Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm f1.5

To Etik:

yum, really LOVE the photo above..,

can’t tell if your have changed your
’Style’ in developing or final tweaks
but your photos as of late
seem more moody, darker in tones & tres Atmospheric, Lovely too !

in the past, your large body of work leaned more towards
A prominent level of greys, long gradation of greys, lovely too !

or is it, the ‘new RFf’ just processing our files differently
always love your photos~

Thank you, Helen, I'm using another lens! Heliar 50mm f1.5, gives a totally different mood, but my workflow didn't change. I'm hoping to get some new pictures, but it is cold outside and the virus returns.

Etik.

gelatin silver print (heliar 50mm f1.5) leica mp

Erik.

51700539086_3b0558cfa8_b.jpg

Thank you, Helen, the Heliar is much faster, sharper and contrastier than a Summar.

Oldwino, no, I use Tmax400 and no filter; my MP has a good 1/1000! Yes, wide open, that is fun.

gelatin silver print (heliar 50mm f1.5) leica mp

Erik.

51692575847_ff0e128e6f_b.jpg

yes Erik, silly you
i know the difference new lens f1.5 and summar f2
just meant the dreaminess, oof in that photo reminded me of a similar quality in the summar

I love the look of this lens, though the pincushion distortion is a slight bummer. I would buy it if Voigtlander made one for Nikon S-mount…shame that will likely never happen again :(

I love the look of this lens, though the pincushion distortion is a slight bummer. I would buy it if Voigtlander made one for Nikon S-mount…shame that will likely never happen again :(

On the Nikon S you can use prewar Contax lenses, big fun!

The pincushion distortion is only visible when the lens is focused on a close subject. On infinity it is gone. It is more or less opticalsystemrelated. I don't see any distortion in this picture:

gelatin silver print (heliar classic 50mm f1.5) leica mp

Erik.

51643425585_025920214d_b.jpg

I received mine yesterday. I bought it for film, but had to check it out on my Leica CL. These are at close to minimum focus at f1.5.

51694372939_7d58567aee_c.jpg

51693684171_4e4ca6079a_c.jpg

Plenty of positive comments about this lens. I’m curious about the effect of a lens shade on the image produced. Do you people use a shade? Yes…..No……Sometimes (explain)….
Thanks!

It comes with a shade. I just got this lens, but I generally try to use shades if the sun/breaking sun might be a factor. The shades for some 35mm lenses are so small I never take them off (color-skopar 28 3.5), and I always use one with a TLR, for some reason. On the other hand, I like to photograph on cloudy/moody days when a shade isn’t critical.

Plenty of positive comments about this lens. I’m curious about the effect of a lens shade on the image produced. Do you people use a shade? Yes…..No……Sometimes (explain)….
Thanks!

Hallo Hans! I always use a shade, but not the one that came with the lens. I don't think it vignettes, it keeps dirty fingers from the lens.

Until now I've used the lens only wide open, at f/1.5. The pictures have a look being taken in WW1, but I like that.

Erik.

Back