Voigtlander 25mm f4 Color Skopar M

kennethcooke

Established
Local time
6:24 PM
It was recently recommended by my friend at Classic Camera in London to try out the above lens and, bravely or foolishly, I used it for the first time to record a friend's wedding in B&W film. The digital guy who also covered his wedding was a Vogue Photographer, no pressure there then. It turns out his new wife works for Vogue so she had access to a tame photographer.

Anyway, to the lens. Andy said it was good and certainly I was very impressed as indeed was my friend. OK it's not a Leica lens but by the same token it is not the same GBP as a Leica lens. For what I paid, which included a 25mm CV viewfinder as my camera does not have 25mm frame lines, it was really very impressive and as it does not break the bank I would strongly recommend it to the group if they have a need for that focal length. I cannot tell you how it performs with colour as I have not used any since the demise of Kodachrome

In addition to the image quality it renders, I love how compact it is. The thread mount version on leica thread mounts make such a great film setup.

Let me add my agreement to this... the CV25/4 is a terrific lens that needs no
apologies. There is nothing else on the market that can produce any better images
in its category... and isn't that what this is all about?

And yes, I've used mine on Barnacks, Canons, Bessas and my CL.

I love this lens (LTM) and feel the click stop focus is a wonderful thing as i can use it on
my standard (no rangefinder)
6107478727_0bac8fe7c6.jpg

maybe not the greatest example but something I printed recently

6108085546_efccb1a872.jpg

self portrait with my daughter, holding the camera at arms length

also check out my avatar

Last edited:
I made the mistake of selling mine because I did not seem to be using it much and wanted to fund a different lens I thought I needed more. I quickly realized that I had to purchase another one.

Great Lens, especially so compact. Putting it on an M5 is like wearing no lens at all. I have had some flare, even with the hood. I don't use a filter. The ZM is better, but more than twice the price and quite big.

This is my all time favorite CV lens.
With the EP-2, it is a 50mm/4 with additional depth of field, and on film cameras, it is a wonderful wide angle lens with hardly any distortion. It is very well built, and it is compact. I have the LTM version, so it also fits cameras with LTM.

Quality is outstanding (if you get a decent one), it's tiny and affordable. IMHO it's technically a step ahead of the 21.

Great street lens for getting in close and zone/hyperfocal focusing.

+1. Aces on a small body (CLE, Bessa L or T) for street. LTM version beats M version because of click stops.

In my experience the 21-P is similar but not as good in the corners when comparing good samples of both, but it is still very good. Outwardly the two are identical.

25/4 is a good wide angle portrait lens too. Is there any significant difference in the LTM & the M mount? Mine is the LTM.

Last edited:
Sean Reid finds the CV 25/4 SC right up there with the Leica 24/3.8 and ZM 25/2.8, excellent company for a lens costing a fraction of what one pays for Leica/Zeiss.

5432974026_eb7c4eb7c6_b.jpg

Lenin's head - sculpture in Richmond BC. Not shown is Mrs Mao balancing on his head!
VC 25f4 in M-mount. Leica M2, TriX in D76 1:1 10 min. Part of my Flickr "Back to Basics" - shooting with TriX and souping in D76 1:1/10 min.

Let me add my agreement to this... the CV25/4 is a terrific lens that needs no apologies. There is nothing else on the market that can produce any better images in it's category... and isn't that what this is all about?

I think Zeiss 25mm ZM users would have an argument here... :D

Hi
I recently purchased a used 25mm skopar f2 for my m6. Shot a roll and quite pleased with it. I am thinking of getting an adapter for my lumix g1 4/3....any experience with this lens on a lumix g1. Thx..also I think I have an older version as mine is a "lens made in Japan" and I have seen a new in box version in a local shop marked cosina on the lens. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the qaulity of glass or build....thx

I've got the non rangefinder coupled version used on a Leica M. I've only used it once despite thinking it's a brilliant lens. I must get out with it more. I've posted these before:
Pete

5985518616_a0228a00ff_z.jpg

5984956127_b10f70616d_z.jpg

5984955561_e6aee0af73_z.jpg

Back