Canada Toronto

Found this thread very entertaining. I worked in Toronto for many months some years ago. There was lots to do there then. Where did it all go??

Ned, you may need to found your own city.

This guy knows what's up.

Damn straight, Skippy.
This isn't my first rodeo, and I speak from experience.
The "Beer and Gear" schmoozefests in local pubs weren't particularly interesting, so I stopped attending.
If it's going to be just more of the same, I'll pass.

Damn straight, Skippy.
This isn't my first rodeo, and I speak from experience.
The "Beer and Gear" schmoozefests in local pubs weren't particularly interesting, so I stopped attending.
If it's going to be just more of the same, I'll pass.

See, for me, photographing, like motorcycling, is a solo thing. Walking down the street in a group of photographers taking pictures is as much fun for me as a large group motorcycle ride, which is, none at all.

Getting together for me, means precisely those schmoozfests that you don't like. Different strokes.

I'll make it easy for you guys.

Every Sunday morning, between 8 - 10am at Kensington market.

Why? there's no people there that early. I usually go in the afternoons when the yuppies from out of town show up. Though I may have bumped into you. I frequent Kensington when I feel lazy and want to shoot "street" on "easy" mode.

Magnum sends a few photographers every year for Contact festival and Magnum workshops in Toronto.

The CONTACT festival is first rate and a great opportunity to see photography from big museums to corner cafés...just terrific.

I took part in 2014 in a group show and it was really rewarding. Also a great chance to walk around and make more pictures. Highly recommend.

no offense to those who do but aren't people getting tired of shooting in kensington mkt ? I like the area (was raised stone's throw) but the area has lost it's appeal for me and my camera for the most part. it's too 'cool' and hipster now (more augusta st than kensington ave, which has somehow kept it's boho vibe). I prefer putting the rich and posh in the viewfinder instead...

Why? there's no people there that early. I usually go in the afternoons when the yuppies from out of town show up. Though I may have bumped into you. I frequent Kensington when I feel lazy and want to shoot "street" on "easy" mode.

Sunday mornings are relaxed so its good for socializing.

People can socialize and then go and shoot solo or with someone.

I don't mind shooting solo or in a group.

no offense to those who do but aren't people getting tired of shooting in kensington mkt ? I like the area (was raised stone's throw) but the area has lost it's appeal for me and my camera for the most part. it's too 'cool' and hipster now (more augusta st than kensington ave, which has somehow kept it's boho vibe). I prefer putting the rich and posh in the viewfinder instead...

Everyone has different taste buds. That's a good thing.

I'll keep that in mind, but I somewhat agree with another post that when I go out it's a solo act. Cheers.

I shoot solo but if there is a group, I'm not going to leave them because 'I shoot solo'.

This thread is about socializing and that is why I recommended the most photographed location in Toronto, on a Sunday morning - for socializing.

The CONTACT festival is first rate and a great opportunity to see photography from big museums to corner cafés...just terrific.

I took part in 2014 in a group show and it was really rewarding. Also a great chance to walk around and make more pictures. Highly recommend.

Thanks to Contact I have been able to attend lectures by some of the top magnum photographers, from alex webb to costa manos to bruce gilden and many more.

oh I agree with you. I hate going to kensington. As mentioned, I only go when I just want to waste film, I'm testing a camera or I'm having empinada lunch. Ive been trying to get out to different areas lately.

See, for me, photographing, like motorcycling, is a solo thing. Walking down the street in a group of photographers taking pictures is as much fun for me as a large group motorcycle ride, which is, none at all.

Getting together for me, means precisely those schmoozfests that you don't like. Different strokes.

I'm with FrankS on this. Not so much a question of fun, but that I'm never able to take good pictures in that kind of group setting. I'm more for schmooze and booze, and it's great when some people bring some prints along.

Back