What happened to Ned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider Ned a friend, and as much as I admire his photographic talent, I'm going to speak frankly and say that some of his posts were unnecessarily rude. There are social conventions that need to be followed when a group of people come together, either in person or virtually. Without manners, the social situation is disrupted, as seen.

Ned made his choices.
He could have stayed but chose to write reckless and cruel things more than once. These were not photography related "straight talk" as some have defended.
It's a shame but it's his life he can do what he wants.

There are many incredible photographers who are no longer rff members,.... People change, Life goes on.

Ned, you'll be missed.
That thread was the best of what was available on RFF in my opinion.
Sad day...

Ben

Why the admiration for his photography? It is, to me, above average but derivative and really nothing to note. If his clients are happy, that's great. But on a creative level his work looks like so much of what is being produced by thousands of other shooters and doesn't stand out or merit special attention (this opinion is expressed in the spirit of his 'straight talk').

I can't say I know enough about him, or read enough, to say anything about him. I'm out making photographs more often than I'm reading about making them.
But I have to hand this to him - I guarantee if I left the forum I wouldn't get my own thread with this many replies to it!

There are many artists/photographers who are known not to be nice people. As time goes, those people that know them go too, along with the artist. All we are left with are the images and a handful of stories. They are the person's legacy. It's way too early to know if Ned will have a legacy.

I can put up with a colossal ego if it's from a supremely talented surgeon, but it's a rather different case when it's not a matter of life and death, IMO. Ned had a few images that were absolutely stunning, so give him credit for that, but his online interactions badly damaged his persona, and if he left, life goes on. :)

I will miss Stewart much more.
His sharp and sometimes cutting wit always came from a place of kindness and compassion.
His knowledge was shared much more readily coming from that place rather than pure ego.

There are many artists/photographers who are known not to be nice people. As time goes, those people that know them go too, along with the artist. All we are left with are the images and a handful of stories. They are the person's legacy. It's way too early to know if Ned will have a legacy.

I always hear that, but I always wonder about the real back stories.

Recently a lot of really negative articles have appeared about Lou Reed, but on the few occasions I was around him in social situations, the rage had apparently been put away. But someone has had a major fight with everyone, and he was no exception.

Artists are people, some were like Reed -- "despite the many emotional issues that pursued him though out his life. His charisma, his charm, his wit, his intellect were undeniable and seductive to everyone who knew him well." https://medium.com/cuepoint/a-famil...t-about-his-childhood-20e8399f84a3#.n9sc794ka

I live in a city full of thousands of great photographers. Nuff said. :)

I have never read Ned's tirades about this or that for more than a few words - I used to find them quite tiresome and repetitive, in general.

I have only carefully looked at his photos, was it when he was here as NB23 or when he came back with his actual name.

Some of his photos were very good, some were good, some less good, some, uninteresting (IMO) ; I didn't quite buy the thick artsy borders and the loud "Hey, those are scans from gallery prints made by a genuine artist" message.

A forum like this one, with thousands of members getting in from the whole universe (this is why this is a nice forum) cannot be used as a photo gallery.

This is pointless, whatever your talent (or your lack of talent, which is probably the most shared thing around) is.

Anyone having not got that it's a wonderful forum to discuss old and modern gear and the general trends and economical aspects of the comtemporary photography, but nothing else, just because it canNOT be something else, got it the wrong way.

For looking at photographs, and sharing critics, there are tons of other ways (galleries, museums, books, online galleries, exhibitions, books, books, and books).

Of course there are a few exceptions to this general rule - I think of the remarkable work our fellow Erik Van Straten displays in the Nikon RF forum to show us what he's shooting with his old Nikon RF gear. In this case, the photographs are beyond the scene, and the gear, behind them. But, this is rare enough.

And, I usually look at Erik's photos through his flickr, not here.

I always hear that, but I always wonder about the real back stories.

Recently a lot of really negative articles have appeared about Lou Reed, but on the few occasions I was around him in social situations, the rage had apparently been put away. But someone has had a major fight with everyone, and he was no exception.

Artists are people, some were like Reed -- "despite the many emotional issues that pursued him though out his life. His charisma, his charm, his wit, his intellect were undeniable and seductive to everyone who knew him well." https://medium.com/cuepoint/a-famil...t-about-his-childhood-20e8399f84a3#.n9sc794ka

I live in a city full of thousands of great photographers, so the bar is very high. Nuff said. :)

I know quite a few people who were assistants. Their stories as told to me and corroborated by others are true.

Yes, i read those recent stories about Lou as well. I used to run into him and Laurie all the time as I was dating someone who lived in Chelsea. They were always quite friendly.

A forum like this one, with thousands of members getting in from the whole universe (this is why this is a nice forum) cannot be used as a photo gallery.

This is pointless, whatever your talent (or your lack of talent, which is probably the most shared thing around) is.

I can guarantee that the photos I have been making for most of my long career would be totally dismissed (or even dissed :)) on a forum this size. So I very seldom post, it would be pointless for me to constantly post photos, then have to post why I think they are not so horrible. :)

I come here for the equipment.

EDIT: I don't think it much matters what any of us think about someone's photos. The marketplace, the critics, and history will will take care of their reputation. All that matter, is if you learn something from looking at other's work. Personally I love looking at photographs, "good" and "bad."

I know quite a few people who were assistants.

Assistants are always pissed off, since they begin to believe they are actually doing the work, not the photographer. And so many assistants are artists or photographers themselves, and young, which just adds fuel to the fire.

I try to be nice to those who work for me, not take too much credit for their labor. But I have no idea what they say about me when they get home. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back