Voigtlander Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical Images

I should just note there's copy variation with v2 also. I bought one brand new recently, then had the opportunity to compare it side by side with the dealer's other copy.

We checked both out pretty thoroughly and found that on the first copy (silver), the corners degraded surprisingly differently than on the second copy (black) at wide apertures - the test subject was a sign across the street and with the first lens the text on the sign would split in two like a sort of ghosting, whereas with the second, the text remained sharp but lost contrast and gained some color fringing, more or less as expected.

I don't know enough optics to try to guess what it means in terms of manufacturing inconsistency or whatever, but since the first lens also had a stiff spot when turning the focus ring, the dealer let me exchange it for the second lens we tried, which has been great.

I should also note that whatever deficiency it had was noticeable wide open but would be pretty insignificant past f/4, especially on film.

Ultron v2

Tri-x
53022961280_498127f0cc_b.jpg

Kodak Gold 200 expired
52970230392_05fdd71d80_b.jpg

Back