Which film leica to use with 28mm

All the Leica M bodies from the M2 or newer have the same VF and magnification. Those bodies that have 28mm frame lines are just frame lines at the very extreme edge of the VF. So it doesn't matter what M body you get they all have the same field of view.

All the Leica M bodies from the M2 or newer have the same VF and magnification. Those bodies that have 28mm frame lines are just frame lines at the very extreme edge of the VF. So it doesn't matter what M body you get they all have the same field of view.
M6ttl, M7, MP and a la carte Leicas were available with 0.85 and 0.58x viewfinders. The 0.58 low magnification viewfinder is the best Leica film camera viewfinder for 28mm lens use.

M6ttl, M7, MP and a la carte Leicas were available with 0.85 and 0.58x viewfinders. The 0.58 low magnification viewfinder is the best Leica film camera viewfinder for 28mm lens use.
Is Leica still doing a la carte? Once upon a time I had an M7 with a 0.58x VF and sold it. What an idiot. I rarely, very rarely, shoot anything longer than a 50mm and wish I had that M7 back.

Is Leica still doing a la carte? Once upon a time I had an M7 with a 0.58x VF and sold it. What an idiot. I rarely, very rarely, shoot anything longer than a 50mm and wish I had that M7 back.
No, the a la carte program finished in 2019.

A la carte cameras come up for sale often. There are two a la carte 0.58 cameras on eBay right now. And there are a dozen or so 0.58 magnification viewfinder M cameras for sale there too.

Can only find an M7 0.58x on ebay now. Might buy it. Curious, was there ever a 0.58x digital?
No, thicker body Ms were 0.68 - it’s the same finder as the 0.72 but with more space in the middle - and thin ones (M10 and M11 series) are all 0.72. From type 246 onwards a Visoflex is easier than messing with viewfinder magnification. Parts of the internal configuration are different too, so no putting a different viewfinder in without some serious mechanical gymnastics.

Can only find an M7 0.58x on ebay now. Might buy it. Curious, was there ever a 0.58x digital?
On a digital like my M 240, I find the far easier solution is an Olympus VF2 EVF plugged into the hot shoe and using live view. I did that till I found an inexpensive Voigtlander finder for my CV 21/4 lens. I still have the EVF because there are times when live view is useful but I'd far rather look through it than chimp on a screen.

After a lot of thoughts i sold the lens. Despite loving 28mm i couldnt afford a leica with a 0,58 wiewfinder, which is the best option for the 28mm and glasses. I am thinking of getting the 18mm and the fuji xpro 2

Bit late now:( but you could do worse than an MDa and an external viewfinder. Nice in a bum bag in a long run or just as a general street shooter.

Bit late now:( but you could do worse than an MDa and an external viewfinder. Nice in a bum bag in a long run or just as a general street shooter.
I tried an external viewfinder from a friend that uses daily one with his 28mm but to me it just didnt feel so nice in the hands to think of such an option. Im sure a leica m6 ttl with 0,58 viewfinder would be great if i could see the framelines but 3500 euros are for me too much. I also like a lot ovf and hate evf because of the delay it has so there are not many options.

I tried an external viewfinder from a friend that uses daily one with his 28mm but to me it just didnt feel so nice in the hands to think of such an option. Im sure a leica m6 ttl with 0,58 viewfinder would be great if i could see the framelines but 3500 euros are for me too much. I also like a lot ovf and hate evf because of the delay it has so there are not many options.
Which external finder were you using? Both the Leitz & Voigtlander finders are elegant in design and bright IMO... On the other hand lots of people just use the entire M2 M4 finder ....... the 28 lines in the M4-P/M7/MP aren't all that accurate anyhow. BTW What delay are you having?
IMG_4477.JPG

Which external finder were you using? Both the Leitz & Voigtlander finders are elegant in design and bright IMO... On the other hand lots of people just use the entire M2 M4 finder ....... the 28 lines in the M4-P/M7/MP aren't all that accurate anyhow. BTW What delay are you having?
View attachment 4829517
I think that was a voightländer old one. I liked it as a viewfinder but it made the camera somehow much bigger. With delay i meant the electronic viewfinder delay which is to my eyes better that 10 years ago but still no comparison with ovf

I think that was a voightländer old one. I liked it as a viewfinder but it made the camera somehow much bigger. With delay i meant the electronic viewfinder delay which is to my eyes better that 10 years ago but still no comparison with ovf
Why would you use an electronic VF with a Leica film camera?..... just asking

Pro tip as a longtime Fuji X-Pro shooter: there is some minor "shutter" lag with all mirrorless cameras as the aperture stops down, even when using Fujifilm X-Pro cameras in OVF mode. You can mitigate this by keeping the shutter button held down at half-press before firing. This stops down the aperture and for all intents and purposes gets rid of "shutter" lag.

This has nothing to do with EVF lag, but it may help head off any frustration you have regardless.

Also be aware that there are now two 18mm Fujifilm lenses now for the X series: a compact ƒ/2 for street shooting and a larger ƒ/1.4 that's maximized for bokeh, sharpness and autofocus speed. I've heard both are great, but with the ƒ/1.4 you'd probably have to deal with finder blockage while the ƒ/2 will have some distortion and lower corner sharpness.

Not as easy to find as the 1.25x magnifier made by some Chinese company, but there is also a 0.85x magnifier that screws into the eyepiece of the Leica. I use one for my M9 when using a wide-angle lens. Makes it easier to see the 28mm framelines.

Back