What 4x5 for Beginners ?

If I recall I got my Wista in 2004ish for $400 used on Ebay...I'm not sure if that's in line with today's pricing... or even if they are readily available used. I do know that was right around when people were leaving film for digital. The guy I bought it from was switching fully to Digital with the Canon 1Ds full frame.

I already had the 1DMKII at the time (which is now a paperweight- a heavy one), but I wanted to try 4x5. Glad I did. In fact I don't shoot this enough. Need to change that.

While I was deciding if I wanted to pursue 4x5, one of the major things that led me to a "yes, I will" answer was the Stearman SP 445 daylight tank. It uses relatively minimal amounts of chemistry, about 500ml for 4 sheets of 4x5. Intended for BW processing. Not too expensive at around $80.
Rob

Got the jobo because I already had the cpe2 but I certainly like that it only needs 270 ml for 6 4x5's when using rotation. Also reasonably easy to find second hand and easy to load.

The Intrepid is certainly not a bad looking camera, but there is something classic about brass and wood that I love. "Corny" maybe, but we all like what we like!

As far as developing, I have a Paterson Orbital Color Print Processor tray thingy, and it's perfect for my needs.

Ha! I guess I need to get more into 4x5 till i understand how good looking those things are

The mod45 is definitely not on my list. Gonna have a look at the jobo

Ha! I guess I need to get more into 4x5 till i understand how good looking those things are

The mod45 is definitely not on my list. Gonna have a look at the jobo

Seeing them in person and using them may be different from just pictures. But don't let us push you into thinking you need to "like" something. After all, the looks of the camera don't matter so much as the pictures that come out of it.

Someone offered me a Tachihara 4x5 at a decent price. I know it's popular to LF shooters, but I don't really like the look of it. Any opinions?

I had a Nagaoka GB back in the day. It was very very similar to the Tachihara. I found that it was an excellent fit for my shooting, which was primarily "rocks & trees" landscapes. It handled my 180 Nikkor-W fine, but it would have had stability problems with a larger 210 or 240, particularly for close work where its bellows would be extended to near its max (~300mm).

I also would have preferred a slide-lock (e.g. "Graflok") back instead of a spring back, but its springs would swallow a Polaroid 405 pack back and my Calumet 6x7 roll holder fine. Backs like the Calumet roll holder and the Polaroid 545 holder, with their heavy mass outside of the back, can be issues with older spring back only cameras was their springs weaken with age and the holders can shift, fogging the film. When using a camera with a combo spring&slidelock back (classic Graflok design), I would alway use the slide locks even when I was sliding the hold in under the ground glass' springs to avoid the isssue.

It should also be noted that one downside to the old Graphic press cameras is their small lens board and the resulting small front opening. They can't "swallow" may modern SW lenses, 90mm and shorter. If you have a Graflok model, you can remove the rear cell, mount the lens, remove the ground glass, and reinstall the rear cell from the back. You still have limitations with the movements as the rear cell will hit the bellows with any significant front movement.

A Wista 45n is a lot more camera than an Intrepid.
That Tachihara is an outstanding shooter and one of the lightest. Much like my Nagaoka.
Just remember, if you want to shoot any street images, you won't be able to do that without a rangefinder. You can't do it with the ground glass, looking at an upside down image under a dark cloth. In fact, I would never do this on the streets of Philadelphia or NYC and I have a lot of experience, combat included. Wearing a dark cloth is just a great way to get run over in a crowd.

Phil Forrest

Ive followed your posts for a while and I'd suggest buying the cheapest camera body that's light tight and lens that the shutter works on and covers the format with a little movement that you can find. You've never used a view camera, haven't gotten film processing down very well, don't understand metering and bounce from camera to camera every few weeks.

Forget about what looks cool and get a beater to try. You don't even know if you'll like doing large format. You may not want a monorail but they're super cheap and you can learn with it. Get something like a Calumet monorail from the 60's I used them at the studio I apprenticed in in the early 70's and then when I was an industrial photographer for Union Carbide Nuclear in the mid 70's. They're ugly, heavy, tougher than a tank, easy to use and very cheap. Get an ilex 6" or 8" or similar Tessa's design and learn to use the camera. I'll refer you to Ansel Adams book on the camera, also Exposure and the Negative for processing. You can really learn a great deal from these books.

When you decide if you want to continue with large format, after a few months and exposing a few hundred sheets and getting good results, you can sell your rig and buy something better. You can't really make a judgment on what you need until you learn a little more about yourself and whether LF still has the charm you think it does. There are a lot of LF gear for sale because folks found it wasn't what they thought it was.

Well then the Wista 45n would be the cheapest. I agree with what you say. Well I'm not gonna do a few hundred shots in a few moths, wayy less than that I suppose

There's a Calumet 4x5 monorail on eBay right for $230. Included with that is the case, film holders, darkcloth and a superb Caltar S 210mm. The Caltar S is a rebranded Schneider Symmar S with the Calumet name in it. The Symmar S is one of the best and worth the price of the entire kit. I've used several different FL Symmar S lenses in commercial work since they were introduced. If you buy that and learn to use a view camera, sell the body and keep the rest it like buying the lens at a reasonable le price and getting the rest free. You'll make money and have a lens for a wood field camera.

Well then the Wista 45n would be the cheapest. I agree with what you say. Well I'm not gonna do a few hundred shots in a few moths, wayy less than that I suppose
The Wista is a great camera. Before taking that plunge, research it to get to know all the parts and its intricacies. Make sure to bring a very bright flashlight to check the bellows for leaks (that goes for any large format camera.) Run the camera through the full range of what it can do and make sure it is smooth doing it all.
Find a good 150mm lens if the camera doesn't come with one. The Fujinons in Seiko or older Copal shutters are great. I think you need offset lensboards for the Wista if I recall correctly. Don't forget all the other stuff you'll need and a stable tripod too.

Phil Forrest

Monorails are that good! I've been a commercial photographer for nearly fifty years. I bought a new Sinar Norma in the late 60's and shot many thousands of sheets through it on jobs. It's just as tight and sturdy today as the day I bought it. The Sinar is top of the line as Linhof and Arca are but even the cheap calumet will last under heavy use for decades. Yes they are that good.

Calumet also had a more versatile model with interchangeable bellows and rails. I believe they were Cambo made. I bought one for a photo department in an ad agency I worked for back in the late 70's. They're great cameras.

Do consider a cheap one until you decide what you need and don't skimp on film. You need to get a book on technique and get out and shoot film, lots of film. You're not going to get very proficient shooting a 25 sheet box. Think about it, 25 sheets is basically the same as a 24 exposure roll of 35mm. You can't learn much shooting 24 exposures of 35mm can you?

True :) Might consider them once I get into LF.

Of course I'm gonna check the bellows and other parts. Comes with a rodenstock 150/4.5 and 3 film holders for 640US, he can do a bit lower I think but yea might get that set instead of the tachi and the intrepid

Rodenstock 150 f4.5? Has to be a Tessar formula. If so it won't cover much more than 4x5 with little to no movements. You'll be extremely limited.

Before you jump into something you don't know anything about you need to research the different types of lenses. You're going to wind up with something that's not going to work very well.

The 150 f4.5 is most likely a Rodenstock Ysarex which is a Tessar formula. They're good lenses but as I said above it just covers 4x5 with almost no movements. You need a plasmat design like a Symmar (S), Fujinon W ( there are 3 versions), Nikkor W or Rodenstock Sironar. Some of these were found under different brand names at cheaper prices. Do your research first and avoid a costly mistake.

Back