Which film leica to use with 28mm

For that money, you could get a rebuilt Leica Barnack, a 28mm finder and lens with money left over for film. I love my Barnacks but some don't. I like shooting the way Oscar did and so many others. Right now, my Canon 28mm f/3.5 and Canon 28mm rangefinder are on my Leica Standard and I love it.

For that money, you could get a rebuilt Leica Barnack, a 28mm finder and lens with money left over for film. I love my Barnacks but some don't. I like shooting the way Oscar did and so many others. Right now, my Canon 28mm f/3.5 and Canon 28mm rangefinder are on my Leica Standard and I love it.
Yes, but with a Barnack the M mount 28mm lens that the OP has already bought is of no use.

I always loved the look of a Barnack w/28mm lens and TUVOO finder.

iu

Based on your budget, the Voigtlander R4 series. If it has to be a Leica, maybe the M-4P. Everything at 28mm in RFs is a compromise.

The most expensive option would be an MP with .58x finder. These are rare and can run up to $6000 and higher. If the 28mm is absolutely your favourite focal length then still a cheaper .58x M6TTL for around $3500 is enough. The cheapest option with a meter is a Bessa T. You’ll need an external finder. I recommend this option. Since it appears you do not have other M lenses then just start with the T. Or you can buy any M2 M3 M4 M5 M6 and use a 28mm finder.

I was about to suggest this. I used a CL for years with a Canon Serenar 28/3.5. Worked a treat.

Now I use my M 240 with my Kobalux 28/3.5 and have no trouble with my glasses. It's digital though so ...
The tiny Canon 28mm(2.8 or 3.5) is indeed a charm on the CL body!IMG_7131 3.jpgIMG_7675 copy 2 3 2.JPG

Last edited:
I never notice the 90 frame lines when shooting 28 on a digital. What I hate is the incomplete lower frame lines for the 50 on my M9 and Monochrom. it really messes with quick composition. This does not happen with the 50 frame lines on my M6, but the revival M6 is not the same, with an incomplete 50 frame line along the lower edge Like the modern digital.

What is the same in the revival M6, according to the manual, is the extent of the inner frame lines, like 75, 90 and 135. What I notice in the meter-less Leica MA instructions is that the inner frame lines are more subtle for 75 and 135, reducing the clutter for a 35mm and 50mm view, making the MA even more like an M2 through the viewfinder as well as in its external shape and controls.

If I didn’t have an M6, suddenly an almost AUD$10,000 camera here in Melbourne, or an M2 I’d buy an MA, also now almost $10,000. From 1958 to now the current meter-less Leica film camera is virtually the same machine except for the rapid loading, available for an M2 for 60 years If you wanted it.

M4-P if you can live without a meter in-camera. M6 if you gotta have a meter.

I wear glasses and I've used both these models with 28mm. Nothing is perfect but it's okay.

I use 28mm pretty frequently, but my 28mm lenses are all LTM. You state that your 28mm lens is an asph version, so I assume it’s Leica M-mount. That is going to limit you from less expensive camera options (personally, I shoot a Canon 28mm f2.8 lens on a Leica IIIc w/ an external vf). So options: as Dogman says above, the M4-P and M6 have 28mm framelines. I wear glasses and find them really hard to see; but then you could attach an external 28mm vf and problem solved! And then there is the heretical solution: don’t get a Leica body; get a Voigtlander Bessa R4m or R4a. The R4* cameras have beautiful, easy to see framelines for 28mm. Of course, they’re not Leicas, but they do have pretty decent metering, bright viewfinders, and nice handling. You’d have to buy used, as they’re no longer in production, but they’ll still be a lot less than a Leica M4-P or M6. A number of other posts above have recommended the Bessa R4* cameras, so I’m not an outlier. I’ve had Bessa R3 and R2 cameras, and they’re very usable.

The best 28mm finder M-mount camera that I’ve used is the Minolta CLE - easy framing with glasses, aperture priority exposure, compact and light, and it’s cheaper than almost all the alternatives - it’s practically perfect.

The best 28mm finder M-mount camera that I’ve used is the Minolta CLE - easy framing with glasses, aperture priority exposure, compact and light, and it’s cheaper than almost all the alternatives - it’s practically perfect.
One HUGE negative to me: No Meter on manual exposure. It's why I stuck to the CL instead and why I suggest the CL to this day. Use the whole viewfinder for the 28. It's "close enough".

In addition a dead battery only kills the meter on a CL. A dead battery = a dead camera on a CLE.

Here's another vote for the Leica CL/Leitz Minolta CL (badging not withstanding, the same camera). Even a mint example would be well within your price range. Other than the meter switch (which can be twitchy, but repairable), it's a great camera - designed by Leica, built by Minolta, Japan.

IMG_20200720_141124199.jpg
Use the entire RF for a 28mm lens, or get an accessory finder.

One HUGE negative to me: No Meter on manual exposure. It's why I stuck to the CL instead and why I suggest the CL to this day. Use the whole viewfinder for the 28. It's "close enough".

In addition a dead battery only kills the meter on a CL. A dead battery = a dead camera on a CLE.
Having to carry spare batteries never bothered me, you need to remember spare film, right?

But I agree on the CLE and the lack of manual metering. Frustrating in challenging light.

Back