Whaddya think of this guy's style......

What upset me about his "style" was the fact that he serially startled and disturbed many people by rapidly shoving something (his camera) toward their faces. Several people looked unhappy about their encounter. The people at the phone booth were startled and not pleased. What gives any person the right to do that? Disturbing the peace is not perfectly legal. Having a camera shoved into close proximity of your face when you do not expect it could be construed as attempted assault. And that is why I think he ought to knock it off.

86 responses...the guy must be laughing his ass off.

His work is crap, not because of some Miss Grundy-ish sense of morality but because the work and technique is garbage. Novelty is not substance; attitude is not a substitute for talent.

Gilden did this sort of thing first, but at least with his work there is clearly substance (he's kind of like a modern-day Weegee, but that's another thread)...this guy strikes me as a lout with a camera.

I am tired of all these photographers bashing methods like these. I don't think they bash it because they think it's disrespectful to people or the art or anything, I think they feel the need to bash it due to their own lack of confidence in getting close to people and photographing them.

Let me be an asshole, but all I see is flocks of mediocre photographers ridiculing Bruce Gilden's methods saying that he's somehow wrong in his approach. These low self-esteemed people take their personal frustrations out on another, taking their photography moral high ground and begin to claim that there is a right way to do things. Well it's rubbish, there is no right or wrong way to do things at all.

Now there are younger photographers like this, who's work is not at Gilden's standard yet, or perhaps never. However, the fact that they are breaking out of the norm, away from the bokeh shots of a persons back standing at traffic lights and entering into fairly uncharted territory is something that deserves admiration. Not the hate and disgust these internet warriors dish out.

"Art is about doing what you should not."

No, art is about doing something that is artistic - engaging, interesting.
Here is a definition from Dictionary dot com

"ART: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance."

My point (and I fancy the point many others are making) is that this type of work - and I suppose this guys work specifically - has little significance and does not appeal so it does not meet the above definition.

Now its my turn to be an a-hole :^) My take on it is that most "report-age", is nothing more than "garb-age".

Last edited:
No, art is about doing something that is artistic - engaging, interesting.
Here is a definition from Dictionary dot com

"ART: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance."

I wasn't quoting out of the dictionary, I was quoting an extremely famous and successful photographer. ;)

I wasn't quoting out of the dictionary, I was quoting an extremely famous and successful photographer. ;)

Extremely famous and successful doesn't necessarily mean "good", and what they say isn't necessarily gospel.

For example, here's an extremely famous and successful icon...

Mike-The-Situation-Sorrentino1.jpg

...apparently once said, "You better be hittin' the gym, and if you're not hittin' the gym for like an hour or so, you know, you may have a problem."

Extremely famous and successful doesn't necessarily mean "good", and what they say isn't necessarily gospel.

For example, here's an extremely famous and successful icon...

Mike-The-Situation-Sorrentino1.jpg

...apparently once said, "You better be hittin' the gym, and if you're not hittin' the gym for like an hour or so, you know, you may have a problem."

I have no idea who this person is. I have never felt so ALIVE!

Well, I think he's an excellent photographer and many agree. He has the record for the most photography, and for that matter, general art genre books published ever, perhaps that may give you a hint to who he is? :D

And I think that statement has a lot of merit in it, "Art is about doing what you should not."
Many of the great artists are those that have taken risks, been revolutionary and in many ways have gone against society, and in some cases have redefined it.

What, some dude who got banned by Abercrombie in Fitch has the record for most photography books ever? who'da guessed it!

I don't know who the picture is of, I just have a sneaking suspicion he may be what scousers would call a "no-mark"...and my ignorance is, for once, bliss.

1. no mark

Also commonly used in Merseyside to describe an underacheiver, with no friends, no ambition, no job, but who often has illusions that he is someone or thinks he's important.

I don't know who the picture is of, I just have a sneaking suspicion he may be what scousers would call a "no-mark"...and my ignorance is, for once, bliss.

1. no mark

Also commonly used in Merseyside to describe an underacheiver, with no friends, no ambition, no job, but who often has illusions that he is someone or thinks he's important.

Good for you. Don't even look it up. I have never watched the show, yet I know. It's a Gen-Y (with a bit of Baby-Boomer fuel) inescapable fire, those reality shows.

The point is: fame does not make an opinion a fact.

The suspense is killing me ... will someone tell us who the 'beefcake boy' is? :p

he's a guy from Jersey Shore.

I dont like this guy's methods (edit; I dont know him personally, obviously, I didnt finish that senetence) nor do I particularly like Gilden's. I, honestly, am not a big fan of Gilden. To be fair, I hardly consider him in the same category as Martin Parr though.

But seriously all this thread has managed to do for me is hate myself and my photos.

he's a guy from Jersey Shore.

I dont like this guy's methods (edit; I dont know him personally, obviously, I didnt finish that senetence) nor do I particularly like Gilden's. I, honestly, am not a big fan of Gilden. To be fair, I hardly consider him in the same category as Martin Parr though.

But seriously all this thread has managed to do for me is hate myself and my photos.

I had to Google 'Jersey Shore' ... I now regret asking and feel like soaking in a bath of Detol! :eek:

I detest reallity TV!

Back