Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Aspherical Photos

Much nicer colors in the second examples, Raid; very nice, actually. But, as previously observed, the B&W is phenomenal.

There might be hope for this lens after all. ... :cool:

This is a top notch lens, Bill. The truth will come out eventually for all to see how good this lens really is.

I'm not going to go overboard with testing since 1) I don't have the patience for it, 2) I don't know where my tripod is, 3) it is super cold outside, and 4) I only have a Monochrom digital M, so the results might not be that interesting to people.

That being said, I made a few comparison shots and put them on flickr (link below). I'll add more there if I make any. Shot with the VM APO-Lanthar, Zeiss C-Sonnar, and Leica 50/1.4 ASPH at a few different apertures.

So far I am seeing that the APO-Lanthar vignettes a fair amount for a non-compact f/2 lens, can have slightly busier bokeh (compared to the Summilux ASPH), and has a larger apparent DOF at the same aperture as the other two lenses. I was able to get a small image forming flare with it at f/2 - same with the C-Sonnar while the Leica avoided it.

Using numbers I found on the net (Lens Rentals), the Leica is 51.4mm and the C-Sonnar is 50.3mm, which puts the APO-Lanthar at 48.5(ish)mm. It is noticeably wider than the other two when comparing shots from the same vantage point.

Oh, and it is SUPER SHARP. At f/2, it is incredibly contrasty and high resolution across the frame. So much so that it got me thinking something is wrong with my ASPH (only kind of joking here).

flickr album

Wow thanks so much for the comparison Tim. These were illuminating. I agree with your findings completely from what I’m seeing. Thanks for posting!

Raid, I agree with others who commented the second photo in your series are much better and have a good contrast and colours palette.

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with this lens. Of course not only you!

So far I am seeing that the APO-Lanthar vignettes a fair amount for a non-compact f/2 lens,

Oh, and it is SUPER SHARP. At f/2, it is incredibly contrasty and high resolution across the frame. So much so that it got me thinking something is wrong with my ASPH (only kind of joking here).

flickr album

With the lens set to infinity, on the M Monochrom, using the "light box" made back in December-

Plenty sharp for the M Monochrom.

With Medium Yellow filter, at F4:

And F2,

Looking at the far corners of the last image- you can see the vignetting.

The Back Yard.

At F2,

LR6 exports to JPEG, sharpening turned off, lens detection off. I usually turn sharpening off for M Monochrom pictures.

I use an M9M with the 50 APO. Can't speak for color images.

I bought this lens primarily for the M Monochrom (v1) as well. An APO lens is most important for B&W film and monochrome sensors.

We are convinced by the B&W images. No debates. Color remains an open question

Color rendition is also driven by the color filter array or particular color film used. It is easiest to change the color balance in post-processing. The rendition of the lens is easily changed by using a Skylight filter, or other warming filter. This lens- probably a Skylight 1A is best if shooting slide film. But I quit shooting slide film when Kodachrome was retired. For the M9- I'm satisfied with the color rendition. I've seen some images on the Leica Users Forum with the M10 that were awful.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topi...m-lens-to-be-announced-soon/page/10/#comments

I could not duplicate the result with the M9. All the LUF thread did was convince me to keep the M9.

I have the APO-Lanthar on the M Monochrom and the Nokton 50/1.5 v2 on the M9. This was the plan (rationalization?) for ordering both lenses.

And speaking of rationalizations...

NOW all of you people (Raid) that bought this lens need to buy a Monochrome camera. Your choice. I'm not going to argue CCD vs CMOS. Just choose one.

Back