What is is the best USED film Leica M camera for the money?

Which used film Leica M camera is the best value for the money?

• Leica M3

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Leica M2

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • Leica M4

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Leica M4-2

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Leica M4-P

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Leica M5

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • Leica CL

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Leica M6 Classic / TTL

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Leica M7

• Leica MP

• Total voters
Last year I was seeing Hexar RFs ebay for around $1000 USD, cheaper than any Leica Ms I was seeing. AE, auto advance, 1/4000th shutter speed, 28mm frame lines you can actually see, swing back door loading... seems like a no-brainer.
If the Hexar RF were an option in the poll, for sure I would have checked that box. I think they remain seriously undervalued. I know, electronics are a potential issue, but I haven't heard about them dying on anyone. (The cavils about some lenses not focusing properly on Leicas notwithstanding -- which still seems overblown. Get the Hexanons if you're concerned -- you won't regret it.)

OK, sorry for the detour -- I voted for the M3 since they were made in the highest numbers, and that should help keep the price down. And lots of folks "must" have 35mm framelines, apparently, so that detracts from the M3's desirability. But it still has the best RF/VF of any of the Leicas, I think.

Used, it must be the MP. The M3 and M2 are much older, so are often in need for repair. The MP is extremely solid, is in black paint and has a very good meter. I have the MP for about 20 years and had only once a repair, I forgot what it was.

Erik.

Used, it must be the MP. The M3 and M2 are much older, so are often in need for repair. The MP is extremely solid, is in black paint and has a very good meter. I have the MP for about 20 years and had only once a repair, I forgot what it was.

Erik.
Well a used MP is priced at between $4200-5500 USD.... while a used M2 or M3 is circa $1500...so even with service it's a reliable camera at 1/2 the cost.

Hexar RF. Titanium covers. I've been using one for 15 years now and if I had done the same things with a Leica that I've done with the Hexar I'd probably be on my third Leica by now. The Hexar is the camera Leica should be making.

Which is your choice as best for the Money?

This is not about choosing your favorite, or choosing a new in production camera.

What is the best USED M camera that gives the most value for the $?
Not my personal favorite, but if you're asking which M camera qualifies as the best buy, I'd have to pick the M5.

I like the M2 for its uncluttered viewfinder for 35, 50 and 90 lenses, and I was fortunate to get one before the inflation in prices. They still go for less than most of the other models, and I see the poll reflects this.

In all honesty i'd say it all hinges on what's up for sale the day you're ready to buy. The M2, M3,M4-2, & as Bill Blackwell pointed out ...all fall in the same price point range. You might find a screaming deal on any one of them.....especially one that shows more wear.

Not a Leica but the best M mount camera I have owned was my Zeiss Ikon ... it lacked the emotional attachment I had to my M2 but for form and function nothing really matches it in my opinion.

Not a Leica but the best M mount camera I have owned was my Zeiss Ikon ... it lacked the emotional attachment I had to my M2 but for form and function nothing really matches it in my opinion.
Keith what's the word on repairing these if anything goes wrong?

Any of those cameras could be the “best” - it depends on what a person needs or wants.

- Do you need or want a meter?

- Do you need wider frame lines for the lenses you use?

- Do you like the heft or size that certain M’s have?

- Do you want aperture priority?

- Do you want a newer camera?

Any of those cameras could be the “best” - it depends on what a person needs or wants.

- Do you need or want a meter?

- Do you need wider frame lines for the lenses you use?

- Do you like the heft or size that certain M’s have?

- Do you want aperture priority?

- Do you want a newer camera?
The rest of the phrase... "for the money" = which is the 'best value.' They're all essentially at least 2x what they were 5 yrs ago.
Almost 5 yrs ago i bought a '68 black paint M4 for $2800. Sold a slightly worn MP for $2900 to pay for the (preferred) M4. Try to find either of those today...where have today's prices driven them.

Not sure ... I sold mine a long time go. They were made by Cosina so surely someone in Japan has a handle on repairs and service.
I'm sure you're right, but i'd be reluctant to tie myself into the return cost of shipping to/from Japan. At the same time be both know you can take great photos, hammer nails or stop bullets with a Nikon F or Leica M.

I'm a bit amazed by the numbers of voters for the M5. If it breaks, it's difficult to find someone to repair it. The Dutch go-to repair guy Will van Manen explicitly lists it as the only M he won't touch.

For the others, I think best value for money is determined by the condition of the camera versus the price, especially if you consider re-sale value.

That said, even as an M4 owner, I can understand that the M2 is an attractive proposition for the money.

The great M5 repairman in The Netherlands - Ton Scherpenborg - died a couple of years ago. I will not use or buy an M5. I have one, but I only keep it for nostalgic reasons.

Erik.

From a user's point of view I'd say the Minolta CLE is probably the best value M mount camera.

I voted for the MP because it is the least likely to need a $400+ CLA immediately or an expensive repair soon, but can be easily repaired or serviced if needed. Leica even still services them.

Marty

Back