what happen to the recent "which 4x5 camera to buy" thread?

It looks like Justin's user name and all his threads have been deleted as well. He had a few ads up and they're gone too. When I saw the 4x5 thread deleted, I tried looking him up to send him a PM to stop deleting his threads since all the RFFers who chime in provide a lot of knowledge that is useful to everyone, not just the OP.

Phil Forrest

I hope the moderator can bring back some of those threads, among other threads he been deleting regularly when it gather all the information he needed, last week I was reading the one that he lamenting about the vulcanite chip on his "brand new" M2 and demanding a cheap solution to fix the vulcanite. Plenty of repair advice came in with reference to repair person to contacts and suggestion and then it was deleted.

Until now the only thread he delete was the one he remembers, oh well, I guess he found the delete all button...

maybe tomorrow we'll have a new register member with all the gears in the signature and self proclaim street photographer with 4x5 wista...

maybe tomorrow we'll have a new register member with all the gears in the signature and self proclaim street photographer with 4x5 wista...

Heck, I just got up to date about the intrepids and turns out they have published a project for a 8x10". That'd be the best option as it tops up formats. ;)

I do feel for the contributions and effort of the members involved, also the wealth of knowledge put on table. While searching something count on old threads found, from many years ago, that end up having quite useful information.
Heck on P.net there was/is the original film camera reviews from the end of millenium and it is curious to read and feel the zeitgeist from the era.

I don't feel there is a delete username option though...

He's over at the Largeformatphotography.info forum on a similar thread if any of you want to chime in there.

Phil Forrest

It is rude, as people asked him not to delete, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Even though I reckon the idea of his buying a 4x5 was crazy, it did encourage a flow of some good information.

"Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

So I guess it was deleted?

Ah sorry, I'm a mod, so I didn't realize it wasn't viewable. Yes, his posts have been removed. The thread wasn't deleted but since he was banned, and he was the OP, the thread is no longer active.

Ah sorry, I'm a mod, so I didn't realize it wasn't viewable.

I see. What about those post that he selectively delete, can those be found back? I don't know if the forum (software?) actually keep everything in the database or not?

Maybe this is good time to ask if the forum can remove the delete button like brbo suggested earlier?

Yes, certainly rude and unnecessary. As someone who is thinking about LF in the distant future, the generous info and experience from all involved was very useful. I wonder what the mentality is behind deleting this and other posts?

I've been on RF for years and went over and found his thread. I put up a comment here last night trying to get him to research lenses before jumping in and making a big costly mistake. Over several threads tried to get him to learn the basics before jumping into things blindly. Learn to properly expose, correct camera and lens choice and how to process correctly. Learn to crawl then walk then run. I'm not sure he shot more than a half dozen rolls and may have gotten two or three ok images. I suggested several books to get him going to no avail.

The thing I've Observed with Justin is he came here to get us to pat him on the back and tell him his choices in gear are perfect and he's doing the right thing. If you present facts that he doesn't agree with he delete the thread and starts another. Last count a week ago he started 80+ threads.

I posted a little warning over at LF hoping people won't waste a lot of time on him just to get their info deleted. If you're a member at LFF please go over and post your thoughts. He's posting in the Lens section about wide angles.

I've been on RF for years and went over and found his thread. I put up a comment here last night trying to get him to research lenses before jumping in and making a big costly mistake. Over several threads tried to get him to learn the basics before jumping into things blindly. Learn to properly expose, correct camera and lens choice and how to process correctly. Learn to crawl then walk then run. I'm not sure he shot more than a half dozen rolls and may have gotten two or three ok images. I suggested several books to get him going to no avail.

The thing I've Observed with Justin is he came here to get us to pat him on the back and tell him his choices in gear are perfect and he's doing the right thing. If you present facts that he doesn't agree with he delete the thread and starts another. Last count a week ago he started 80+ threads.

I posted a little warning over at LF hoping people won't waste a lot of time on him just to get their info deleted. If you're a member at LFF please go over and post your thoughts. He's posting in the Lens section about wide angles.
I hadn't realized he was quite that selfish and short-sighted but I have to say that I am not astonished by your analysis.

Cheers,

R.

I hadn't realized he was quite that selfish and short-sighted but I have to say that I am not astonished by your analysis.

Cheers,

R.

Years ago we described people like him as not knowing which end of the camera to pour the hypo in. Just joking of course.

Years ago we described people like him as not knowing which end of the camera to pour the hypo in. Just joking of course.
We need a "like" button.

I can't help wondering how long he'll survive when he gets to art school in the UK. Yes, OK, art schools are a great haven for the vague and overprivileged (as well as for the vaguely overprivileged) but there's a limit to what even they can stand.

Quite a few of my friends went to art school. I nearly did. Surprisingly many of my friends who lecture/lectured at art schools didn't go to art school themselves.

Cheers,

R.

I knew something was up when he badmouthed Xpans...

As Georgie B would say, youth is wasted on the young.

Ah sorry, I'm a mod, so I didn't realize it wasn't viewable. Yes, his posts have been removed. The thread wasn't deleted but since he was banned, and he was the OP, the thread is no longer active.

Is there a chance for breaking, or better changing the rules and reactivating the thread? To me it seems that in this case the ban goes against the interest of all participants but not the banned OP.

As a alternative: if I asked the same question would it be possible to paste and copy and thus "safe" the given information?

I didn't post in that thread as I don't use a 4x5 but read it with great interest over the last few days, it was a constant front page "attraction".

By the middle of 2nd page I realized he was a hoax as his choice was easily swayed with various suggestions; "I think I will get an intrepid", or "maybe I will get a Wista", etc. What I admire about all of you who contributed to that thread is despite knowing he was going to delete it you kept on posting with an intention to help. :p

One thing that still looms over my head is he didn't like the look of Tachihara 4x5!!! :eek: :confused:

Cheers,

R.

Between you and I we have a century of professional experience. Being 16 years old doesn't even trump experience of that magnitude. Of course he can take or leave the advice but he should be decent enough to leave it for others.

Back