Votes: 222 58.3%
  • No, I use a monopod.

Votes: 26 6.8%
  • No, I use a beanbag

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • No, never.

Votes: 107 28.1%

• Total voters
No problem, Scott. RA is short for rheumatoid arthritis. I use an old Leica tripod I picked up on the auction site about a year ago. I never used to use one, but my physical issues reached the point where it became necessary. Works great, although you do get some curious looks from bystanders. :)

Jeff

That is real hard I have the same syndrome but no where near as serious and I get long periods of remission, and I'm not a youngster like you, so sorry.

I use a monopod sometimes, curious looks are nothing, last weeks typical from a friendly person 'whoa a film camera', I was loading a Kiev. The mono pod is a lot lighter and nearly as stable.

Noel

JeffGreene said:
No problem, Scott. RA is short for rheumatoid arthritis. I use an old Leica tripod I picked up on the auction site about a year ago. I never used to use one, but my physical issues reached the point where it became necessary. Works great, although you do get some curious looks from bystanders. :)

Jeff/Noel -- Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Jeff, I assume you're referring to one of the Leica tabletop tripods. I'm always on the lookout for better ways to support my cameras to minimize vibration.

I have a neckpod (strap around neck with support tube that has a ballhead) and beltpod (hooks on belt, tube to ballhead).

Thanks!/ScottGee1

It's all down to using the tools for the job. For wildlife, which is a lot of my photography, I use a dSLR often with lenses up to 800mm and always use a tripod or beanbag on the vehicle or building window. Even with image stabilisation I couldn't hold these long lenses. Equally I wouldn't these days consider using a rangefinder - this is the area where SLR and digital reign supreme in my view.

For pictorial and wide angle work where I use the rangefinder film camera I rarely use tripod or but always use a window frame or arm rest as available, preferably with a beanbag or some padded support.

Scott

Hey its part of getting old and only really stops me from playing pool. Or using folders which are left handed, I can still use a folder it is more difficult than it should be.

I've got a harness which fits round the neck and has a sling for the bottom of the monopod but never used it. If you want to see detail in a landscape - it a slow film (like Kchrome 25 alas) and bean bag, lamppost, monopod or tripod. I'd concur with Mike_j.

The Contax II (early Kiev) flip out base is useful, for sneaky table top shots.

Really like the tabular 100's e.g. Delta100 or Fchrome 100, alas the Kodak chrome is 3 weeks + turn around from here.

Noel

mike_j said:
It's all down to using the tools for the job. For wildlife, which is a lot of my photography, I use a dSLR often with lenses up to 800mm and always use a tripod or beanbag on the vehicle or building window. Even with image stabilisation I couldn't hold these long lenses. Equally I wouldn't these days consider using a rangefinder - this is the area where SLR and digital reign supreme in my view.

For pictorial and wide angle work where I use the rangefinder film camera I rarely use tripod or but always use a window frame or arm rest as available, preferably with a beanbag or some padded support.
Hmmm . . . Lessee . . . 800mm with a crop factor would be about 1200mm.

Yeah, I'm thinking even with the 1.25x finder accessory that might be a bit tough for an 'M' cam. :eek:

Actually, I've wondered about how much value IS adds to really long lenses that almost have to live on a tripod. The cost premium is substantial and I don't know if it's worth it. This from a guy whose longest lens is 300mm only because it wasn't available in a shorter version.

;) /ScottGee1

Last edited:
scottgee1 said:
Jeff, I assume you're referring to one of the Leica tabletop tripods. I'm always on the lookout for better ways to support my cameras to minimize vibration.

I have a neckpod (strap around neck with support tube that has a ballhead) and beltpod (hooks on belt, tube to ballhead).

Thanks!/ScottGee1

Scott:
Appreciate the empathy, but its not necessary. It's like anything else, you can get used to mostly anything, even pain. But in answer to your question, yes, it's a Leica tabletop, and it works beautifully for me. I was never able to use a monopod effectively. Too much swaying :<) LOL
I usually lean against something when using the chestpod. Works well for me. That whole becoming "two legs of the tripod" with the third being the monopod just never worked for me.

Noel's experience is similar to mine as well. My granddaughter likes to go out with me. I gave her one of my GSN's and the first time she pressed the shutter, she turned to me and asked how she could see what the picture looked like! :eek: Instant feedback, I'm sure contributes to a more rapid understanding of the principles of photography, but there still is something special about watching that image appear in the darkroom. I explained that we were doing "old-fashioned" photography. She has since begun to appreciate those great darkroom smells and output. In fact, she gave a presentation to her class (she's seven) on why she likes using film. "Get 'em young, I always say! :)

JeffGreene said:
Scott:
SNIP!

Noel's experience is similar to mine as well. My granddaughter likes to go out with me. I gave her one of my GSN's and the first time she pressed the shutter, she turned to me and asked how she could see what the picture looked like! :eek: Instant feedback, I'm sure contributes to a more rapid understanding of the principles of photography, but there still is something special about watching that image appear in the darkroom. I explained that we were doing "old-fashioned" photography. She has since begun to appreciate those great darkroom smells and output. In fact, she gave a presentation to her class (she's seven) on why she likes using film. "Get 'em young, I always say! :)

LOL!! Wow! Seven is early -- glad to hear it. Great that you get to spend time together.

None of the young 'uns in our family is interested in photography. Might take a pic now and then, but photography? Nah!

Our grandtwins are six and a half and are still learning to adapt to what I use. When I shoot film they inevitably demand to "Let me see! Let me see!" immediately after I make a shot and when I show them the back of the camera they give me quizzical looks then say, "Aaaahhh!" and run off.

And, apropos to this thread, I never use a tripod with them. ;)

ScottGee1

Never with my Ms, but yes, when appropriate with my RF645. I like the Velbon tripods, such as the 600, 700 etc. They are sturdy, resiliant, cheap and fast to use. Not flashy or cool, but I find them easy to use and very good value. The quick release is included and very easy to use, with cheap extra plates (unlike some). These tripods were sturdy enough for my Ebony RSW45 and same goes for my RF645. Highly recommended for anything up to Mamiya 7/RF645 and lighter large format...all for $100, incl head and plates. I have two, second bough as first stuck in different country!

I have a short velbon monopod with manfrotto screw on balhead wich i can tie on my bicycle and a gitzo table tripod, very smal and useful extends up to about 50cm. This combo is great for traveling light. For going in to town and backpacking a Gitzo weekender and at home a heavy manfrotto wich almost never gets used.

When I do, it's a Minolta TR-1, a Leica Table Top clone that I find a better size than my Leica one.

When I need really slow and I'm not carrying her, I hold my camera against a tree/post/ground.

B2

I've been liking to do a bit of night photography recently, for that I obviously pull out the tripod, when in studio, I use it a lot too, apart from that, I hardly ever use it

I've got a nice tripod strapped down inside the trunk of my car, but I find that I almost never use it. Mostly I just use it for long exposures. For me, that tends to be most often digital infrared with my unmodified DSLR.

Tripod? Huh... I can count the number of times I've used the Slik 88 on one hand.
I'll have technique over a tripod anyday. :)

If it can't be handheld, it's not worth the shot. :)

What with this thing about doing longish exposures hand held, I don't use a tripod as much as I should. I've also become lazy about carrying one, though the light one is pretty light.

Back