What is is the best USED film Leica M camera for the money?

Which used film Leica M camera is the best value for the money?

• Leica M3

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Leica M2

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • Leica M4

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Leica M4-2

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Leica M4-P

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Leica M5

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • Leica CL

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Leica M6 Classic / TTL

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Leica M7

• Leica MP

• Total voters
Yea that has always been my opinion with used Leicas, it’s not how much it costs, it’s whether one decides if it’s worth parking the funds in a camera. Many times I’ve decided it wasn’t worth parking the funds simply because I wasn’t shooting enough. Buy right and care for the gear and you’ll essentially rent the gear for very little, or nothing, worst case; and best case make a profit.

But then what? The $1000 M6 Classic bought in 2010, what is one going to replace it with, now that the same camera will demand $2500? 😀
I find myself in a similar position with my M4, which I've owned for about 13 years now. It's an early one, probably built in December 1966 from the first batch. I bought it along with a CLA'd DR Summicron from Sherry Krauter, which dates from 1957. I displayed the Leica far more than using it although it was in fine shape. However, just this past week, while I was out an about with it, the film advance suddenly stopped working and the cause turned out being the shutter curtain separating. Both DAG and YYe told me the M4 only crimped, not crimped and glued like earlier Ms. No matter who I send it to, it's going to end up being $600-700 (would replace lugs while at it) and my dilemma is, I simply don't use it much compared to my Fuji XE3, XP1, and XT1. But I've got 21 rolls of film in the freezer (all assorted B&W)! I ended up paying about $600 for this camera after a small price adjustment for something undisclosed from Samy's ebay sales. So now, I'll be into the camera $1200-1300 with a CLA, shutter curtain repair/replacement, and new lugs. I could sell it off as is and make a profit or fix it and keep it even if it gets light use and I'm getting on in years (and my kids just use their phones - to them, my cameras are an anachronism). FWIW, I'm sending the M4 off to DAG next week. I hope he's the Leica shaman people say.

I find myself in a similar position with my M4, which I've owned for about 13 years now. It's an early one, probably built in December 1966 from the first batch. I bought it along with a CLA'd DR Summicron from Sherry Krauter, which dates from 1957. I displayed the Leica far more than using it although it was in fine shape. However, just this past week, while I was out an about with it, the film advance suddenly stopped working and the cause turned out being the shutter curtain separating. Both DAG and YYe told me the M4 only crimped, not crimped and glued like earlier Ms. No matter who I send it to, it's going to end up being $600-700 (would replace lugs while at it) and my dilemma is, I simply don't use it much compared to my Fuji XE3, XP1, and XT1. But I've got 21 rolls of film in the freezer (all assorted B&W)! I ended up paying about $600 for this camera after a small price adjustment for something undisclosed from Samy's ebay sales. So now, I'll be into the camera $1200-1300 with a CLA, shutter curtain repair/replacement, and new lugs. I could sell it off as is and make a profit or fix it and keep it even if it gets light use and I'm getting on in years (and my kids just use their phones - to them, my cameras are an anachronism). FWIW, I'm sending the M4 off to DAG next week. I hope he's the Leica shaman people say.
My M4 is the only M i've ever sent for service in decades of owning both used and new M cameras. When i got it, the shutter speeds were off. In addition to a complete CLA, Don G also installed the connector so i could use the Leicavit. It took about 2 months before i got it back. It's been 5 years now and still working like a charm. I've found DAG to be a pleasure to work with.

30049532918_22af865aa8_z.jpg

Among my film bodies, the only thing that would improve my M2 is a Leicavit/Rapidwinder. Or at least I think so...I liked the Leicavit on the IIIf. I used one and really liked it. Went to get one of my own and found them to be a little $$$ for what they are. The Leicavit for M2 is not common, so even more expensive. Maybe the M2 is just fine as it is? :cool:

Among my film bodies, the only thing that would improve my M2 is a Leicavit/Rapidwinder. Or at least I think so...I liked the Leicavit on the IIIf. I used one and really liked it. Went to get one of my own and found them to be a little $$$ for what they are. The Leicavit for M2 is not common, so even more expensive. Maybe the M2 is just fine as it is? :cool:
Being left-eye dominant the Leicavit makes a huge difference to me.
Although the 2005 Leicavit reissued with the MP3 (LHSA) has gotten very expensive.

A previous M5 I had was serviced by cameraworks-uk.com, they even installed titanium shutter curtains from a donor F2 that I provided. So there is a uk service option.
What was service time, not two years?

I was fascinated by their idea. Got cheap as-is F2, made it works easily, used it and realized, no Leica is worth of Nikon curtains :)

I still think the M3 remains the best value and best M film camera in many ways. I much prefer the 35mm FL goggled lens system (which turns the 50mm frameline into the 35mm frameline), than the compromise which was the 0.72x finder (which is neither ideal at 35mm nor 50mm). I still think Leica should have continued with that idea because it makes the 50/35s operate at the same magnification and relative focus accuracy -- even for left eye shooters and glasses wearers. What never made sense to me was the fact that the goggled lenses had to be slightly shifted in focus from normal lenses -- probably to deal with the native 1.00m minimum focus on the M3 (the goggled 35s, I believe, could focus down to 0.7m, even on an M3). It would have been nice to have "universal" goggles that worked with all normal M mount lenses.

