Sniffing the wort:
rff-1.jpg

Tasting the wort:
rff-2.jpg

Chilling the wort:
rff-3.jpg

Kiev-4, Delta 100, HC-110

Last edited:
I had several lens comparison projects for 50mm lenses in past years, and they included the J-3. In one of these projects I had three J-3 included. They did well.

I have a J-3 from 1951 and one from 1972. Both are in Contax mount, so I use an Amedeo adapter with them.

Just bought some color and Uv screw-in filters from a seller in Russia which fits nicely my J3's. Here are the filters shown with my oldest - 1956 and newest J3 - 1987:

IMG_5729.JPG

a good set of filters! black j-3, as it had with the sharpness? have samples shot on black j-3?

Just did some quick 'test' shots so you get some idea of this black J3. I think yours - and the other old ones - are as sharp as this one, however the black J3 is multicoated and has a different i.e. amber color coating. So it might get a little better results in case of back lighting (not tested yet however)

Apart from the last one, all shots @ F 1.5 - lens is sharp in center and less at other places...at larger F-stops contrast is also little better

DSCF0774.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg

DSCF0776.jpg

DSCF0777.jpg

DSCF0778.jpg

@ F22
DSCF0782.jpg

Just did some quick 'test' shots so you get some idea of this black J3. I think yours - and the other old ones - are as sharp as this one, however the black J3 is multicoated and has a different i.e. amber color coating. So it might get a little better results in case of back lighting (not tested yet however)

not a bad result, but I can say with confidence my friend - on earlier versions of the lens sharpness win. Thanks for the test! good shots!

not a bad result, but I can say with confidence my friend - on earlier versions of the lens sharpness win. Thanks for the test! good shots!

Well I had seven of these early lenses and it is with the right test and with a good camera hard to say which one is sharper. They all have the same glass only the barrel somewhat changed after 1957 (and only some of 1947/48 have German glass). Guess it depends on the circumstances how you test the lens. Did you ever make a good comparison? One with different light:

8927906958_08c036d36c_h.jpg

Well I had seven of these early lenses and it is with the right test and with a good camera hard to say which one is sharper. They all have the same glass only the barrel somewhat changed after 1957 (and only some of 1947/48 have German glass). Guess it depends on the circumstances how you test the lens. Did you ever make a good comparison? One with different light @ f 1.5:

i only have one j-3 (1950). samples here www.flickr.com/alei1180

Here are a few from my friends' wedding a couple of weeks ago. Shot with a Kiev 4 on FP4+, developed in Rodinal 1:50.

The whole set may be viewed here. (More to be added whenever I get around to developing it.)

zack-jill-2.jpg

zack-jill-5.jpg

zack-jill-7.jpg

zack-jill-25.jpg

zack-jill-29.jpg

Working with J-3 copy I received with great help from Russian RF member maxx2.
Testing different shims. With one of them.

Green deep filter, Kentmere 100. On M4-2, 1/1000, aperture between 1.5-2. HC-110 B.

M4_2_CVCS35_Kent100_HC110_31_7min_5min_FXR_2014_June331.JPG

M4_2_CVCS35_Kent100_HC110_31_7min_5min_FXR_2014_June332.JPG

M4_2_CVCS35_Kent100_HC110_31_7min_5min_FXR_2014_June330.JPG

When I got my J-3 it was front focusing bad. Took it apart & it had a thick shim. maybe 3mm? Made a new shim of 1mm & set the rear element closer to the film plane & wa-la. It work's beautifully on my Bessa R. Brian Sweeney helped me tremendously. Your photo's look good, especially the first 2 shots.

Green deep filter, Kentmere 100. On M4-2, 1/1000, aperture between 1.5-2. HC-110 B.

Wow! That lens is superb... one to definitely keep!

Back