Whaddya think of this guy's style......

If I came across a punk like that he'd probably leave with a broken jaw acting like that. Jamming the camera up to peoples faces.

I assume the raft of videos showing unknown photographers working the streets is a very new thing? I'm not a big You Tube'er at the best of times but it seems I'm only missing the 'How Not To...' part of my photographic education.

If this style was so good then do it with film...I watched up to 1:25 of this video without the sound and didn't need to see any more...I'd like to know what his keeper to delete ratio is...

He seems to be going quantity over quality, which of course disagrees with the photo philosophy of most on this forum. What he and Gilden do is essentially the same, but the latter is not snapping away every second, and he does not come off nearly as disrespectful when shooting people.

I'm not sure what his style is exactly and I don't think the video was about showing style.

Close up photos with wide lenses strikes me more as technique which is all that the video focused on. I don't feel like it gave you any idea of what his overall style is. Is how you use a camera more important than what you produce with it?

If you shoot in this manner, your output better be pretty damn good. What was shown is a bunch of random snaps. Seems like he is doing it just for the thrill.

In my humble opinion, street photography has to give the viewer information about context. The photographs need to live on past the moment. Fabio(?)'s images look like they'll always just be the facial reactions of people. That's not information for me to be interested for more than a moment. I like street photography that includes something else as well... information that places the moment in time or place or both.

What he and Gilden do is essentially the same, but the latter is not snapping away every second, and he does not come off nearly as disrespectful when shooting people.

Well, I'm not so sure the people who've had gilden's flash set-off in their eyes would agree.

Can anyone point out to me what the exact difference between this guy's approach and that of Brude Gilden is? Or is it because Gilden uses a Leica and is a member of Magnum? Or am I missing the greater picture? (haha)

Seriously, though. I don't see what the big difference is - both get pretty much into people's faces. And I also don't see the big difference in artisticness, to be honest.

Can anyone point out to me what the exact difference between this guy's approach and that of Brude Gilden is? Or is it because Gilden uses a Leica and is a member of Magnum?
For one, Bruce Gilden not only sticks the lens in your face, he doubles it up with a bit external flash unit.

HA!!!
Its like extreme / freestyle shooting... I was waiting for him to throw the camera under a leg to take a shot... Kinda funny, in a stupid kinda way..

I wouldn't mind his shooting style if he produced good photographs, but he doesn't.
it looks like just another attempt to seem more interesting than one actually is.

Last edited:
I surely thought, watching the video, he would have hit someone in the face with his camera.

Can anyone point out to me what the exact difference between this guy's approach and that of Brude Gilden is? Or is it because Gilden uses a Leica and is a member of Magnum? Or am I missing the greater picture? (haha)

bruce gilden produces good photography.

Back