M6. There are plenty of them around. They have a meter & all the framelines. Parts are readily available for repair and there are many good repairmen around. Leica is reissuing this model with some upgrades. There are numerous models.

At one time I might have gone with the CL being the most bang for the buck, but it depends on one's style of photography, and I felt limited using it. I tend to use many focal lengths with any of my cameras, so the M4-P became my choice. I considered an M6 Classic or TTL but decided the extra cost of a built-in meter wasn't worth the difference over the M4-P. I didn't get rid of the CL though. It still has usefulness.

PF

I still think the M3 remains the best value and best M film camera in many ways. I much prefer the 35mm FL goggled lens system (which turns the 50mm frameline into the 35mm frameline), than the compromise which was the 0.72x finder (which is neither ideal at 35mm nor 50mm). I still think Leica should have continued with that idea because it makes the 50/35s operate at the same magnification and relative focus accuracy -- even for left eye shooters and glasses wearers. What never made sense to me was the fact that the goggled lenses had to be slightly shifted in focus from normal lenses -- probably to deal with the native 1.00m minimum focus on the M3 (the goggled 35s, I believe, could focus down to 0.7m, even on an M3). It would have been nice to have "universal" goggles that worked with all normal M mount lenses.
Perhaps then the 0.85 finder in an M6 or M7 is the preferred compromise?

I felt that it was a foregone conclusion that the M2 would prevail in this poll from the moment it was posted ... it's just a great camera! :)

What I would really like to see now would be a similar poll for 'M-mount non Leica' bodies. I would instigate this myself but I don't really possess the data base in my head of all the available options. I know the obvious candidates and I'm pretty sure the Zeiss Ikon would be odds on favoutite but this needs to be done!

Anyone? :)

Based on some of the responses in this thread, methinks some of these votes are for 'favorite M' rather than 'best value M in today's market.' :cool:

And yes, a similar poll for non-Leica is in order!

In general, the answer to the "best USED film M for the money" is "whichever one you can afford." They're all more similar than different. :) Read up, pick the features you want, and go look for whichever one that might be.

I'd had M3, M2, M4, M4-P, M6, and M6TTL when I went looking for another M in 2011; I'd sold all of my Leica gear in 2003 to raise money for the digital gear I needed for my photo business then. The one I chose was an early series M4-2 because I preferred the M4 type viewfinder and frame lines, and the M4-2 is the first model that you could get a motor for (which I never have anyway). The one I got was listed at KEH to be in 'bargain' condition for $720 ... it was actually in VG+ by my standards, but the viewfinder was filthy and the rangefinder was sticky. I had the range/viewfinder serviced (cost me $100 at a local tech). So $820.

The tech told me that the shutter should be overhauled too as it runs a little fast at one end and a little slow at the other .. Hasn't made any difference in the past 12 years, but I'll get to it eventually. Serviced and not abused, any of them will last virtually forever and I doubt I'm in the market to buy any other for the remainder of my Time, so I'm not so worried about it.

I don't know what these things go for at this point, as a rule, since I don't look at prices unless I'm interested to buy something. But a quick glance at my favorite dealer's website shows used film Ms costing between 1.5 and 4 times what I paid for my M4-2 in 2011-2012, up and down the range of models.

G

Based on some of the responses in this thread, methinks some of these votes are for 'favorite M' rather than 'best value M in today's market.' :cool:

And yes, a similar poll for non-Leica is in order!
"in today's market" is you assumption Split.... the original title

What is is the best USED film Leica M camera for the money?​

leaves much room for interpretation...... today's market? one you've used constantly for decades? For me it's this one (w both lenses)... that was recently given to me. Although arguably it was the M2 i bought as a student for $175..... a camera which showed me that a Leica rangefinder was the right tool for me (for 35mm work).

Attachments

• IMG_6791.JPG
    IMG_6791.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 3
Well since the Time Machine hasn’t yet reached alpha testing yet, I’m going with best value in today’s market. :p

I felt that it was a foregone conclusion that the M2 would prevail in this poll from the moment it was posted ... it's just a great camera! :)

What I would really like to see now would be a similar poll for 'M-mount non Leica' bodies. I would instigate this myself but I don't really possess the data base in my head of all the available options. I know the obvious candidates and I'm pretty sure the Zeiss Ikon would be odds on favoutite but this needs to be done!

Anyone? :)
Yes, that would make for an interesting poll, but the range of dissimilar cameras would be greater than within the Leica branded M-mount cameras. Ranging from the auto exposure capable, motorized film advancing Hexar-RF to the rangefinder-but-not-viewfinder equipped Bessa-T and everything in between. It would probably be more a poll about user preference than value for money..

Back