Visiting Chicago or New York or San Francisco

Hi Raid. I grew up in Chicago, but I don't have any relevant information to pass along except to avoid the far west side and anything south of The Loop.

I have lived in San Francisco, then Marin County, for the last 25 years and it is a very different place than it was. The crime is out of control here thanks to the SF DA. He pretty much refuses to prosecute anything these days. If you're caught red-handed breaking into a car, you'll be given a ticket and released right where you are. It's crazy.

I would strongly suggest being very careful about walking around with a nice camera pretty much anywhere in the city. There are bands of thieves that target photographers and they will steal your stuff before you know what happened. There are usually a couple guys following the guy doing the crime to help him in case of any John Wayne situations. If you want to get the Golden Gate Bridge picture that PKR posted above, do not do it at sunrise. I lived in Sausalito, about a mile from that vantage point, for 15 years and you'd be shocked at the sophisticated system the thieves have set up to rob you. They're up there early in the morning and rob photographers and their cars daily. We actually witnessed one gang of them popping windows in cars and clearing them out a couple years ago. They can break into a line of 20 cars in under a minute and be back on the freeway 10 minutes later. They do the same thing at Land's End, Twin Peaks and anywhere you might think of taking one of those sweeping view photos. This is a business and you will lose.

On the other hand, if you stick to places where you see plenty of tourists, you'll be fine.

It's a beautiful city, just a little out of hand right now.

For your reading pleasure...
https://petapixel.com/2021/05/24/i-was-robbed-in-san-francisco-while-the-cameras-rolled/

I have to agree with Bob, unfortunately. The camera gangs mostly went after news crews and pros until security guards were hired to protect the pros. Now, they will go after anyone with an expensive camera. The new DA won't act on this kind of crime and, the cops aren't interested if nothing will happen after an arrest.

Like I said earlier, the City's been defaced. Almost all my long time friends have moved out, after living there for 40+ years.

https://sfist.com/2021/02/01/pi-to-the-stars-jack-palladino-suffers-life-threatening-attack-outside/

https://sfist.com/2021/03/04/kpix-reporter-and-cameraman-robbed-at-gunpoint-on-twin-peaks/

https://www.ktvu.com/news/real-esta...mera-equipment-while-driving-in-san-francisco

https://www.ktvu.com/news/san-francisco-police-arrest-pair-linked-to-weekend-robbery-of-tv-news-crew

If true, then all the more reason to go to New York City.

I'd have to agree with Helen on NYC.
Crime has spiked as the cops have been told by the mayor to stand down so criminals have taken liberties with the new impunity. Manhattan, from Midtown to the Battery is still in a holding pattern. People have only gradually returned to work but most have not (many left the City altogether). Theatres are shuttered, museums remain partially open if at all. Many restaurants are gone for good and the others have dramatically raised their prices by necessity. SoHo, where I work, was laid waste by the Woke Mobs last summer and hasn't recovered. Lots of repulsive graffiti defacing everything along with empty store fronts. The upper West & East sides are primarily residential and have seen a resurgence of a modest night life.

My friend in SF, a long-time resident, advised me not to visit unless I didn't mind dodging human excrement and wild-eyed homeless.

Chicago is as dirty as New York was 1969.
Drugs, gangs etc. I will not go there anymore. Gang initiation is you need to kill someone, anyone. That and drugs are why shootings have gone way up. A six year boy was shot on the expressway last week. Just a pellet gun but only sister is left.

Art institute and museums along the lake are with seeing. Park, pay, walk in.

Also make sure to visit Muir Woods National Park in Sausalito, your girls would love that. I took my kids there when they were very young, and to this day the cherish the memory of the morning walk we took through the redwood forest as one the highlight of the trip. Have fun, and enjoy the food: The best in the USA!
Giorgio

Hey Raid,

I'll agree wholeheartedly with Giorgio about visiting Muir Woods. I've lived in SF for 30+ years and make a point to go as often as possible. It's a true national treasure.

One thing to be aware of is that you have to book parking in advance or take a shuttle in. There are direct shuttle buses that board in Marin City. You'd do well to book one of those in advance too. Parking reservations can be made on the national park service's website. The shuttles are privately operated.

Hey Raid,

I'll agree wholeheartedly with Giorgio about visiting Muir Woods. I've lived in SF for 30+ years and make a point to go as often as possible. It's a true national treasure.

One thing to be aware of is that you have to book parking in advance or take a shuttle in. There are direct shuttle buses that board in Marin City. You'd do well to book one of those in advance too. Parking reservations can be made on the national park service's website. The shuttles are privately operated.

