W/NW: Tools

rsz_22470025.jpg

my goodness, john, are those your woodworking tools? i see spoke shaves, block planes, cabinetry planes, saw set (i think), rabbet plane maybe, all kinds of specialty things i do not recognize. my maternal grandfather was a carpenter and woodworker. he is in the oklahoma hall of fame. i have a drawknife that belonged to him ...

what a wonderful thread. sorry i missed it for so long, if i were a young man again, i think i would apprentice myself to the woodworking trade, using traditional tools. there is still a market for such ...

my goodness, john, are those your woodworking tools? i see spoke shaves, block planes, cabinetry planes, saw set (i think), rabbet plane maybe, all kinds of specialty things i do not recognize. my maternal grandfather was a carpenter and woodworker. he is in the oklahoma hall of fame. i have a drawknife that belonged to him ...

Yes, those are photos from my shop. Some of the tools were my grandfathers and some were my fathers. My grandfather was a blacksmith at one time (I have a few of those tools) and a carpenter and I have his tool box although only a few of the tools were his; I replaced missing tools. I did receive a few of my father's (who was in to remodeling houses) tools along with a few of my maternal uncle's. However, many of the tools were purchased by me either new or used over the past 50 years.I've built everything from small boxes to a timberframe house.

ETA My wife is an extremely patient and understanding person. Yesterday she described me as "unique."

One of the aspects of hand woodworking that I enjoy is the slow, methodical work pace. I find it to be very relaxing. Often I enter a zen like state where time stands still and I'm in the "zone." The sharpening of edge tools, especially plane and chisel blades and saw teeth is a great stress reliever.

John, I have been wondering for a couple years now if we are related or somehow share genes.

I see your camera collection in Camera and Coffee and have wondered, who has more cameras? John or I? I note the extreme overlap of models as well, although you have a few I do wish I had.

And then the woodworking. I first thought those images of your shop were of my shop. And again, the overlap in our tools is unnerving. And again, you have a couple tools I have been meaning to acquire.

Simply odd. and sorry for your wife (and mine) I can say you're not terribly unique.

My woodworking also range from small projects (e.g., boxes) to homes, although I have never even attempted timber-frame. Just modern stick frame construction for me. Prefer making furniture.

I also come from a long line of woodworkers. My great grandparents and grandparents were schooled in the Swedish "Slade system", um, over in Sweden. I have inherited a number of tools from my great grandfather and grandfather on my mothers side. On my dads side, it was another tradition of woodworking, and settling the American west. The upshot of this is very well-used (and loved) tools that in some cases are beyond their useful life. So I have set out to acquire tools I need for my shop and now have quite a few. As you know (John), I much prefer my tools that are between 200 and 50 years old over their modern counterparts. Why? (you already know John) Because they are ALWAYS much better built and function much better than the modern junk we are offered today. I've offered the challenge in the past (with a different prize), but find me a handplane, a functioning handplane, at Home Depot and I'll give you a near mint M3, or maybe a Noctilux. You cannot find "real" tools anymore without some searching for the old stuff, or the small-time specialty toolmakers of today (and pay the premium price). BTW, before I get a lot of folks taking me up on that challenge. I know that Home Depot sells "handplanes", but they will not function out of the box. Sometimes after much work and many hours you can get one of them to work as a plane, but not always. Never worth the gamble.

Sorry for the long post. John, love the shop. Did I see a Stanley 79 sitting next to that 92 in one of those images? I'm not fond of the 79 anymore, favoring the Preston design now, but can't find one I can handle before purchasing....

John, love the shop. Did I see a Stanley 79 sitting next to that 92 in one of those images? I'm not fond of the 79 anymore, favoring the Preston design now, but can't find one I can handle before purchasing....

Yes, like a brother from a different mother.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, that is a #79, a tool I frequently use for final trimming when making sliding dovetails. And as you rightfully point out, there are other tools that may work better. This one, however, I find sufficient for my use.

OK John, Now I'm impressed. I draw the line at carving moldings; carving in general. I don't mind building interesting profiles with my molding planes, but carving -- no patience.

Nice 112. I kick myself for not buying a 112 in a yard sale a couple years ago -- $50 and I just thought I could get a better deal. What was I thinking?

And that plough plane is something I don't think I've seen before. Neat!

I'm feeling the pull to make some photos of tools now....

Back