Voigtländer Ultron 21mm f/1.8

The people who will get excited about this will be the RD-1 and M8 owners ... finally a fast wide that even with the crop factor of the two mentioned cameras offers new life to these digital antiques! :D

Digital antiques? Excuse me while I put my fingers over my RD1s' ears!

Actually, this 21/1.8 is the best news coming out of Photokina for me thus far. And I dont want it for digital. I want it for film.
But we will see how it measures up to the Zeiss 21/2.8 and the Leica 21/3.4. All in the same price range.

Taking Deposits for Voigtlander 21/1.8

Taking Deposits for Voigtlander 21/1.8

Initial demand will likely be far beyond production with a back order for months, like the 25/.95.

US price not yet set. Estimated shipping in January or February.

I am taking $100 refundable deposits for Voigtlander 21/1.8 to [email protected]

Free Post Office USPS Express Mail shipping.

Thanks,
Stephen

Spend a day on the Photokina yesterday.

In contradiction to those big players was the small booth of Voigtländer but to my surprise they showed the new (to me) 21mm 1.8 Ultron in M mount. Very well made lens. Could be a good alternative for a fast 21
It is rather big and it has an integrated hood. In line with their non consistant hood politics. At least you don't have to pay extra for a seperate hood.
I screwed it on my RIcoh GXR and took a few shots.
The affiche shot is not sharp and was my hectic attempt to check the distortion.

Michiel

nieuwelens1.jpg

nieuwelens2.jpg

nieuwelens3.jpg

Very interesting. Any pixs of it on a camera?, would like to get the idea how big it is.

Sorry, but I had only one camera with me. It is just a tad bigger as the 35/1,2. Also becauase of the integrated hood. I didn't find it to big on the Ricoh but I have no idea if it will block the rangefinder a lot or not at all.

Michiel

21 is a nice focal that attracts me a lot. I have tested many 21 that disappointed me. The 21/4 was nice but I had to keep it in the bag at the day.

So when I heard about this one, I was more than happy to have a ticket to photokina. Arriving at the stand, they let me try this little beauty.

First impression is a nice feel in the hand, comparable to the Nokton 50 1.1 but less bulky. It is rangefinder-coupled (it seems obvious but worth the precision)

About the images, I didn't noticed distorsion. Nice bokeh..

I will upload pics ASAP. Unfortunately, it is only crappy pictures from the booth so it won't give it justice. I must admit that I was tempted to flee with it to test it in Cologne streets :D
Many thanks again to Voigtlander for making that lens ! It opens perspectives..

Well I am back after a long delay in Tokyo (5 hours) and 9 hour flight. Indeed, I got a 21f1.8 - currently on my R4M. Haven't seen any results yet - just back an hour ago.
It looks bigger than it feels. Fits well in the hand. The hood adds "volume" to the look though. Light (this is a 21f1.8 after all) and very smooth with the 0.5 m close focus. I have a couple of rolls of Ektar 100 shot in Japan and some black and white to soup - probably tomorrow. Jet lag and film processing is mutually exclusive.
On the R4M it does block a bit of the finder in the lower right hand corner - but not too badly. I am using one of the VC 21/25 finder on top for "fine tuning" edges - but it works without that too.
It does complete a rather formidable VC line-up, 21f1.8, 28f2, 35f1,2, 50f1.1 and the 75 f1.8 - fall and winter is coming and light is getting scarce! According to Cosina, performance is said to be "very good" - and they have taken care to make the bokeh (the fuzzy stuff) particularly good at f1.8-f2.0.
I did shoot a lot at f1.8 (spent almost 8 hours at Narita - which gave me a chance to use it at wide-open). Also some color in Kanesawa (great garden and park - and a spectacular Modern Art Museum).

8035940340_38e685f2ae_c.jpg

The big market in Kanazawa, Japan. This is our lunch place. Close focus (around 0.6 m) - focus on the nearest beer bottle. f1.8.

Any pictures to show the physical size of the lens on the body? Thanks for the pics Tom!

Will put some up later. They are in bl/w and I have not yet processed those films. It is not a small lens - it is after all a 21 f1.8!!! However, it is surprisingly comfortable to handhold as the barrel is straight - not tapered. The aperure ring is up front and it has taken me a couple of rolls to get used to its location. With the R4M it does block the lower right hand corner a bit - but you get used to it and a quick "sweep" right gets the coverage - or simply use a 21 finder on top.

Alf, even with the slight blur - it looks good. You would gain 2 stops with the Ultron and that probably would sharpen up the Aurora a bit - though I like the smooth blur in your shot. The Aurora tends to "flutter" across the sky anyway.

8037886279_bb60464c19_c.jpg

The Ultron 21mm f1.8 on my Bessa R4M. I use the top-mounted finder for convenience - but even with the slight "blocking" of the lower 1/5th of the 21 finder in the R4 - works well without it.

8038122433_4331b0707d_c.jpg

The Ultron 21 f1.8 at f1.8 and closest focussing distance (0.5 m). The rangefinder cuts out at 0.7 - but my strap has a piece of tape at 0.5 m as a guide.
Narita Airport in Japan - the Terminal 1, decorated with Hokusai prints and banners.
Arista 400 Premium in Rodinal 1:60 for 11 min.

Back