W/NW Boats and Ships

An old Ektachrome slide from about 1997-98. Think it ran in Chesapeake Bay Magazine for some story or other on junior sailing.

Eastport Sailing by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Another from around that time, also Ektachrome 100.

Hoopers Island by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Also around the same time, I think this was for a story on the boatyards in Eastport (Annapolis), Maryland for Chesapeake Bay Magazine.

Eastport Sailing2 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
The old Eastport boatyards are condos and tourist restaurants now.

The old Eastport boatyards are condos and tourist restaurants now.
Jabin’s, Eastport Yacht Center and Port Annapolis are still around, plus South Annapolis Yacht Centre (formerly Sarles) on Spa Creek. Not as many as back in the late 90’s, but a few still chugging along.

Kept a boat with Bert Jabin a long time ago. Glad to hear the yard is still going. Our old sailor/biker 😎 dive bar there turned into a Ruth’s Chris. Long live the Republic.

As a child I summered in Maine, on Washington Pond, and saw many mornings like those, in an Old Town wood and canvas that looked a lot like that in the photos. A canoe paddled rightly can be as silent as a whisper and can sneak up on loons at night. They can be called in close, too. To the uninitiated the amount that can be carried in a canoe is amazing. And go back to the French-Canadian Voyageurs who paddled the Great Lakes with 500 to 800 pounds of beaver pelts in their birch bark canoes on the way to Montreal And sang while they did it.

A quiet morning paddle on a pond is more my speed. ;o) With that same "correct" paddle.

Thanks, We had to sell the place several years ago, after 35 years spending summers and some wintertime there, since the only way to get to the camp was by boat, and it got to be too much. We miss it still, or more correctly we miss being 35 there. I was out most mornings. The small canoe is a single pack canoe. We also have a 1914 Kennebec that I recovered and refinished. I am pleased that you understand how special this sort of thing is.IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0812.jpgIMG_0815.jpg

The old Old Towns were masterpieces. I see they no longer make the wood and canvas canoes. They were heavy but could glide like a leaf. If you were away on the rapids for a few days you had canvas and Ambroid to make quick field repairs. I see you have both length paddles, nose high for the stern paddle. I forget the height for the bow paddle. And those are the right paddles. The new ones may be more efficient but they do not have the grace and beauty of the ones we know. I took it all for granted at the time. Looking back now on those magnificent Old Towns I see them differently. Yours are just lovely. And if I knew your address and had a station wagon, . . . LOL

Dawn fishing from a canoe is just great with the mist coming up off the water, the water stalking birds marching about for their morning fish and the ripples of the pickerel in the pickerel grass. Your photos have brought it all back. As with so many things in my life I took it all as matter of fact at the time. Now it is magic and regal. Yes, early morning in that Old Town, paddling that silent "J" stroke and whisping along drawing an inch or so and not a threat to any of the shore life, just another morning denizen. Thanks so much for those photos. Those were lovely moments.

Back