What happened to Ned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ned and I share the same views of online photo communities, they are to be taken in small doses. We also both earn a full time living off of photography and share the same views on the whole internet phenom of lack of real critique and glowing praise circles, Facebook love / like fests and what they have done to the overall preception of what actually makes a great photograph.

Also......we tend to want to say things online just like we would in person, face to face. Not sugar coat it & play the vomit inducing card of if you can not say anything nice then don’t say anything at all. I can say “we” confidently because we have had numerous PM’s about this and fully agree.

So for the most part, online communities are often doing more harm to him or I than good…at times things really piss us off, especially regarding topics around what pros use, why, what they earn, are they all homeless, not enjoy photography as much as the software developer who has more gas than a bean eating platoon, etc, etc.

It has gotten to be way too much for either of us at one time or another and we have both been banned temporarily on numerous occasions and have banned our selves from coming here for a spell equally as much.

But the bottom line is that the thing Ned and I both put at the very top of the photography heap is only caring about the very very best photography being made, often finding no reason for celebrating anything less than that. And of course, constantly pushing our selves to the utter brink of a breakdown in trying to rise to that visual level our selves.

Ned decided he had enough, so I applaud him in making the right move.

As for me, I seem to be doing ok at taking in online photo forums in very small doses, at the moment, I can manage that….

Ned and I share the same views of online photo communities, they are to be taken in small doses. We also both earn a full time living off of photography and share the same views on the whole internet phenom of lack of real critique and glowing praise circles, Facebook love / like fests and what they have done to the overall preception of what actually makes a great photograph.

Also......we tend to want to say things online just like we would in person, face to face. Not sugar coat it & play the vomit inducing card of if you can not say anything nice then don’t say anything at all. I can say “we” confidently because we have had numerous PM’s about this and fully agree.

So for the most part, online communities are often doing more harm to him or I than good…at times things really piss us off, especially regarding topics around what pros use, why, what they earn, are they all homeless, not enjoy photography as much as the software developer who has more gas than a bean eating platoon, etc, etc.

It has gotten to be way too much for either of us at one time or another and we have both been banned temporarily on numerous occasions and have banned our selves from coming here for a spell equally as much.

But the bottom line is that the thing Ned and I both put at the very top of the photography heap is only caring about the very very best photography being made, often finding no reason for celebrating anything less than that. And of course, constantly pushing our selves to the utter brink of a breakdown in trying to rise to that visual level our selves.

As for me, I seem to be doing ok at taking in online photo forums in very small doses, at the moment, I can manage that….

Ned has a spokesman ? Did not know that.
Huh... the things you can learn from the internet. ;)

living the denial that online communication is very different to an eye to eye conversation certainly will lead to either better staying away or being banned from online communities. I am not surprised.
it's a real pity, a big loss that Neds truly great photos, his very good and pointed thoughts concerning photography and the technical knowledge he shared are gone though :( Whoever is responsible for this loss, please reconsider!

i have a feeling this will turn muddy.... to Light and Love
Perhaps you should of kept the MOD JOB:D Your female persuasion keeps the male in us in line. BTW the light here in the Carolina's, well at least in the Northern side has been lovely this year. Light & love to you too Helen. :)

His way of communicating was arrogant, boorish, and way over the top with self-importance.

Dan I find your post informative & intertaining. BTW my Kodachrome Tee is holding up very well.:)

His way of communicating was arrogant, boorish, and way over the top with self-importance.

Lots of artists are like that and he was often spot on but did go full tilt no doubt. If online communities are totally lacking that kind of bluntness, it can sometimes come off as shallow and pointless.

This is a loss to this community, not a gain....and this community is far better than most.

He just dare to say when something is rubbish that it is rubbish, nothing wrong about that.
And oh boy there is a lot of rubbish here starting with members that have more than 10k posts out of those are 2/3 off topic or 7k members with 2/3 posts GLWS in cassifieds :D
I already mentioned in some other thread that I dont agree with most of Neds opinions but that doesnt mean that he cant write those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back