W/NW: Tools

Living on the west coast makes for fewer "finds" of old tools. Friends in the east are always finding perfectly nice old tools at yard sales, etc. Here in western Oregon, I have yet to see an infill plane outside of a few collectors (who purchased them elsewhere). Still, Portland and Seattle have had good histories of tool use, and there's stuff around. My long line Swedish ancestors (all of them Slade schooled) bought quality when they could (and that was not often enough) and brought those tools over to the U.S., then along the way from East to West coast. So....I also have Bedrock 605 and 1/2, and some early Bedrock (round side) 604 and 605. Greatest compliment came from my grandmother when I showed her my first piece of furniture for my house. "Just like my grandfather would have done it" I've seen his work. Own it too.

A few of the planes,
40416106.ec920076.640.jpg

Living on the west coast makes for fewer "finds" of old tools. Friends in the east are always finding perfectly nice old tools at yard sales, etc. Here in western Oregon, I have yet to see an infill plane outside of a few collectors (who purchased them elsewhere). Still, Portland and Seattle have had good histories of tool use, and there's stuff around. My long line Swedish ancestors (all of them Slade schooled) bought quality when they could (and that was not often enough) and brought those tools over to the U.S., then along the way from East to West coast. So....I also have Bedrock 605 and 1/2, and some early Bedrock (round side) 604 and 605. Greatest compliment came from my grandmother when I showed her my first piece of furniture for my house. "Just like my grandfather would have done it" I've seen his work. Own it too.

A few of the planes,
40416106.ec920076.640.jpg

Nice photo and nice collection.

John,

Fay and Egan.....that label was attached to a ...????

Love old woodworking machines too. And yeah, I have a few. Just a few.

42926582.ac5746b0.500.jpg

Label on Motor of Favorite Band Saw. How old? I dunno. Some time before 1990 eh? (my guess is late 1940s)

OK, well not an old woodworking machine....

My favorite chisel was a yard sale find. I believe it is a Stanley 720 in 1/4 inch size. I rescued it from a box of very dull drill bits and rusty screws. Gave the guy $0.25 and brought it home. Cleaned off the dirt. Cleaned off the rust. Sharpened the tip. Flattened the back. Honed the cutting edge. Gave it a nice new handle. And what a lovely, functional chisel I had. "HAD" is the key word :(

42975666.02cdee8f.640.jpg

OK, well not an old woodworking machine....

My favorite chisel was a yard sale find. I believe it is a Stanley 720 in 1/4 inch size. I rescued it from a box of very dull drill bits and rusty screws. Gave the guy $0.25 and brought it home. Cleaned off the dirt. Cleaned off the rust. Sharpened the tip. Flattened the back. Honed the cutting edge. Gave it a nice new handle. And what a lovely, functional chisel I had. "HAD" is the key word :(

O my goodness! How did that happen.

Back