Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm f1.5

Now I think you may have a point here. The photo you’re referencing was shot at a wide aperture (although maybe not f1.5) in bright sun and the colors are definitely desaturated. This may in part be a designed-in feature of this lens when shot at wide apertures. It’s being marketed as a “soft focus” lens, after all, and with lens imperfections combined with modern coating. It could also be a result of the light and angle of the sun; other wide open photos I took that day don’t display the same washed-out colors. Robert Blu’s photo above, taken in what looks to be more controlled light, doesn’t display the same desaturation as the photo of mine you’ve referenced, but it does have a unique look to the colors. It’s a funky lens. I will need to live with mine a lot more to get a handle on how it performs at different aperatures.

For comparison purposes, here is an early bw photo I took with the Heliar Classic not long after getting the lens. It was taken at f1.5. When I look at how the lens rendered tones wide open, I wonder whether the results would be similar to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk photo had I taken the coffee shop photo in color.

i just want to say that i didnt want to say lens is bad or something like that. actually i like rendering but i was surprised with that photo because it was first time i saw artefacts like those from heliar. but i guess its because of shooting it wide open in bright day - probably most lens would behave same.

What appeals to me about the lens is that the image at full aperture resembles the image formed by the naked human eye. We are so used to super sharp images that can be seen in photos and movies that we don't realize how flawed the human eye is. What the eye does not register, is fantasized by the brain. It's funny to see these imperfect images now that nevertheless evoke a strong atmosphere, not unlike impressionist paintings.

Erik.

I took these today.

HeliarClassic-6--2-X3.jpg

HeliarClassic-6--X3.jpg

HeliarClassic-6--3-X3.jpg

"Raid, great image, I recognize in the photo the typical rendering of the Heliar 50mm f1.5.

Erik."

Thank you Erik. I will try to find some time for using this lens even though it has been raining nearly nonstop for the past ten days here.

I recall my visits with Ulm University, and the casual get-together meetings in the late afternoons or early evenings with faculty and graduate student in a "coffee and beer room" there. During asparagus harvest season the people would discuss buying so many Kilos of it for their home cooking.They had white asparagus, and I love the soup from it.

This weekend seems to be a no rain weekend, which encourages me to take some photos.

Raid, it seems you enjoy to use this lens!

And you get good results, with superb colours.

Thank you Robert. In order to get used to a specific lens, I often stay with that lens for several weeks. The colors look nice in general when using the M10 with the CV 50/1.5.

Thanks! I will try to do better with this lens with more practice using the lens wide open.

I know that some people here said that this is not a lens for them. I like it though. The OOF is very interesting with aperture 1.5. The colors with the M10 are beautiful.

Raid: it seems me the is lens is changing your photographic style! Your style is now more modern!
The lens makes you younger

I know that some people here said that this is not a lens for them. I like it though. The OOF is very interesting with aperture 1.5. The colors with the M10 are beautiful.

I love your B+W's too, Raid! For this kind of work it is a great lens: speed, nice out-of-focus rendering and centrally great sharpness and contrast at full aperture.

Erik.

Back