W/NW Boats and Ships

Now here are some ship views that not too many people see too often (and that includes me - sadly I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again). All from a trip on the Brigantine Eye of the Wind in the South Pacific circa 1990. I thought that given the ship and boat theme of this thread others might enjoy seeing this series of images.

Brigantine Eye of the Wind, at anchor Ngella Island Solomon Islands.

LHhGKpR.jpg

Eye of the Wind, under sail, me at the helm somewhere in the Solomon Islands(who cares about skin cancer when you are 20 something?)

uwHmFCD.jpg

Under sail, Eye of the Wind, Crew member on watch

fqMhqEc.jpg

Diving the sunken Japanese freighter Toa Maru, Gizo, Solomon Islands

SM4ITQf.jpg

Bomb damaged engine room Toa Maru

rxNGRKk.jpg

Dusk, Eye of the Wind at anchor, anchor light burning.

E2ZUN3l.jpg

Image from the bow sprit, Eye of the Wind

GOO5wz5.jpg

Now here are some ship views that not too many people see too often (and that includes me - sadly I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again). All from a trip on the Brigantine Eye of the Wind in the South Pacific circa 1990. I thought that given the ship and boat theme of this thread others might enjoy seeing this series of images.

Brigantine Eye of the Wind, at anchor Ngella Island Solomon Islands.

LHhGKpR.jpg

Eye of the Wind, under sail, me at the helm somewhere in the Solomon Islands(who cares about skin cancer when you are 20 something?)

uwHmFCD.jpg

Under sail, Eye of the Wind, Crew member on watch

fqMhqEc.jpg

Diving the sunken Japanese freighter Toa Maru, Gizo, Solomon Islands

SM4ITQf.jpg

Bomb damaged engine room Toa Maru

rxNGRKk.jpg

Dusk, Eye of the Wind at anchor, anchor light burning.

E2ZUN3l.jpg

Image from the bow sprit, Eye of the Wind

GOO5wz5.jpg
Love these... thanks for sharing Peter!

Now here are some ship views that not too many people see too often (and that includes me - sadly I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again). All from a trip on the Brigantine Eye of the Wind in the South Pacific circa 1990. ......

What a great series of photos that mean something to the photographer. You so vicariously took us back in time to an event that was important to you. So much more enjoyable to me than just some "pretty pictures of boats".

What a great series of photos that mean something to the photographer. You so vicariously took us back in time to an event that was important to you. So much more enjoyable to me than just some "pretty pictures of boats".

1+ “Dusk” evokes the magic of the South Seas... even though I’ve never been there....

1+ “Dusk” evokes the magic of the South Seas... even though I’ve never been there....

Thank you both hendriphile and Bob Michaels.

Yes there is something about dusk in the tropics, hendriphile, it is special. more special than anywhere else in the world.

Imagine this for the moment and put yourself there (more particularly imagine yourself to be on this ship or one like it). The sun lowers and the heat of the day subsides together with the excitement of sailing and diving in one of the most beautiful places on earth. The day begins to feel cooler, but still not yet cool. In fact most of the night will remain warm and many of us will ultimately choose to sleep on the deck under a single sheet rather than retiring to our more stuffy tiny cabins which are otherwise quite comfortable. There is a kind of softness in the air that I suppose comes from the humidity which is still present but which is now more benign than it was in the peak of the day when the sun was high and its heat dominated and the humidity was just plain enervating. A warm and gentle breeze wafts a sweet smell of frangipani from the nearby island together with the sound of singing from a village on the shore. The sun settles further and, after a shower to wash away the salt water from diving and swimming, we indulge in a pre-dinner G and T (gin and tonic) on the poop-deck. The drink kicks in and we all feel mellow as the smell of still cooking, freshly caught reef fish gently enfolds us, as it wafts from the galley. We talk excitedly about what we each experienced during the day and as we talk, bonds of friendship blossom. We are a small community after all, and this ship is our entire world for the next several weeks. All is good, and a second G and T is beckoning. A new day tomorrow offers new locations and new experiences. Life is good. Or as we were wont to say in a kind of self satisfied and yet self deprecating, goofy and funny way, with a dumb, G and T induced grin on our faces: "Ahhhh, another sh#tty day in paradise". Then we all laugh. The fact that we have heard it a dozen times before somehow makes it all the more funny.

That is life as I remember it on this ship.

PS the above memories were helped along by another G and T (a habit I have never quite broken) , which I am just now enjoying. :)

Leica M2 Elmar 9/4.0 Plus X in Promicrol
Taken from my bike in "Look Ma no Hands" style- handling camera, surrounded by other cyclists. This Nereus team won the Head of the River 1963 race, Amsterdam.
Amsterdam%252C%2BHead%2Bof%2Bthe%2BRiver%2Brace%252C%2B1963.jpg

Back