what happen to the recent "which 4x5 camera to buy" thread?

One of the forums I frequent allows editing for 30 minutes and delete only by the mods. For linked in photos members can delete or change the link at the hosting site. Seems to work quite well...

We have had similar discussions about the delete function over the years. And we have lost some information because of the ability of a thread's OP to delete not only their own post but the entire thread.
Personally, I've never felt that I "owned" a thread simply because I started it. I own (and will own up to...:) ) my posts but surely not what ever some one else has posted.
Not too long ago, I was looking at some of my own early posts--a somewhat cringe-worthy exercise--and while I'm not a teenager, I sure as heck have been all over the place in my enthusiasms and really have only settled down about gear choices in the last year or so. But I am not going to delete any of those because a bunch of you have shared your knowledge and experience not just with me but with who ever might be looking for similar info. Just as, in the case where I've been able to be helpful, I reckon I'm not only answering the OP of any given thread, but also who ever else reads the thread.
Stephen and Mods, can we delete the delete button?

Rob

might be an obvious questions, but is there a way to just delete your own posts and leave everybody else's posts intact?

This happened a few years back with a long, complex, informative thread on Vivian Maier. It was very hard to live with the OP deleting pages and pages of very worthwhile (and controversial) input from our forum members.
The #### deleted his thread and left the forum. We discussed RFF options about deleting other peoples' postings, but there were no changes to the system.
No one should have the right to delete someone else's postings.

might be an obvious questions, but is there a way to just delete your own posts and leave everybody else's posts intact?

If the first post in a thread is deleted, it takes the thread with it. If a subsequent post in a thread is deleted, the thread and other posts stay and only that post is deleted.

If you were rude, apologise. If you at some point didn't know it all, that's ok.

The same logic works in real life (as if you had any other option).

Yes.

Mods can resurrect a thread like this, but what if nobody notices/remembers that a thread with a wealth of information has silently been deleted?!

Underlined: Yes, you are right; and probably a better solution than being seen as slinking away from responsibility (when maybe it was just shame).

Bolded: Control Z? :p

Lat night he posted he'd found a Rodenstock 150mm f4.5. I knew that it wasn't a Sironar and had to be a Tessar formula. while good lenses they don't have much coverage. I posted that and stated it wouldn't allow any movements. he's now on LFF asking the same question about the Ysarex Rodenstock. Didn't believe my answer.
He wanted a cheap lens. Less expensive LF lenses generally have less coverage (and wonky shutters). Sounds like he bought one. Sometimes learning from your mistakes makes for better memories, so not believing you may be a blessing in disguise.

Hi,

It worries me that others can delete my posts; I'd hope that only I could do that.

It's throwing the baby out with the bath water when all's said and done.

Regards, David

Last edited:
This is the only forum of which I'm a member where entire threads can be deleted by members, which of course results in other member's posts going down with the ship. Other forums require a member to submit a request to a mod/admin.

As far as the intrepid (now banned) OP is concerned, he does the same thing on facebook in the vintage camera groups. Starts numerous threads, replies with 'maybe I'll buy xxx' and 'or maybe I'll get yyy' and then deletes.

This is the only forum of which I'm a member where entire threads can be deleted by members, which of course results in other member's posts going down with the ship. Other forums require a member to submit a request to a mod/admin.

As far as the intrepid (now banned) OP is concerned, he does the same thing on facebook in the vintage camera groups. Starts numerous threads, replies with 'maybe I'll buy xxx' and 'or maybe I'll get yyy' and then deletes.

Is that right? What's his name on Facebook please?

oh dear, sorry about my initial question spawn off this many response.

Isn't this exactly what you wanted? :)

(Now looking at the post at #52, seems the Human flesh search engine is on..)

I think this is actually some geeky/Eastern network behaviour. It originates back when the space of an online forum/ discussion group was limited. So people asked questions, got answered, then deleted the question to save space/keep the forum neat. It's still common to see on Eastern networks that people ask the admin to lock the thread after the question get answered.

I think this is actually some geeky/Eastern network behaviour. It originates back when the space of an online forum/ discussion group was limited. So people asked questions, got answered, then deleted the question to save space/keep the forum neat. It's still common to see on Eastern networks that people ask the admin to lock the thread after the question get answered.
Sorry: what's "Eastern"? Eastern where?

Cheers,

R.

BS. I'd as soon give him a wide berth. Simpler to do that if I know who he is—no more, no less.

Pretty harsh comments about this guy here and I'm disappointed. He is obviously a little off balance and may be Asperger inclined or some other manifestation of a mental condition. His behaviour is not normal lets face it ... but you people seriously need to take a deep breath and have a look inside yourselves and get over this need to dismantle anyone who doesn't meet your expectations.

Pretty harsh comments about this guy here and I'm disappointed.

And your «diagnosis» is not «harsh»? :rolleyes:

He is obviously a little off balance and may be Asperger inclined or some other manifestation of a mental condition. His behaviour is not normal lets face it ... but you people seriously need to take a deep breath and have a look inside yourselves and get over this need to dismantle anyone who doesn't meet your expectations.

Back