Which Contax G body?

Jerry, I did pretty much the same, but it was the lovely and economical 21mm Biogon that drove the whole thing, and the G1 was just the necessary box to support the lens. Great combination!

the G's are faster to use, much much quicker to load and unload, and the metering is spot on. perhaps not so quiet as the leica, but I grtab the shots with the G's, while I am still focussing the M!

Right on - I love how fast my G2 is, especially coming from Mamiya medium format.

Is there anyway to upgrade G1 white sticker to green by myself?

If you were a certified Contax dealer sometime in your past :)

No, it's a firmware-type upgrade, you'll have to send it off to Tocad, unless someone knows a place in Ontario that still does it.

G1 Upgrade

G1 Upgrade

Is there anyway to upgrade G1 white sticker to green by myself?
A couple of weeks ago I decided to send a G1 for the green sticker upgrade to ToCAD. It took them 6 weeks, and my email-prodding to get them to give me a timeline of the conversion. That's my main beef with ToCAD. But the camera finally came back and it was just $40, including return shipping.

Jerry, I did pretty much the same, but it was the lovely and economical 21mm Biogon that drove the whole thing, and the G1 was just the necessary box to support the lens. Great combination!

Doug,
What is the current market asking price for this lens?
I am interested. :cool:

Hi Raid... It of course depends on condition. Mine came from KEH in March 2005 as a "Bargain" condition item for $465, with finder. No caps, case, box etc. but otherwise it looked new. My local camera repair tech said that under close magnification he found a tiny scratch on the rear element. I recall at the time KEH had one in EX condition for $616.

Viewing completed auctions on eBay, I see two sold in August at $550 and $600. KEH has an EX+ one for $695. So maybe this lens has held its value.

Good luck and have fun shopping! :D

050806-35.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Doug (and Kirk). Now I know what I may be looking for.
I am more intrigued by a Hasselblad SWC .... wishful thinking!

where is ToCAD? Is there an address?

Is it this one?
ToCAD America Inc. 53 Green Pond Road, Suite 5 Rockaway, NJ 07866 Phone: 973-627-9600 Fax: 973-664-2438 Web Site: www.contaxusa.com or www.tocad.com
Yep. that's ToCAD. They did a good job on the green-sticker conversion. It's just the lack of information once you send your camera, that pissed me off.

Doug,
At ebay in the auction-style listing the excellent condition 21mm/2.8 Biogon with finder sells for $560-600. I've bought mine for about $600, and it's worth every penny I paid. The only issue I might have is with the light fall-off at the edges. If only I could get a dedicated 55mm center filter that would even the exposure at the edges...

Well I have just got a G1 and have been using it all day and I must say it suits my needs, never held or seen a G2, (thank gooodness as i can/t afford one).

The prices for lenses at KEH are about twice what I paid for mine, but I bought them several years ago. Not knocking KEH at all, they're just gaining in popularity.

I've got a question..

In the g body, regarding the custom function for manual focus (the alternate setting from default) whereby you have to hold down focus lock and turn the dial to focus etc. rather than just turning the dial.

If you're holding down focus lock and turning the dial - does it focus the lens in real time or does it still only focus the actual lens once you've pressed the shutter button?

I know that's how it works with the default setting that it only sets the lens to the distance you chose once you've pressed the shutter. But I am wondering about this alternate option, that if it actually moves the lens as you turn the dial rather than pressing the shutter.

A little enlightenment? :)

If you're holding down focus lock and turning the dial - does it focus the lens in real time or does it still only focus the actual lens once you've pressed the shutter button?

I know that's how it works with the default setting that it only sets the lens to the distance you chose once you've pressed the shutter. But I am wondering about this alternate option, that if it actually moves the lens as you turn the dial rather than pressing the shutter.

A little enlightenment? :)

I think this was referred to earlier in the thread.. that you use the prefocus button on the back and then fire at will.. so with the dial it's not manually focussing in real time. I have not used this camera though, just my understanding from the earlier post.

Good deal more.

Good deal more.

anyone know where I can get a good deal on a 45/2.0 lens for the G1?
Rich
Unfortunately the micro 4/3 users discovered that CZ lenses with any of the aftermarket adapters give them better images than their original dinky zooms. Consequently the prices of the Planars doubled within last 2 years. It costs $250-300 now to get an excellent 45 mm Planar on ebay. The KEH charges 50% more. same with 35mm Planar. Both are superb with 45 edging the 35 in sharpness wide open.

Option to Rewind with leader out?

Option to Rewind with leader out?

I can find if either body can be set to leave the leader on rewind?

I have to upgrade my m4/3 body, and my M5 + ZM50f/1.5 will to go to fund it. BUT, I am also going to get another film RF. I am looking at a G1/G2 with the 45mm f/2 Sonnar... But, I really like leaving the leader out after I shoot the off. It is much easier and faster to "Pre-Load" the film on the reel, and then go dark... My coordination sucks in a changing bag, trust me.

Does either model have an option to rewind and leave the leader out?

Back