• No, I use a monopod.

Votes: 26 6.8%
  • No, I use a beanbag

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • No, never.

Votes: 107 28.1%

• Total voters
Delap said:
I bought a good manfrotto 190 years ago, and used it very seldom:always too heavy when you start packing for a 3-day walk !
You must be very used to it by now. Wow, did they make them back then? :eek:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

I have a small light tripod and a small light monopod and use them from time to time. when I do use them it is because I need them for the kind of shot I want to take. I think of them like an extra lens that enables me to get a shot I normally would not get hand-held.

I have used them the result was well worth it.

Generally the subject of my photography doesn't lend to tripod use. It's been maybe once with a borrowed tripod on landscape outing, and a few times for still life on 5x7". Otherwise I have my own "program mode" when operating handheld camera.

When the light is available in excess, I establish the zone of focus desirable, step down accordingly and set matching shutter speed for exposure. If it happens to slower than 1/f, or 1/(2*f) with long lenses, I would try to open up aperture a bit. In ideal case however, the shutter speed will max out shutter speed dial on my camera (1/1000s): this assures virtually no motion registering, be it subject or my hand. Am confident that at the top speed with a normal lens, the negative will hold more detail than my scanner is capable to capture.

From that, as light fades I gradually open up aperture trying to maintain speed around 1/f, and when at the widest opening, slowing down the shutter too. The ratio of acceptable sharpness goes down quickly from there, but I would still rather try taking a shot even at 1/2 second handheld or bracing a support - sometimes it turns out surprisingly nice.

This sounds a lot like aperture priority mode on automatic cameras, but the virtue of doing it yourself on all-manual camera is the multitude of subject- and light-dependent exceptions to the general rule that you soon learn to recognize and implement.

I voted for never, but almost never (0.5%) is closer to the truth.

I voted never as well, but I do use one every so often, plus I did get a monopod last year. I have to say I use one for far less than 1% of my shots, which is very close to never. :)

I use a tripod for night shots, macro and when doing studio work, the latter two done typically with a Hasselblad. I've noticed over time that I am more likely to handhold at slower shutter speeds, even braving the occasional one second exposure. Over time, the use of the rangefinder camera as well as experience have taught me that I do not have to follow "the rules" when it comes to my own images. Certainly not all of these experiments are successful, but enough of them are to warrant trusting my own understanding.

As for tripods being anathema to some kinds of photography, well that a personal choice. I remain a fan whatever works to get the picture. For me, that will at times require a tripod, but mostly it doesn't.

I haven't chimed in on this one yet but I have voted...less than 50% of the time...
I do own six of these tools but most of my shooting doesn't allow for their use...
I use them when I can and when I should...

I've been thinking about a monopod but don't know if it's something I would really use...for the owners of such items when do you use them and how do you like them???

I would say currently less than 2% because my old Slik really sucks. Occasionally I use a Gitzo Monopod with a small-ish Manfrotto ballhead. But I took the plunge and charged my card with orders of a GT2531 and RRS BH40 both in the mail :D.
Reason why : I'll try to really get the maximum image quality for some BW shots and I'll do a comparison on PanF 50 on the tripod vs handheld 400ISO. I'll show some pics if this turn out to be interesting.

Icebear - you'll enjoy using the new tripod with the RRS head. :)

I use a Manfrotto carbon-fibe tripod with an Acratech ball head, most often with dSLR or medium-format film. I find it helps me to slow down and think more about my framing and composition, and of course it eliminates any chance of camera shake spoiling the image.

Hi Chris,

I'm eargerly looking forward to shlepping it through NYC ;) the tripod on one and the photobag on the other shoulder. Maybe I'll realize it just a pain but I do hope for some really awesome IQ. Although a boring pic with great IQ is still a boring pic.- I'll see what I can come up with.
Anyway I did quite some research on the web reading tons of comments and also got in touch with the folks at RRS when I was quite sure that it will be the BH40. I also asked them about Gitzo basalt tripods and they only recommend carbon fiber because of better absorbtion properties ( ....best on the planet). If not going for Carbon I should better stay with Aluminum than the basalt, they really don't like that stuff....
I followed their advice and I'm waiting for the mail.

Happy shooting.

more than 50%

more than 50%

I have a little tripod type thing that i use with the XA whenever i can, I find the bigger tripods a pain to carry but for the Evil slr in low light it's essential for me.
I think a tripod is worth the extra effort ...

:D

If you claim never to have used a tripod and are adamant that you never wiill then you're missing the photographic boat IMO!

Don't use mine a lot ... maybe 10% or less of the time but I wouldn't be without it!

I voted "never", though I do use one every once in a blue moon. I hate carrying one around, setting it up and then putting it away. I prefer fast lenses & film.

it really does depend on what i'm shooting, what i'm shooting with, in terms of Rangefinder, almost never, but if i'm doing commercial work, or shooting with MF or LF then nearly all the time

Rarely, but indispensable when the occasion arises.
The trick IMHO is knowing how light a support you can get away with, and when you need to carry it.
I have a Gorillapod that I carry around if I know I'm going to be shooting a landscape from a rock, an interior from a table, or a cityscape from railings. It's certainly not ideal, but it weighs nothing - which is to say, as much as I'm prepared to carry when travelling.
I've also experimented with just a Gitzo CF monopod + ballhead and some paracord to tie it to railings [square lashing, anyone?]. Works better than the gorillapod actually, but is certainly not as convenient to carry around.:rolleyes:

Well - voted below 50%, as I do not shoot 4x5 so much as I do with My Rolleiflex T. But even with the Rolleiflex the small table-top tripod from Manfrotto does a great job and the waist finder makes it easy to use such a small tripod even on a ground, where without an angle finder it would be very uncomfortable (or even impossible as the camera needs to point up usually) to focus & compose with SLR or RF as the viewfinder would be only some 15 cm above the ground.

I occasionally use a tripod, at night or if I'm using medium format. Both of those things are quite rare however, and I enjoy the freedom of handheld, 35mm photography.

A folding Leitz tabletop tripod with the larger ball head is always carried in my kit.

If I'm out on a "hunt" a light weight Manfrotto monopod with a ball head and bungee cord is slung on my back, and if I'm driving, there's always a tripod handy.

I learned a long time ago, that a rigidly mounted camera of any format, at any shutter speed, will yield the absolute best result. The issue is to determine what is necessary for the executiion of the image and what baggage can be comfortably carried.

I should qualify my vote with the folowing:
Almost always when using my Mamiya 7ii
Almost never with the 35mm rf's
About 50% with the Bronica SQb

And since we are talking about tripods we should talk about shutter releases. I manage to destroy them at an alarming rate. They rarely last a month. So, which release do you use...better to buy a top quality release or stock up on a bunch of el cheapos?

Best regards,

Bob

The amount I use a tripod may now go back up, in order to get the maximum possible quality out of the M9. The images really are comparable with good slides.

Cheers,

R.

Back