What 4x5 for Beginners ?

Which 4x5? (Beginner)

Which 4x5? (Beginner)

Which 4x5? (Beginner)

I’m wanting to get into 4x5 lately, and was wondering which body I should get? Why does no one suggest getting a speed graphic in existing forums as they’re cheap? I want to get a Charmonix 4x5 F1 but I need to save up. Any more suggesitons? Thanks

I just had a look at some cheaper options, here’s the list

Intrepid Gen II 4x5
90mm f8 Nikkor SW
90mm f/8 Fujinon SW
150mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a big negative to work with a Graflex or Busch press camera would be fine.

I've always been very happy with my Crown Graphic. But it's really my only experience with that format.

A lot of people convince themselves that they need a view camera with full movements to justify 4x5, to the point large format is almost synonymous with view cameras. But unless you're shooting architecture or working in a studio it's mostly just pointless complication to deal with.

Streets? As in street photography? Pretty much should be a press or field 4x5. If not "street" then monorail can be used. Or mono can be used in limited fashion I suppose.

Jusxus, unless I'm confusing you with someone else you seem to be posting a huge number of "should I buy this, should I buy that?" threads.

Like any of us, your photography would indisputably improve if you settled on one camera, and a couple of lenses, for the next few months.

Just about every good camera, and certainly the ones you own already, will take good photos. But that won't happen if you spend all your time jonesing for the next piece of kit.

Yes, he is young. And enthusiastically wants to try, apparently, everything.
More power to him, I say.
And, I honestly can only giggle at any one of us here snarking at any one else's GAS.

Rob

Justin is young and has a GAS problem. He won't outgrow it.

That's rubbish and not a fair thing to say to anyone in my opinion! Yes he's all over the place but he's not alone ... many have been in his head space and moved on eventually. We all have to grow and often a comment like this can be very disheartening.

I encourage him to use the gear he has, not to put him down - but to enjoy what he has.

GAS isn't inherently bad... but it's a distraction. It's great to be interested in good lenses and cameras - but the key point is surely to actually use the things.

Good luck to you, Justin, it's no crime to buy stuff but it's also important to enjoy what you actually have already. This forum is not always the best place to suggest that photography involves photos as well as cameras. :)

you better don't delete this thread like to did many time again once it gather all the information, it is a selfish act to keep all the info to yourself by deleting.

Back