what hinders you?

i produce images that i like...on a consistent basis...i rarely get any solid feedback and seem to not have much impact with my images...wouldn't that stop you?

I hear you. You know, at it's heart, photography is a spectator sport I suppose there are those who take pictures, never show them to anyone, and keep them in a box (or on a computer). But it really demands an audience. In the old days there were local camera clubs where you could show your work and see that of others with critiques and lots of interaction.

Now, in the digital age, there is more oportunity for your work to be seen. But most sites seem to be mutual admiration societies. You say something nice about my picture and I'll reciprocate. I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

For me, if it weren't for microstock I might not be making many images. It is a way to validate (or not) what you're doing and generate some cash for that next equipment purchase. However, their acceptance and usage policies tend to discourage real creativity or experimentation. I have been transformed from a watercolorist into a draftsman.

(Still a lot of fun, though.)

i produce images that i like...on a consistent basis...i rarely get any solid feedback and seem to not have much impact with my images...wouldn't that stop you?

... that's the price you pay for being competent and consistent I think ... better that than shallow compliment

the one real limitation a human being faces is her or himself.

you only have 15 minutes, create the mindset in yourself to make every one of those 15 count.

to the gentleman with the new baby, Congratulation! have you thought about doing a family portrait series? I am always astonished and moved by how a father or mother is able to photograph their own child. You are present for the most tender and raw moments. That is an enviable advantage!

if you don't own a particular lens or camera you think you need, work with what you have and treat it with respect because it is the tool of your craft and ONLY as capable as you.

and you have to be honest with yourself as to why do photography. you may never be praised or congratulated and it may be too personal an endeavor for you; however, that should not be discouraging because there is tremendous value to what you do. the things you've seen, have left an impression and been a part of your life. Honor that!

I wish I had more time to develop film. I can find the time to shoot, but I get backlogged.

My one goal is always to be more courageous and get closer to my subjects. I want to do more portraiture.

As for feedback, my feeling is that you can post just about anything and everyone online will say, "Nice shot!" But if you post it and ask for critique you will get a whole bunch of criticism. I'm not saying either is wrong, but I do find that interesting.

Just because no one comments doesn't mean they don't like your image(s). I see photos here every day that blow me away, yet I rarely comment. Maybe I should comment more.

College. Although I don't let it hinder me too much, because I usually have a camera with me all the time. And, summer break just started. I just tend to get more of a queue of films to be developed when I'm in school.

Confidence.......with my abilities
Drive................to make time for my hobby
Patience............when I find opportunities to photograph
Reluctance........to share or ask for a critique

This forum is good therapy, however.

Angelo

I don't push the shutter enough.

I've just been out for a lunchtime walk. I'm lucky enough to work in London, and there's a lot to see. I walked to Spitalfields market and back again. Didn't press the shutter once.

On the face of it, I went out to shoot pictures. In practice I often end up with a nice walk!

It's different with my kids, though. I take a lot of pictures of them, some of which I cherish.

Subject fatigue.

There is a limit to how many times one can photograph the same streets and shops and people who pass by there or work there.

My biggest hindrance is myself. For one: I carry a camera with me but I often go days without taking a single photo. I discourage myself to easily. I have aspirations but it seems, for the moment are only daydreams. I know I need to make my dreams into creating reality...but when.:(

is there anything that stops / hinders you from producing the kind of photography you would like to? if so, what is it?

Motivation. Lack of photographically-minded friends.

Although motivation is #1. It doesn't seem like anybody really is interested in the kind of photography I produce, so it's difficult to be motivated. And due to lack of motivation, I now hardly produce anything anybody would be interested in. A nice little feeding circle.

Like everyone else: time and money. I want to create grandiose, surreal, moving imagery that draws a lot from movies (see the slow-mo opening from "Melancholia" for an example of what I'm talking about). However, movie producers have much deeper pockets than I do. Plus set designers, prop manager, lighting assistants, etc. I have to be all of those when I want to do a shoot with a model.

Like everyone else: time and money. I want to create grandiose, surreal, moving imagery that draws a lot from movies (see the slow-mo opening from "Melancholia" for an example of what I'm talking about). However, movie producers have much deeper pockets than I do. Plus set designers, prop manager, lighting assistants, etc. I have to be all of those when I want to do a shoot with a model.

I also am very inspired by cinema, and want all of my pictures to look either like "The Seventh Seal" or "Fallen Angels"

I also am very inspired by cinema, and want all of my pictures to look either like "The Seventh Seal" or "Fallen Angels"

Oh man, I love "The Seventh Seal". One of the most beautiful, awe-inspiring movies of all time. Also an inspiration for my photography. I haven't seen "Fallen Angels". I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Joe - I took a photo class earlier this year. The textbook used was The Tao of Photography by Philippe L. Gross & S. I. Shapiro. In a chapter titled "Barriers to Seeing" the number 1 barrier to seeing was the need to conform and win approval. I found this to be a hard habit to overcome and still struggle with it. This desire to fit in can really strangle creativity. I just checked out your blog. You are a talented and creative photographer. If your images only please you, then so be it. Be passionate and shoot what you feel. Sometimes photos are just images, but wow, when you create an image that sings to you, that is art! Keep shooting my friend.

Mike

p.s. Thank you Simon.

Back