Vertical Line Problem

Vertical Line Problem

• I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist.

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem and it exists.

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it exists.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I have never check my M8 for this problem.

Votes: 23 16.4%

• Total voters
I have 3107xxx with no blue line problem. Also have # 3101xxx that has a vertical one-pixel blue line from edge to edge about 2760 pixels to the right of the left edge of the horizontal frame. 640 ISO.

Not so visible with noise reduction in processing or with jpeg output, but with sharp no-noise reduction TIFFs it's most obvious in dark areas of the image seen at 100%. I've had the camera for over a year, but had never done this level of pixel-peeping until I heard about the blue line problem and set out to check my gear.

The M8 with that problem has just been sent to PopFlash, where I bought it as a "demo" with no warranty card, and they assure me they'll work it out. Good service. I enclosed with the bare camera body a CD with two original DNG files and processed matching TIFFs with orange arrows at each end of the line. I'll see if I can create and attach a 100% crop...

Attachments

• 080422-45crop.jpg
    080422-45crop.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is this an example of the Problem?
Voigtlander 12mm. M8, no warranty :(
banding.jpg
No. In certain circumstances (bright highlight just on the edge of the image) every M8 will do this. There is no cure. Fortunately it does not happen too often. I saw it in three shots in 20.000

Just receive my M8 after hot pixel-line repair from NJ, look like OK, shutter now is much smooth, no more clacked sound, interesting, they replaced CCD.

way to test

way to test

What's the easiest way to test for this? I can't see it shooting in a variety of lighting situations, is it only seen in RAW? Does it show on the LCD at all?

No. In certain circumstances (bright highlight just on the edge of the image) every M8 will do this. There is no cure. Fortunately it does not happen too often. I saw it in three shots in 20.000

What's the easiest way to test for this? I can't see it shooting in a variety of lighting situations, is it only seen in RAW? Does it show on the LCD at all?

The green bloom should appear on the LCD, the line won't, it is 1 pixel or 2 wide, so a walk across a developed RAW file shot at higher ISO's viewed at 200% is the way to look.

If you are out of warranty I was told it would be $1500 to replace the sensor in NJ.

There seem to be a couple different types or variations of the line problem. See my details in post #23. Since then it's gone back to Leica USA and got a new sensor, with thanks to Tony at PopFlash for handling it smoothly. You can bet I closely examined current 100% TIFFs having no noise reduction and assured myself there's no problem now.

Since then it's gone back to Leica USA and got a new sensor, with thanks to Tony at PopFlash for handling it smoothly...

Do you have the name of the contact person at Leica USA? I'm trying to get mine fixed/sensor replaced, but so far 2 reps I've been talking to are not very helpful in this regard and only say that this is part of the M8 algorithm...(so on and so forth) and is not offering me a sensor fix/replacement

Hi -- Sorry, I had my dealer handle it. A lady from Leica USA did phone for confirmation and a first-hand description of the problem after she got the first fax from the dealer, but I didn't get her name. As I described in detail the blue line appearance and orientation it was clear she recognized the symptoms. I also had the shutter and viewfinder upgrades done at the same time for convenience.

Last edited:
Do you have the name of the contact person at Leica USA? I'm trying to get mine fixed/sensor replaced, but so far 2 reps I've been talking to are not very helpful in this regard and only say that this is part of the M8 algorithm...(so on and so forth) and is not offering me a sensor fix/replacement

They must be either temps or really incompetent. If you get a third person to say this to you, do get their name. They should be fired for talking out of their ...

They must be either temps or really incompetent. If you get a third person to say this to you, do get their name. They should be fired for talking out of their ...

Oh, I've been emailing with people higher up who have the word "manager" in their titles (I don't want to be more specific and get them in trouble)... I kept getting transfer from one level of people to another. And mind you, my problem has more than just one-pixel line at high ISO; but in some cases--multiple lines, and in one of my pictures--a wide streak of bright blue band going across a picture (around 5-10% of the picture width). Of course I sent samples to show the range of my problem (4 different original DNGs)... After a month of waiting for email replies, now still I'm waiting for an email reply from another "manager" (higher up)...

I'm starting to think that they are caring less and less about M8 service after the M9 came out(?)... My M8 is out of warranty as I bought it used from a forum member. Though I paid Leica USA (NJ) out of my own pocket to have the M8 CLA'ed and checked just over a month ago. (I found the vertical line problem not long after getting it back from Leica.)

How should I persuade them into understanding and have the sensor replaced? Any suggestions? I've already mentioned that I know that it's a fairly common problem and a number of online forum members were able to get the sensor replaced... (why not me?? :bang: ) And from the replies I got from different people at Leica USA (NJ), they all seemed to be surprised by my DNG files... taking weeks to look over the problem of what's going on with the DNGs...

Help? Please?

I’m waiting to hear back from LEICA support to see how much they want to charge me to remap the sensor.
In the mean time, there is free software called pixel fixer that will remove the line caused by a dead pixel. All you need to do is download the software and add the pixel coordinates for the dead pixel and it can batch process your DNG files and remove the vertical lines.

http://www.pixelfixer.org/

Too bad Pixelfixer doesn't run on Mac. On my shots taken before the sensor was fixed by LeicaUSA, I have been removing the line in the TIFF files manually. I locate the line (always in the same place, so relatively easy), Select All, move the near border of the selection to be adjacent to the line, hit the appropriate arrow key, which moves the selected part to close up the unwanted line. Save and go to the next. Of course this won't work on TIFFs that were rotated a bit in RAW processing...

Oh, I've been emailing with people higher up who have the word "manager" in their titles (I don't want to be more specific and get them in trouble)... I kept getting transfer from one level of people to another. And mind you, my problem has more than just one-pixel line at high ISO; but in some cases--multiple lines, and in one of my pictures--a wide streak of bright blue band going across a picture (around 5-10% of the picture width). Of course I sent samples to show the range of my problem (4 different original DNGs)... After a month of waiting for email replies, now still I'm waiting for an email reply from another "manager" (higher up)...

I'm starting to think that they are caring less and less about M8 service after the M9 came out(?)... My M8 is out of warranty as I bought it used from a forum member. Though I paid Leica USA (NJ) out of my own pocket to have the M8 CLA'ed and checked just over a month ago. (I found the vertical line problem not long after getting it back from Leica.)

How should I persuade them into understanding and have the sensor replaced? Any suggestions? I've already mentioned that I know that it's a fairly common problem and a number of online forum members were able to get the sensor replaced... (why not me?? :bang: ) And from the replies I got from different people at Leica USA (NJ), they all seemed to be surprised by my DNG files... taking weeks to look over the problem of what's going on with the DNGs...

Help? Please?

I full CLA should have gotten you a certificate for a full year guaranty - I am starting to get the feeling somebody over there has taken a dislike against you....

Back