W/NW: Tools

eulersnewbag.jpg

OK John, Now I'm impressed. I draw the line at carving moldings; carving in general. I don't mind building interesting profiles with my molding planes, but carving -- no patience.

Nice 112. I kick myself for not buying a 112 in a yard sale a couple years ago -- $50 and I just thought I could get a better deal. What was I thinking?

And that plough plane is something I don't think I've seen before. Neat!

I'm feeling the pull to make some photos of tools now....

Classical wood carving is my true love regarding working with wood. I'd post pictures of my many carving tools but they're not very interesting from a pictorial aspect.

The plough plane, a Record 043, is one of my favorites for making the narrow groove for thin drawer bottoms. It's smaller than the picture indicated and which can be better seen below:

Tools-14
by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

John,
The frame is beautiful. As I said, I'm in awe of folks who can carve. I've tried, it wasn't pretty. Woodcraft had a class several years ago. I definitely learned something in that class -- don't attempt carving. That's not to say I haven't hand-shaped the occasional pull or knob. I'm talking about "carving".

Now that you told me, I have indeed come across that Record plough plane. I really like the size. I have a limping Stanley 48 for such tasks, but find I don't use it hardly at all. Perhaps I should be ashamed to say.....I head to the router table instead :eek:

I'm starting to get the impression your shop is better stocked with neat old tools than mine. And I rather pride myself on my accumulation. I've had to work hard at sticking to my first rule of tool "collecting" : Is it something I actually use for my woodworking? If it's instead a really neat and beautiful tool that I won't use, I can't have it. I've had to implement that same rule to cameras over the last 10 years or so. I'm swimming in cameras I will never use, even though I attempted to acquire only working gear. I sometimes have to make an exception to the rule when the camera is a gift from someone who knows I like old cameras...in which case I smile, thank them sincerely, and accept the camera. I can probably dedicate a shelf or two to such gift cameras.

I've gone through purge periods, another is imminent.

John,
The frame is beautiful. As I said, I'm in awe of folks who can carve.

Thank you..

Now that you told me, I have indeed come across that Record plough plane. I really like the size. I have a limping Stanley 48 for such tasks, but find I don't use it hardly at all. Perhaps I should be ashamed to say.....I head to the router table instead :eek:

The 043 is a joy to use; easy to set up and cuts great. I do however also rely on a router table for lots of repetitive cuts

I'm starting to get the impression your shop is better stocked with neat old tools than mine. And I rather pride myself on my accumulation. I've had to work hard at sticking to my first rule of tool "collecting" : Is it something I actually use for my woodworking? If it's instead a really neat and beautiful tool that I won't use, I can't have it. I've had to implement that same rule to cameras over the last 10 years or so. I'm swimming in cameras I will never use, even though I attempted to acquire only working gear. I sometimes have to make an exception to the rule when the camera is a gift from someone who knows I like old cameras...in which case I smile, thank them sincerely, and accept the camera. I can probably dedicate a shelf or two to such gift cameras.

I've gone through purge periods, another is imminent.

I recently begun to go through much of my "stuff" at my wife's prodding. I have numerous cameras and a darkroom with 4 enlargers. I also have a shop, that as you could see, is full of tools. I haven't even shown most of them. :eek: I'm getting close to retiring and really need to "downsize" my hobbies. Last year I let go most of my bicycles. This year.....??? Who knows?

ETA Thankfully the Parker pen in the classifieds has sold. Way too tempting.

Back