What 4x5 for Beginners ?

you better don't delete this thread like to did many time again once it gather all the information, it is a selfish act to keep all the info to yourself by deleting.

I hope he does. It's the only way for the owner of this forum to realize how bad it is to have that option.

(It has to get much worse before it gets better...)

When getting into large format lots of people talk about movements, but in my experience (20 years in LF), you'll use them sparingly. You'll never bend your camera into a pretzel like a lot of ad photos show.

The speed graphic is not great as far as the movements go. But keep my first paragraph in mind. The one movement it lacks is forward tilt. And for a lot of landscape photography, guess what the most used movement is. Forward tilt. Supposedly you can modify a speed (crown) for this, but I don't know the details. The Super Speed has forward tilt, and a decent (convenient) set of movements.

Now when the OP talks about street, the SG is one of the best choices around. Especially with a working and correctly calibrated (or correct cam for the top RF) rangefinder.

LF photography is not just one category or style, and for that reason there are several styles of camera available. I tend to recommend a monorail for a first LF camera. It's just easier to deal with setup and (yes) movements with a typical monorail vs. a typical folder. I bought my first speed graphic almost 30 years ago, but it was when I got a decent monorail about 20 years ago that I really started shooting a lot of OF.

All that's just me of course! Your mileage *will* vary.

Thank you for your opinion :) Yea I heard people use the forward tilt quite often when it comes to landscapes. Do you mean SH, shenhao? Or maybe I just don't know what that is. Gonna have a look at some more cheaper field ones

Buy the Chamonix. It's the best 4x5 camera under $4K that you can buy. Everything else is a compromise and you will eventually either buy the chamonix or give up Large format (which would be a pity). I have tried Wista's, ShenHao's, Linhofs, graflexes, Nagaoka's Toyo's and everyone was a compramise compared to the Chamonix.

Stay away from the speed/crown graphics (unless you find a clean one) on eBay. You don't need multiple lenses to start off. A normal Fl for 4x5 is 150mm (a 50mm lens on 35mm film). A moderate wideangle is 90mm. A moderate tele is 210mm. There are thousands of brilliant lenses out there that will wipe the floor off a Leica (for dirt cheap). Any of the Schnider/rodenstock/nikon/fuji lenses are all good.

OP does have some serious GAS that would be much better if redirected to something else like photography itself.
Falling for gear is an "easy" option IMO. Try to maximize your output with the gear your have and once you start to hit limits do get gear.
IMO like myself being a bit too lazy with 6x9 means I may not warm to the pace required by LF.

Is Chamonix the only option? I would look for used gear and maybe other options.

Stompy (or pro-mone), decent LF lenses themselves are surprisingly affordable ain't they?
Maybe try something else, and once things change resell the body (that is what I tell myself and it ain't happening though)

I would look around japanese ebay stores for example.

Please do not delete threads, as it is information lost. Find amazing reading some great info that was posted in forums a decade or two ago and still relevant. Revise your forum etiquette, as I might understand you are used to a more instantaneous medium like chat or social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your budget? You need more than the camera and the lens. I sold my Chamonix on Large format forum for around $600

As he rose the usage in street and so, it limits intentions to a field or press cameras.
I would do the thought excercise IF really it will be used for street.
Do you use the next smaller format in a way you would use LF? Maybe it would draw some more conclusions. Chamonix for street how fitting is it?
Back a few years ago I recall calumet monorails were very cheap. A complete LF kit for $400 was possible.

Mind you that 4x5 does not seem as shooting happy as rollfilm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, gonna actually use 4x5 sheets this time

My budget is around 600-700 US, preferably with a lens. Wow, i would love to have a chamonix body for 600 :)

Linhof Master Technika with at least 3 cammed lenses so you've got all your bases covered of course is the only thing you should buy.

It doesn't matter for what you are going to use it. The only matter is how you are going to use it.

Press cameras are the only cameras which allows you to take 4x5 image handheld and quick. But it comes with limit. All you will get is 4x5 negative, which you will have hard time to develop and most likely will never able to print for real. Just scans or contact prints.

With frenchie camera you have in mind it is completely different.
You have to set it on the tripod, just like artist setting his blank on the tripod. And getting picture is almost the same in speed as getting it by the brash or pencil. You'll spend enormous time to find place where to place it secure and looking at the spot. Then another load of time to set it up. Then even longer time to focus, shift and compose. And then you will measure the light, but by the time you will get cable release in your hand the light is changed and you might never get same light and shadows placement in the frame again. This is why here is only few good landscape LF photos comparing to Polaroid ones. :D

It doesn't matter for what you are going to use it. The only matter is how you are going to use it.

Press cameras are the only cameras which allows you to take 4x5 image handheld and quick. But it comes with limit. All you will get is 4x5 negative, which you will have hard time to develop and most likely will never able to print for real. Just scans or contact prints.

You have to set it on the tripod, just like artist setting his blank on the tripod. And getting picture is almost the same in speed as getting it by the brash or pencil. You'll spend enormous time to find place where to place it secure and looking at the spot. Then another load of time to set it up. Then even longer time to focus, shift and compose. And then you will measure the light, but by the time you will get cable release in your hand the light is changed and you might never get same light and shadows placement in the frame again. This is why here is only few good landscape LF photos comparing to Polaroid ones. :D

What?? Clearly, you've never shot largeformat. It took me on average under 5 minutes to setup everything and take the shot (setting up the camera, tripod movements focus exposure etc).

If all you want to do is do handheld 4x5 on the street without a tripod look into the travel wide or a converted polaroid 110B (those would be rangefinder coupled). Those would be within your budget. Anything else and don't bother unless it's a Chamonix. Unless ofc you find an ebony or Phillips for your budget (might be like winning the lottery!)

What?? Clearly, you've never shot largeformat. It took me on average under 5 minutes to setup everything and take the shot (setting up the camera, tripod movements focus exposure etc).

:rolleyes:

I used three press cameras and one view camera for few years. And printed from them all under real 4x5 enlarger.

16151594691_bf130cef7b_o.jpg

GraflexCG_Shanghai100_HC-110B_AgfaBrovira8x10_OmegaD5_2015-10-30-11.JPG

Have the sense of humor and be the light with you and others, cheers. :)

:rolleyes:

I used three press cameras and one view camera for few years. And printed from them all under real 4x5 enlarger.

16151594691_bf130cef7b_o.jpg

GraflexCG_Shanghai100_HC-110B_AgfaBrovira8x10_OmegaD5_2015-10-30-11.JPG

Have the sense of humor and be the light with you and others, cheers. :)

My apologies. Now I'm confused as to why you would say it takes so long to take a pic in LF. Nice pics btw;)

passing GAS is a fun and necessary phase. it gets old eventually.

i'd get a pre-anniversary speed graphic for that all black look. a converted polaroid would be cool, too, but i don't they have front tilt, which you'll probably want for landscapes.

Did you decide against the Leica M2?

What do you mean? he bought the M2.

You have to set it on the tripod, just like artist setting his blank on the tripod. And getting picture is almost the same in speed as getting it by the brash or pencil. You'll spend enormous time to find place where to place it secure and looking at the spot. Then another load of time to set it up. Then even longer time to focus, shift and compose. And then you will measure the light, but by the time you will get cable release in your hand the light is changed and you might never get same light and shadows placement in the frame again.

You've just described my fortune, every darn time when i got the things all setup and dial in nice and tight the light is gone.... :bang:

Back