what hinders you?

i produce images that i like...on a consistent basis...i rarely get any solid feedback and seem to not have much impact with my images...wouldn't that stop you?

My inability to be comfortable approaching total strangers and asking to take their picture. Always feel like I am intruding, stealing some of their privacy, being a burden.

Best,
-Tim

Oh, the usual thing, being stuck on the internet while I get things like invoices, FTP transfers done. After today, I am outta<>Here....

i produce images that i like...on a consistent basis...i rarely get any solid feedback and seem to not have much impact with my images...wouldn't that stop you?

Try to get that in person from someone local who's work you respect, trust me, it is waaay better than the internet gush circles. I had my portfolio gone over last week by a true master, in person, I find it a good thing to do once and awhile...

The place I'm at, definitely. There's only so much you can do on a rural campus, when I'm finally in Charlotte or NYC I want to point my camera at everything that moves...

Overcoming my sticking points, namely shooting younger people especially women and children. I see the picture a thousand of times but am to afraid to pursue it. Maybe it's also signaling that I'm a photographer rather than a hobbyist with a camera that worries me. I dunno.

There is a lot of talk on here about one's location getting in the way. The best piece of advice given to me that I pass on is that in every corner of every town in the world everyday, there is a mind blowing, award winning image waiting to be had by one who has the talent, drive and tenacity to reveal it.

In 1994 I moved from visually bustling LA to a small town in Kansas....I won a lot of national awards with images I made in that town because of my attitude towards the task at hand. But you have to be confident, bold and approach people with that confidence and do so with an aire of getting to know them and care about their story even if it does not result in a photograph.

In other words...you have got to be real....

Nothing stops me. My own ability and skill are not always up to the challenges I put in front of myself but I am still pushing myself hard to become better. I am surprising myself more and more often but I probably still have most of my 10,000 hours still ahead of me. :)

There is a lot of talk on here about one's location getting in the way. The best piece of advice given to me that I pass on is that in every corner of every town in the world everyday, there is a mind blowing, award winning image waiting to be had by one who has the talent, drive and tenacity to reveal it.

In 1994 I moved from visually bustling LA to a small town in Kansas....I won a lot of national awards with images I made in that town because of my attitude towards the task at hand. But you have to be confident, bold and approach people with that confidence and do so with an aire of getting to know them and care about their story even if it does not result in a photograph.

In other words...you have got to be real....

It's very hard to photograph the Zion national park from Edmonton, for instance.
You probably could do it, though :)

Back