the world wants to know!?

Tom -- if you're shooting in jpg on "Auto" white balance you'll different scenes working and not working color-wise. I had a Lumix G1 first, then a series of used Nikons, each sold as I traded up: D40X, D300, D700, and now Df. The Df is the first one (with some adjusting of its prejudices) with which I can count on the white balance in indoor lighting. So play with your WB deep menu settings if you're getting super warm interiors as above.
V

sony's history does not bode well I'm afraid. They just sold their PC business. Remember the MD? Hopefully digital imaging will not suffer same fate.
the images look great btw :D

12352414214_4d379006d0_b.jpg

Of course, I could not resist turning the Sony 7 into a Monochrome. This is one of the first attempts - there are multiple settings for it, but I am slowly working my way through the various settings. I would not go to a restaurant with this many menus!! I am also trying out various lenses on it - this is with the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 in Nikon SLR mount. Very nice lens - extremely flare resistant too. It has small contacts in the mount so it can "talk" to Nikon DSLR's!!!!

Well I am not a hipster - but definitely a luddite. You should see me trying to make sense of the A7's menu's!

Hi Tom,

The Sony A7 manuals are pretty sucky. Be sure you have both the delivered instruction manual "Sony A7-A7r Instruction Manual.pdf" and the more exhaustive user guide "Sony ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf" you get from the Sony website. Neither is particularly great.

I do my B&W by rendering the raw files in Lightroom 5.3. I did these three photos last evening and put them together into a card for a friend's birthday:

felipe-jack-GDG-roger-composit_2014.jpg

Sony A7 + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 :: ISO 320 @ f/1.4

This sensor sure does a nice job with the Leica R lenses!

G

Coming from M2's and Nikon Rf's - anything more than 3 controls bugs me - aperture, shutter speed and distance - has worked for me for 50+ years! I can stumble through the menu and get everything set up - but suddenly the camera takes over and does something stupid (in my opinion) and I have to start over. I am amazed at the image quality and the flexibility of the Sony 7 - but I think every manufacturer of digital cameras should lock up the "nerds" for a while and have "normal" users write the manual. Or simply do an "a la Carte" version where you specified the functions you want and thats what you get. In my case, monochrome, simple iso settings (the Sony is actually quite good with that!), focus confirmation (I like the bright red edges - flash back to the 60's!) and simplified AE/manual exposure mode. However, I have to admit that I like the artificial horizon - not for using but just to play with, Feels like you are coming in for landing. Stuff like Wi-Fi, video etc holds no interest for me.

I'm not sure how I feel about such a dedicated film shooter dangling his toes in the digital tide?

This has disturbed my world a little! :D

Keith, no worries mate. I still have at least 3 camera loaded with film - and I do not leave home without two of them along - and occasionally the Sony. The biggest problem is that Tuulikki claims that the 7 is very comfortable in her hand - so I suspect I am on borrowed time here.

Coming from M2's and Nikon Rf's - anything more than 3 controls bugs me - aperture, shutter speed and distance - has worked for me for 50+ years! I can stumble through the menu and get everything set up - but suddenly the camera takes over and does something stupid (in my opinion) and I have to start over. I am amazed at the image quality and the flexibility of the Sony 7 - but I think every manufacturer of digital cameras should lock up the "nerds" for a while and have "normal" users write the manual. Or simply do an "a la Carte" version where you specified the functions you want and thats what you get. In my case, monochrome, simple iso settings (the Sony is actually quite good with that!), focus confirmation (I like the bright red edges - flash back to the 60's!) and simplified AE/manual exposure mode. However, I have to admit that I like the artificial horizon - not for using but just to play with, Feels like you are coming in for landing. Stuff like Wi-Fi, video etc holds no interest for me.

Pretty much the way I have mine setup it is that simple camera.

I only use A and M modes, have ISO set directly with the rear 4-way dial ring, have the AF/MF button set for focus magnification, and the down button set to toggle peaking on and off. I also map EV compensation to the front finger dial for A mode, and the C2 button will black out the LCD when I don't want it to bother me.

The rest of it I just ignore most of the time. Focus the lens, set the aperture I want to use, either tweak the EV compensation or switch to M mode and tweak the ISO/shutter speed. Frame and shoot. Move on to the next exposure. That's it.

G

Keith, no worries mate. I sell have at least 3 camera loaded with film - and I do not leave home without two of them along - and occasionally the Sony. The biggest problem is that Tuulikki claims that the 7 is very comfortable in her hand - so I suspect I am on borrowed time here.

I highly recommend the Gariz A7 half case. It keeps all body functions intact (even the down flip of the LCD screen) and greatly improve the grip of the camera. The quality is good and the crinkled leather they use for the A7 case is more "grippy" than their normal, smooth leather. I have one for every NEX body I've owned.

Not that I'm affiliated to Gariz in any way:D

4.jpg

IMO it also makes the A7 slightly more appealing visually...

willie it's not an insult to be a hipster or even, for some foks, a luddite. Nevertheless the statement that "The only people" etc is of course hyperbole.

12390466965_e57f96fb01_b.jpg

Scrambled the previous message! Leica Apo-Telyt 180mm f3.4 on the Sony 7. This lens is designed to be used wide-open and at infinity. I had to boost the contrast slightly in LightRoom.

How does the manual focus work on the A7 ?
is it kind of like a ground glass where it all becomes sharp at once or is there an electronic version of a split image ?

how easy and quick can you focus ?

The Sony 7 has an electronic viewfinder - a very good one too. The focus confirmation consists of a red outline of whatever is in focus. You can change the colour but I have kept the red"bars" as they are easy to see - and has a bit of 60's hallucinogenic look to them! It is not fool proof, but works remarkably well for manual lenses.

How does the manual focus work on the A7 ?
is it kind of like a ground glass where it all becomes sharp at once or is there an electronic version of a split image ?

how easy and quick can you focus ?

To my eye it is much like a very high quality SLR viewfinder, but as Tom says, it has both focus peaking and focus magnification as aids. I usually use neither, focus it just as I do with the Nikon F with simple matte fresnel focusing screen. It depends upon the lens you're using yo some degree as some lenses are more contrasty than others.

In fact, the viewfinder is almost identical to the one in the Olympus E-M1.

G

I take a picture, develop the film and I have something to look at against a lamp or lightbox - and I can do it today or living long enough, decades from now, without having to reformat anything - just file it in it's file page.

A little off topic, but thanks for reminding of this fact again, Tom.

12419325903_aa97301836_c.jpg

Sony 7 with Leica Elmarit 60mm f2.8 and generic R-M adapter. I shot it at 1/400s and stopped down to f16. Iso became 6400 - and certainly looks better than film at speed.

Back