Thanks for the tip to book a shuttle ride. Several posts here cautioned of the parking at Muir Woods.

It seems that crimes are up wherever you go (if it is a major city).
Not traveling at all is also a problem.
Maybe there is a reasonable balance between safety concerns and some tourism that can still be enjoyed.

Hey Raid,

Muir Woods is pretty amazing, but definitely get a shuttle or parking reservation or you won't get in. There is nowhere to park within walking distance of the entrance unless you have a reservation. I have not heard of robberies happening in that area, but I would not leave anything in the car anyway. If you have a car take a side trip to Muir Beach, it's a pretty nice, but cold, beach. If you want to visit a warm beach, head up the coast for another 15 minutes to Stinson Beach. If the weather is nice, you really need to be there before about 9am on weekends to get parking. Stinson can easily eat up a whole day, it's a beautiful beach. I would avoid Bolinas. Too much animosity from locals toward tourists, and it's just not that interesting a place.

It seems that crimes are up wherever you go (if it is a major city).
Not traveling at all is also a problem.
Maybe there is a reasonable balance between safety concerns and some tourism that can still be enjoyed.

Raid, like many others, i've travelled all over the world with a camera, including places like Mexico, Nepal and India. Usually with a Leica (often the only one i owned). To ask a question from a slightly different perspective.... if you're comfortable travelling to these places with your wife & children, why would taking a 'good camera' be a concern?

i don't want to attract any extra attention to us by carrying an expensive looking camera.

Does an M10 with your 35mm LLL replica look expensive? I dunno. It probably looks like some old-fashioned film camera to most thieves.

Agreed. Only RFF geeks know the difference between a black M10 and a Canonet QL tucked under your jacket at from 30' away.
Now two Canon 6D one with a 16-35 and the other with a 70-200 and a big Billingham camera bag that's another story.....

I was sharing with my wife some of the posted comments in this thread (on crimes in SF). She googled "crimes in Pensacola". Google states that Pensacola was in the "Top 1%". Then things got clarified more; only 1% of US cities have a higher violent crimes rate than what we have here. Oh well.

Raid, it's a rather sad state of affairs isn't it, if you're concerned about carrying one of the cameras you enjoy as your hobby... in your own country? Didn't you travel with two Ms in Italy? All big cities have a certain amount of risk. You are probably more exposed to the risk of being hit by a car crossing a busy street. I understand that Leicas don't take very good photos locked up in a cupboard..... I hope you don't feel like we're beating up on you too much though.

Agreed. Only RFF geeks know the difference between a black M10 and a Canonet QL tucked under your jacket at from 30' away.
Now two Canon 6D one with a 16-35 and the other with a 70-200 and a big Billingham camera bag that's another story.....

I have to disagree with this. I took my daughter to lunch in The Castro a couple weeks ago and had my M10 on my shoulder. We were followed up and down the street by a guy that was clearly casing us. I made eye contact with him a few times and he couldn't stop looking at the camera. It was uncomfortable enough that we left without eating. They may not know the difference between an M10 and an M10-R, but they know a Leica is much more valuable than an old Yashica.

And to answer the inevitable 'Where do they sell them?' question; they go overseas. I went to high school with a guy who used to do this with cars. He would steal cars in Los Angeles and fill the empty space on container ships heading to Southeast Asia. The ships are rarely inspected, so you can put pretty much whatever you want on them.

Stealing big ticket items is big business these days. If you think the thieves are dummies, think again.

I have to disagree with this. I took my daughter to lunch in The Castro a couple weeks ago and had my M10 on my shoulder. We were followed up and down the street by a guy that was clearly casing us. I made eye contact with him a few times and he couldn't stop looking at the camera. It was uncomfortable enough that we left without eating. They may not know the difference between an M10 and an M10-R, but they know a Leica is much more valuable than an old Yashica.

And to answer the inevitable 'Where do they sell them?' question; they go overseas. I went to high school with a guy who used to do this with cars. He would steal cars in Los Angeles and fill the empty space on container ships heading to Southeast Asia. The ships are rarely inspected, so you can put pretty much whatever you want on them.

Stealing big ticket items is big business these days. If you think the thieves are dummies, think again.

Bob, I did say "under your jacket." If one is so concerned, why own a (or many) fine cameras? If you're concerned, then why not buy insurance? If you're worried about theft doesn't sporting an M-10 or a gold Rolex become target?

Your home insurance most likely also covers a car break-in and theft of items from the car.

Back