhutan at 3,800 metres. The Royal Enfield was running quite sick too. I read afterwards what we should have done is to spend three days at 3,000 metres to acclimatise but the tour I was on didn't do that. John Mc

Really excellent photos and adventure riding story Margus. You are in the land of legends like Wilfred Thesiger. I had a little altitude sickness in Bhutan at 3,800 metres. The Royal Enfield was running quite sick too. I read afterwards what we should have done is to spend three days at 3,000 metres to acclimatise but the tour I was on didn't do that.

Thanks, that's such a high praise, John!

In reality I'm just a humble guy from Estonia, in and out.

Enfields are great bikes with lots of character, so life never gets boring riding those! :D

Cheers,
Margus

"It' so silent and peaceful here, the sky is deep blue, the air is clean, the water is pure and mineral rich. I'd never want to leave to the lower grounds,
let alone to a polluted city." . Elderly Tajik woman, she's mostly doing herding, living and working permanently at the harsh environment of 4000 meters
above the sealevel with skies so clear above your head

The Sisters made us a fine fried fish originating from a nearby lake situated at a staggering 4000 meters above sea level in one of the harshest places
in the whole Tajikistan where blizzard winters can easily drop to -50C. I thought fish can't live on those conditions and altitudes. They really know their stuff!

SMX4246_s.jpg

While walking around the village with my head still humming from the aftereffects of AMS I met a water girl bringing drinking water from the spring
well to her home. She was not very chatty, it's not normal to be towards a stranger, but still very curious about the life outside her village where she
hasn't been much.

Lovely images and storytelling. I would very much be interested in a book based off these images and your journals.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Best,

Justin

Our track finding a remote observatory high in the Pamirs.

SMX4199_s.jpg

V12 tank engine lost in the Pamirs - probably a Soviet Afghanistan invasion leftover from the 70s. Good quality iron.

Down the valleys you almost can't see the snowy peaks at the top.

Yamchun fortress. Located at staggering altitude and makes me wonder how far they had to go to build it eons ago...

Back