Whaddya think of this guy's style......

This way of doing things seems to be the new fad. Like selective color, then "strobist"-esque photos, and cross processing and HDR. And it's a really ugly thing. It's the same picture over and over with different faces. And the approach borders on harassment. I also doubt more than 10% of his photos are in focus.

And I agree, I don't see the difference between his style and gildens. And not to defend Gilden, but this kid seems to be going for that "shocked" look where with gilden he's going for people lost in their own world.

Yeah the 'technique' shown, specifically in this video, seems far more about him than his photographs. I don't want to say too much about his images based upon a few random shots put up at the end of the video. However, as they weren't images he'd taken whilst shooting the video and we're thus left to conclude he could pick and choose what he wanted to show at the end of the clip you have to wonder about the success this technique is affording him.

Agree with what a couple of others said...the few pictures shown in the video are not very interesting (not surprising either).

There are so many of these boring videos on the net of "Street Photographers" walking around shooting. Post one up of yourself acting foolish and get a few moments of notoriety. Stupid.

I don't think the guy is 'making pictures', he is just taking 'snaps'.
He might be annoying but I guess he is harmless enough! Well, I might wonder about that!
I don't have to like the 'snaps' he produces, I don't have to like the way he does things, but the guy will change with time and experience. We have, and
we all do things differently. Who knows what he will be producing in 10 years time!

Lumix

When he said "That's how you get the best shots" I exited the video and looked at a couple of pictures on his website. They were all bad/mediocre.

Edit: Also, I don't care if that's the way he shoots, as I in general don't understand why people care about being photographed.

Speaking of Bruce Gilden; did his application for a membership in Magnum cause a debate like Martin Parr's did? Most of us have probably read that HC-B didn't use a flash because he regarded it as impolite, so I would guess that he especially would have difficulties appreciating Gilden's work method.

I would argue that Gildens style is definitely much more respectful. Gilden might be sneeky and covert, but hes not dishonest about what hes doing. He looks through the view finder and is obvious about the actual act of photographing. He makes a concious desicion whether to shoot or not after viewing the image through his finder.

Fabio is just blindly pointing his camera at people and hoping something turns out. A trained monkey could do what hes doing, and probably get similar results. I looked through his website as well and had a hard time really connecting with any of his photographs.

Being a shocking ass on youtube is a good way to get internet famous and to have people look at your photos though.

'Extreme photography' ... his choice I guess and he's the one taking the risks!

Lurking behind the phone box to leap out at people was a little bizzare but hey ... the peer pressure to become a street photographer can do strange things to an impressionable young individual!

Funny that he speaks of himself as (more of) a perfectionist (than BG).
I see nothing in his style or method that would indicate perfectionism. Quite the opposit really - just random shooting - poking his camera at people, and selecting the lucky catches later on.

Not sure he'd be able to pull that off in the US. Probably get his f*&*$*g ass beat. Street photography is crap these days anyway. It was cool back when small portable cameras were new and interesting.

I don't like most "street" photography. Very few people do it well and most so called "street" photogrpahy is nothing more that shoving a camera randomly in someone's face and hoping for the best. Particularly when practiced by amateurs and wannabes.

As a result most street photographs lack interest or engagement and are boring. (Can't say mine are much better. But at least I make a point of not getting into peoples' faces.) I find that objectionable as is taking photos of homeless people, beggars etc for "artistic" purposes. (There might be an argument for real reportage purposes.) Its not artistic, its not interesting and unless its done with their knowledge and consent, having engaged with them first on a human level is frankly a bloody liberty.

If someone must engage in "street" photography, at least find interesting situations or attractive people or try to make your photos artistic rather than sticking to the 'street shooting" norm of shooting slightly out of focus, excessively contrasty and grainy shots that are "atmospheric." They are not atmospheric, they are annoying.

Clearly I am feeling very grumpy this morning.

Last edited:
I don't like most "street" photography. Very few people do it well and most so called "street" photogrpahy is nothing more that shoving a camera randomly in someone's face and hoping for the best. Particularly when practiced by amateurs and wannabes.

As a result most street photographs lack interest or engagement and are boring. (Can't say mine are much better. But at least I make a point of not getting into peoples' faces.) I find that objectionable as is taking photos of homeless people, beggars etc for "artistic" purposes. (There might be an argument for real reportage purposes.) Its not artistic, its not interesting and unless its done with their knowledge and consent, having engaged with them first on a human level is frankly a bloody liberty.

If someone must engage in "street" photography, at least find interesting situations or attractive people or try to make your photos artistic rather than sticking to the 'street shooting" norm of shooting slightly out of focus, excessively contrasty and grainy shots that are "atmospheric." They are not atmospheric, they are annoying.

Clearly I am feeling very grumpy this morning.

+1...(with the exception that I don't pursue what is currently called "street photography")

I'd been tempted to arrange it so that he would have to pull the memory card that was in his camera from the part of his anatomy where the sun don't shine. Hope he stops what he's doing before someone gets hurt.

Well if he wasn't doing 'street photography' in this way I'm sure he'd be doing something else to get attention. Just one of those individuals who needs to be noticed I suspect!

Back