what happen to the recent "which 4x5 camera to buy" thread?

Elegantly put, Roger... the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' comes to mind.

That said, on this forum I'm constantly amazed of member's generosity of spirit in advising, assisting and sharing their experience and hard-won knowledge with those starting out on their photographic education.

A big thank you everyone who contributes: I've learned and gained insight into a multiple areas - not just photographic - that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Agreed - I have learned a great deal from all of the good citizens of RFF - thanks to all.

Dear Robert,

Sure, we can put up with financially overprivileged twits with the attention span of a stunned herring.

Justin has first world problems. And so do many of those posting on this thread. Honestly, are all our lives so dull that if we comment a couple of lines on what camera someone should buy, and they get lost, that we feel we've lost something vital?

The young man's main complaint seemed to be jonesing for new gear. And most of the people on that thread seemed to me to be encouraging him to get another fix. There might have been some good info there, but it was obviously in a pointless cause!

Ok, thread is back. Thanks to the mods for this. Could we now get back to that?

Sure, we all do ask silly questions. And google will never replace real experience.

Hi,

I can't help thinking that this thread and posts would not exist if the ban had been announced after (say) his/her last post and the posts left in place. I just don't like the idea that being banned means you are air brushed out of the forums.

Perhaps things would be less fraught if (say) after a post the mod put up a post saying it would be deleted because... and giving the poster a time limit to openly give his/her defence. Then we would all see and understand, rather than suspecting all manner of things.

Regards, David.

Hi,

I can't help thinking that this thread and posts would not exist if the ban had been announced after (say) his/her last post and the posts left in place. I just don't like the idea that being banned means you are air brushed out of the forums.

Regards, David.

Maybe it's more of the mechanism behind the forum. Some other platforms ban the user but keep the content intact. Either display [banned] or a sort of modification to the username.

I guess bans aren't that flash immediate if there is a growing reason behind, suppose there is a warning to the user about his/her behaviour and possible consequences.

Justin has first world problems. And so do many of those posting on this thread. Honestly, are all our lives so dull that if we comment a couple of lines on what camera someone should buy, and they get lost, that we feel we've lost something vital?

The young man's main complaint seemed to be jonesing for new gear. And most of the people on that thread seemed to me to be encouraging him to get another fix. There might have been some good info there, but it was obviously in a pointless cause!
Dear Paul,

Few of us mind wasting our own time: what else is this forum for?

But it's somehow different when someone else wastes it.

Cheers,

R.

David, this was not a bad behavior in a thread situation.

Hi,

Perhaps I didn't explain properly.

We noticed the thread had vanished and didn't know why and it expanded from there with a lot of puzzled questions and answers and so on; so I suggested some sort of marker and leaving the posts intact, even if the poster is banned.

Being air brushed out caused it, imo. And there's a lot to be said for giving them a chance to defend themselves. Not this guy but anyone about to be banned.

For all I know and I/we don't all this may have happened.

Regards, David

Hi,
Perhaps I didn't explain properly.

We noticed the thread had vanished and didn't know why and it expanded from there with a lot of puzzled questions and answers and so on; so I suggested some sort of marker and leaving the posts intact, even if the poster is banned.

Being air brushed out caused it, imo. And there's a lot to be said for giving them a chance to defend themselves. Not this guy but anyone about to be banned.

For all I know and I/we don't all this may have happened.

Regards, David
Dear David,

Fair point.

Cheers,

R.

Back