Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Aspherical Photos

Are you collectively concluding that the APO lens is mainly meant to produce optimal results with B&W only? Is this view being supported elsewhere? How does the $8750 Leica APO lens do in compare with color images?

I bought this lens primarily for the M Monochrom (v1) as well. An APO lens is most important for B&W film and monochrome sensors.

Color rendition is also driven by the color filter array or particular color film used. It is easiest to change the color balance in post-processing. The rendition of the lens is easily changed by using a Skylight filter, or other warming filter. This lens- probably a Skylight 1A is best if shooting slide film. But I quit shooting slide film when Kodachrome was retired. For the M9- I'm satisfied with the color rendition. I've seen some images on the Leica Users Forum with the M10 that were awful.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topi...m-lens-to-be-announced-soon/page/10/#comments

I could not duplicate the result with the M9. All the LUF thread did was convince me to keep the M9.

I have the APO-Lanthar on the M Monochrom and the Nokton 50/1.5 v2 on the M9. This was the plan (rationalization?) for ordering both lenses.

And speaking of rationalizations...

NOW all of you people (Raid) that bought this lens need to buy a Monochrome camera. Your choice. I'm not going to argue CCD vs CMOS. Just choose one.

Fully agree with you regarding the color of M9. I am also going to get this lens for my M Monochrom.

Are you collectively concluding that the APO lens is mainly meant to produce optimal results with B&W only? Is this view being supported elsewhere? How does the $8750 Leica APO lens do in compare with color images?

Remembering my Physics Teacher "It is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers"...

It's probably not meant that way- it is a by-product of the design.

I like the results with the M9. When the weather cooperates, I'll take the APO-Lanthar and Nokton v2 out with both cameras. I just shoveled the driveway again.

Splendid with colors.
Also, its ability to render fore and background OOF with markedly decreased contrast further isolates the subject, that at the plane of focus is rendered at the very highest micro-contrast and resolution, even @ f/2. The bokeh is very neutral insofar as neither adding nor distracting from the subject. Used in the proper setting, it looks like a 'slice of life', frozen forever.

BTW, it's $8750 if you're crazy enough to buy it new, and at MSRP. The non-Leica Store retailers (but not B&H) have more leeway if you ask politely.

I'm not, though I will be using mine in B&W mostly because that's my only digital M :)

I acknowledge the impact of different sensor design, bayer array filter choices, etc., but lighting and post processing both play a HUGE role in color in images posted online. Ignoring the nice compositions, Ccoppola82's pictures of the dog and kid are great examples - wonderful lighting, particularly on the kid.

To my eye, the color photos have been perfectly fine, especially considering the time of year in the US (winter), the weather (snowy), etc. I saw nothing in your photos or Brian's that made me think of anything other than 'winter light'. Kind of cold, kind of drab, but hey, all the plants are dead and everything does look blue and brown when I look outside :) Actually, here it's all just white right now.

Remembering my Physics Teacher "It is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers"...

It's probably not meant that way- it is a by-product of the design.

I like the results with the M9. When the weather cooperates, I'll take the APO-Lanthar and Nokton v2 out with both cameras. I just shoveled the driveway again.

I will try using this lens with the M9.

Yes, this is/was the main reason. The images were taken about an hour before sunset, without a red or orange sunset in sight. Colors are dreary. I have a feeling that the CV APO lens is fine overall for colors.

Yes, this is/was the main reason. The images were taken about an hour before sunset, without a red or orange sunset in sight. Colors are dreary. I have a feeling that the CV APO lens is fine overall for colors.

It shows the colors for what they truly are at the moment, and at that moment they were dreary.

The lens is still new on the market, and we may have to wait until we see many color images that were made with it. In most cases the posted images have no information on PS done to each image. The good thing about living in Florida is that we have many days with sunshine.

The lens is still new on the market, and we may have to wait until we see many color images that were made with it. In most cases the posted images have no information on PS done to each image. The good thing about living in Florida is that we have many days with sunshine.

And probably only one person gives the FORTRAN source code used to process their images.

None of my images are run through Photoshop...

Amazing results on the M9M. These are straight OOC jpegs. The truck pics I believe were at f11, all the others were f5.6. No coding set for the lens.

The M Monochrom used the same S8612 cover glass as the M9.

Leica replaced my sensor under warranty. Best to check for a camera with the new Sensor in it.

APO-CV-50Test3-5-X2.jpg

APO-CV-50Test3-5%20copy-X2.jpg

The lens captures the light and colors as they are. Maybe not pretty now, but it looked like this.

Back