What 4x5 for Beginners ?

When I started out with LF I had no idea what I wanted or needed until I got a kit and shot for a few months. After that I knew exactly what camera with what specs and which lenses and what coverage, etc. This is all based on what I shoot and how I shoot. I think LF is something you'll need to dive in. Not sure if this helps but I wish someone had told me this before I bought my first kit which turned out to be inappropriate for my needs.

I have a Speed Graphic but also have an Intrepid on order. I have already got a 90mm Super-Angulon f8 as a starting lens. It's equivalent to a 28mm.

If I were you I'd go for the Intrepid above all others.

I got into 5x4 via the Harman Titan pinhole which is capable of lovely results.

Also get a MOD54 film holder for processing the film and a Paterson 3 reel tank if you don't have one already.

Thanks, will get the intrepid then :) after someone refund me. And yea I will need to get a mod54 or another kit

I didn't like the mod54, but YMMW. Have you looked at the SP-445? Eventually for 5x7 I went with the BW KING tank, they have a 4x5 model as well, but it's pricey.

I have a FLM FT38 head that I outgrew, if you're looking for a good tripod head. Works well on 4x5 and small 5x7, but for the heavier 5x7 I found that I needed the larger ball.

A good thing with the FLM ballheads is that you can set it in one direction at a time - almost like a 3D head!

Which 4x5? (Beginner)

I’m wanting to get into 4x5 lately, and was wondering which body I should get? Why does no one suggest getting a speed graphic in existing forums as they’re cheap? I want to get a Charmonix 4x5 F1 but I need to save up. Any more suggestions? Thanks

I just had a look at some cheaper options, here’s the list

Intrepid Gen II 4x5
90mm f8 Nikkor SW
90mm f/8 Fujinon SW
150mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W

I'd recommend getting on the Facebook Large Format Buy / Sell Group.

There's a dude there, Kumar, living in Japan. He gets access to a lot of Toyo stuff, ships fast and cheap, and the prices are very good.

Something like a Toyo45A is the right place to start. It's a tank and can take a beating. It's a beefier Graflex and has more movements.

As for Chamonix, they're ok... but they're fiddly cameras with no detents so getting that sucker square (if that's your cup of tea) is hard.

Personally, I have an Arca Swiss. That's your next GAS upgrade.

Someone offered me a Tachihara 4x5 at a decent price. I know it's popular to LF shooters, but I don't really like the look of it. Any opinions?

Someone offered me a Tachihara 4x5 at a decent price. I know it's popular to LF shooters, but I don't really like the look of it. Any opinions?

Of course, you will get lots of attention while set up in the street! That's with the cherry and golden brass finish. Anyways, think that a bellows camera is quite a novelty to see, and a great ice breaker. Bellows and TLR cameras have this allure.

I suppose you will go for slower tripod setups, handheld relegates you basically to press cameras, as commented before.

You are the one that will be shooting it and has a rough idea of the usage. Landscapes will not care about the look of the camera.

All if these cameras are capable of excellent results.

Tastes differ and opinions are singular...

If it's the Tachihara 4x5 I'm thinking of:

tachihara_4495.jpg

And you say you don't like how it looks, then I think we have very different opinions of what looks good.

If you're saying this particular one doesn't look good, well, I'd like to know why.

I started shooting 4x5 on a Monorail camera. That opened my eyes to how movements work and how best to apply them. Great learning experience! I gave it away, and recently re-acquired a monorail camera and am going to have fun using that for the things a monorail is good at.

I'll echo above statements: TRIPOD is just as important as the camera.

I moved from the first Monorail to a Super Graphic. The super was a *great* platform for both hand-held shooting with the RF, and use as a field camera with its generous front movements. No FP shutter, but built like a tank. You could crack walnuts with it and not worry.

I did eventually get fed up with the Super Graphic's limited movements for my 75mm lens, and the death of the 4x5-format instant from Fuji made it much less appealing to shoot handheld, so I moved to a Toko 4x5 wood field camera, not dissimilar to the Tachihara but for only about $400 USD used.

10810651796_84a4471263_b.jpg

I am extremely pleased with it.

True! But I guess the look doesn't matter to me. Gonna buy the intrepid then, light weight and sturdy, looks good too!

Yep thats the one. It just doesnt look right to me, the gold and wood finish doesnt please my eyes

True! But I guess the look doesn't matter to me. Gonna buy the intrepid then, light weight and sturdy, looks good too!

Isn't the intrepid a kit camera? I had a better perception about the tachihara. LOL Don't say look matters, and later on say it doesn't 😂😂😂
Btw, the tachi is quite light and a certain blogger (Mr. R) praised it very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I' m doing my first steps in lf and made myself a pinhole with some alu sheet I have around. It is forseen to put a fuji swd 75 on it but still a bit work before that bappens. If this goes well I have set my target on a Wista. For developing I got a mod45 but I really don't like the lid and amount of chemicals needed. So I got a jobo 2509n that fits my cpe2 and couldn't be happier.

After reading this thread I agree that building a pinhole for 4x5 is not only fun but also worth it. It let you get some feeling with the work needed when using 4x5 without spending much.

Wow! You think the Intrepid looks nicer than that Tachihara?? I guess we all have opinions... I have a Wista that looks very similar to the Tachi, in my opinion, the cherry wood/brass combo is the quintessential wooden 4x5 field camera.

I'd jump all over the Tachihara if you could get it for a good deal.

I' m doing my first steps in lf and made myself a pinhole with some alu sheet I have around. It is forseen to put a fuji swd 75 on it but still a bit work before that bappens. If this goes well I have set my target on a Wista. For developing I got a mod45 but I really don't like the lid and amount of chemicals needed. So I got a jobo 2509n that fits my cpe2 and couldn't be happier.

After reading this thread I agree that building a pinhole for 4x5 is not only fun but also worth it. It let you get some feeling with the work needed when using 4x5 without spending much.

I'm currently waiting on the Intrepid camera I bought and I happen to have plenty of black-core foam board around...think I know what I'll be doing later today and tomorrow morning! :)

While I was deciding if I wanted to pursue 4x5, one of the major things that led me to a "yes, I will" answer was the Stearman SP 445 daylight tank. It uses relatively minimal amounts of chemistry, about 500ml for 4 sheets of 4x5. Intended for BW processing. Not too expensive at around $80.
Rob

Wow! You think the Intrepid looks nicer than that Tachihara?? I guess we all have opinions... I have a Wista that looks very similar to the Tachi, in my opinion, the cherry wood/brass combo is the quintessential wooden 4x5 field camera.

I'd jump all over the Tachihara if you could get it for a good deal.

I chose the Intrepid not for looks--cherry wood and brass is, generally, very pretty to me--but for two other reasons: cost and weight. When I paid for mine it was £250. As I was buying from the US, my cost was less--subtract the 20% VAT and the $ was pretty strong against the £. So including a pinhole lens board and shipping my cost was £246. Just over $300 at the time.
Not as pretty as the Tachihara but for my first--other than paper neg. pinbholes I've made over the years--foray into LF, it made sense.
And, the camera is only 900 grams. And new.
I couldn't resist. :)

Rob

Yup! To me the wista looks better than the tachihara. The tachihara looks corny to my eyes. I guess ill like the tachihara when im older..

I agree with you on the intrepid. I only need to pay 225 pounds for mine

Back