Vertical Line Problem

Vertical Line Problem

• I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist.

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem and it exists.

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it exists.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I have never check my M8 for this problem.

Votes: 23 16.4%

• Total voters

secon

Local time
7:27 AM
I have faced with a huge vertical line problem with my Leica M8. I have 10 more months for guarantee so I sent it back. But since some other users reported the same problem for their copies I am very concerned in the long run. Even if they supply me a new one, I may not be sure about that it won't happen again in some time and if I am in a out of guarantee situation then this would make me really crazy.

I am thinking about what if almost all M8s have this vertical line problem but some will become apparent in the long run, when people use their M8s much more. I have used many DSLRs from Canon and Nikon and I did not suspect any such problem. I think we should determine how much per cent of M8s have this problem.

If any of you guys have any idea about this issue please let us know that. And users of M8, please check whether you have this problem. Since you need to check for it carefully in order to detect, maybe some of us do have this problem but they are not aware of it.

Respect,

Serkan

That's interesting. I've seen a vertical line on mine in the lower right corner with high iso (2500) and severely underexposed. Otherwise it doesn't show up and obviously I try to avoid such conditions.

Whatever the vertical line problem is. Do you mean the banding problem that can happen when you hava light directly from the front?
Could you please be more specific or direct me to some sample pictures?
Thank you.

kipkeston: I think I had this one on high iso settings but recently another huge vertical line becomes apparent at all iso settings. And that was depressing. That's why I am concerned about in long run.

tom.w.bn.: I don't have the files with me right now. I may upload them but you can see some other examples in this forum with the "vertical line problem" tag. and that is not the banding problem. I also got banding problem but I think M8s already have that one and it only emerges in some certain situations.

well, i know that line... you'r m8 is pooched. they will more than likely replace it and if they don't, demand it.
it's a sensor problem that was prevalent in the first batch of m8's.
all the folks i know who had the issue ended up with a new m8, me included.
the good news is the replacement m8 they sent me worked flawlessly for a year and a half of daily use... heavy, daily use.

That's the dreaded but well known Leica M8 problem.
here, let me fix that for you...
That's the dreaded but well known digital sensor problem.

I've been teaching a class on studio lighting this semester and just 2 weeks into it I've seen 3 cameras have sensor fails out of 2 classes of 10 students each from both nikon and canon and each camera was less than 6 months old.

Remember...digital cameras, no matter how many megapixels they can cram into them right now/how advanced we think they are, are still a young technology and are subject to these kinds of issues which is why warranties are important.

Last edited:
I've seen 3 cameras have sensor fails out of 2 classes of 10 students each from both nikon and canon and each camera was less than 6 months old.

Oh no! Not flawless dirt-cheap it can leap off tall buildings, fly faster than a speeding bullet and X-ray vision Uber-Nikon! Is this the beginning of the end for Nikon?

Surely you must be lying and be on Leica's payroll :rolleyes:

Fix what for me?

The M8 (maybe only the early ones?) are notorious for this particular problem, and like emraphoto said, Leica will or at least should replace the camera regardless if it is under warranty or not. That problem is too present in the M8 line. Everybody knows it, Leica knows it.

Some Nikon or Canon cameras may have this problem but I think it is not that common. If only early production M8s do exhibit this problem, Leica must have been call all this M8s back to Solms. But as Goldorak said, if even it is present in the M8 line now, that may be huge disaster for Leica. And also what if the problem emerges after your guarantee period is over? Do you have any idea how much Leica will charge you to replace M8 sensor?

i may be wrong but i don't think it is a problem that comes on gradually... i think the sensor displays the problem or it doesn't. it may take you a while to notice, or it may take a certain circumstance to show it's face.

just send it off, email a file or two showing it to the person you have called and are holding accountable at leica (hint hint) and say you want it replaced. if you let them "check it out" or "try and fix it" it will be months before you see it. as well confirm all the items you sent off with the m8 as it goes back to leica. email it to said leica rep and make sure you get it all back.

it sucks to lose the camera for a while but in the long run you are going to want a new one. try and squeeze another year of warranty out of them.

Emraphoto, this is not like that. I don't have a huge vertical line in my photos previously (after using it about a year). Maybe a few vertical line in high iso setting but not this one which can be detected in all iso settings. Recently, a huge vertical line which also have a light spot on it, has emerged. It seems this is a gradual problem and this makes me crazy about this camera.

I am considering to exchange my M8 (if they send me a new one and also in Turkey, guarantee agreement conditions do have a clause of sending new one if it can't be repaired in 30 days) with a M7 and film scanner.

yeah, mine wasn't huge either... quite thin actually. but hey, when you are paying that kind of $ for a camera then it shouldn't be an issue.
i am sure they will have to replace it as the only fix possible is a new sensor.
good luck!

Good for you Tom. Hope you don't see them in the future. Leica service called me today. He said he saw and reported the problem to SOlms and behaf of that problem he detect 3 dead pixels.

Does anyone have any idea about what Leica would do if the guarantee period over? They may stand back to their cameras after guarantee is over.

Upgrade the shutter or something. Then it will be under warranty again. It's expensive (and a workaround that shouldn't be required), but the shutter is nice, too.

I just sent my M8 in to Leica because of fluorescing pixels along with one dead pixel where a line extends through the image from. I discovered these artifacts after a recent shoot where I was shooting ISO 640 @ f2 in the darker regions of the image. The pixels show up as red, blue, and green spots in about half of the images.

Is this an example of the Problem?
Voigtlander 12mm. M8, no warranty :(
banding.jpg

indeed,the issue is there. just noticed it yesterday and found this thread now.
camera is 2 weeks old, new rather. "my line" - perhaps we can call it - Miline
is just in the middle of the image area, like halving it. oh. yeah, really nice :mad:

Attachments

• L1000390_vertical_line_unsharp_6x4.jpg
    L1000390_vertical_line_unsharp_6x4.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
Back