Which PEN F to buy?

Bad news: the self-timer stuck and now I can't release the shutter button. I can send it back but I'm going to try to open up the bottom plate to manually trigger the shutter release. Need to find an appropriate size screw driver... those screws are tiny.

The self-timer stuck and now I can't release the shutter button.
A common problem. When you push up the self-timer lever and let it go from there, it will slowly run down to the point where it should fire the shutter but doesn't, even though the shutter is cocked. Instead, it just stalls. Right? If so then the remedy is easy; no screwdriver required.

Push the self-timer lever up as far as it will go. While holding it there with one finger, carefully advance the film. Release the self-timer lever. Now it should run down fully and click the shutter. The procedure will cost you one or two frames of film if the camera is loaded.

A common problem. When you push up the self-timer lever and let it go from there, it will slowly run down to the point where it should fire the shutter but doesn't. Instead, it just stalls. Right? If so then the remedy is easy; no screwdriver required.

Push the self-timer lever up as far as it will go. While holding it there with one finger, carefully advance the film. Release the self-timer lever. Now it should stay up. After that, you should be able to fire the shutter, either via the regular release button or the self-timer release button. The procedure will cost you one frame of film if the camera is loaded.

I love you!! It worked ... albeit in a slightly different way. When I advanced the frame and let go the lever, the self-timer actually ran down fully and the shutter clicked! Now why did it need an advanced frame for that? Did I try to use the self-timer without advancing a frame?! I don't get it.

Release the self-timer lever. Now it should stay up. After that, you should be able to fire the shutter, either via the regular release button or the self-timer release button.
It worked ... albeit in a slightly different way. When I advanced the frame and let go the lever, the self-timer actually ran down fully and the shutter clicked!
Right. Obviously I didn't remember that part of the procedure correctly. I shall edit my explanation above (for future reference).

Did I try to use the self-timer without advancing a frame!?
No. The film was advanced and the shutter cocked but the shutter-release mechanism 'got lost' for some reason. Well, that's how a former Olympus technician explained it to me when I had the same problem with my Pen FT. Re-cocking the shutter with the self-timer lever up brings the gearings inside back on track. And no, it doesn't hurt the camera in any way.

My solution to self timer woes was to remove the entire self timer mech from inside the camera. Covered the hole in the front with a bit of masking tape. Makes the camera, an FV, really clean looking. Would like to print up on gummed paper a gold colored 'f' as it appears on the original Pen F and use that as a cover for the vacated self timer lever but never got around to it.

Here's how my FV came, said to have had a former scientific use...

attachment.php

Annoyingly, the self-timer-lever on my FT often gets snagged when I put the camera away in the bag. Since it seems to be a very flimsy affair waiting to break, I've thought about anchoring it using sticky tape (not got round to it yet, probably because it's not an elegant solution).

And that's why I like my Pen-F/S/W, no meters, no nothing to get in the way. Same reason why I like my M4, it is simple and to the point. But, as they say, variety is the spice of life and to each their own.

Lots of good information in this thread.

For the past few days I've been using my FT with 40/1.4 and it is so much fun - I can't stop making photos. At first I thought the Pen's natural "portrait" orientation would confine me, but I very quickly adapted and it's opened up a new way of seeing things.

My advance lever is a bit stiff at about 90 degrees, then loosens up again. On my first 24 exposure roll, I stopped at frame 32, thinking I'd somehow reached the end. Later discovered I just needed a bit more effort. On this second roll, I think I'll stop at 46 to ensure no sprockets get torn.

I didn't realize the take-up spool turns counterclockwise, with the emulsion facing inwards, rather than clockwise like more modern film SLR's.

As for the metering, I wish the viewfinder scale was in F-stops and not 0-7. After 50+ years of photography, well even after 1 year, I have an inherent intuitive feeling of what my aperture should be and the effect I want. I actually do very well not using a meter. Best to get an FV, actually.

Lots of good information in this thread..

As for the metering, I wish the viewfinder scale was in F-stops and not 0-7. After 50+ years of photography, well even after 1 year, I have an inherent intuitive feeling of what my aperture should be and the effect I want. I actually do very well not using a meter. Best to get an FV, actually.

I believe you can pull the ring forward and turn it until the aperture values become visible. I dont know how to describe it as I have a normal lens but if you google it or youtube it, you’ll be able to do it...

Edit: Nevermind, I notice that you're referring to the EV value display inside the viewfinder. My bad.

Yes, I've already swapped the ring back and forth on the lens to see which scale I want to live with. For now, using the meter, I've selected the 0-6 scale on the lens (40/1.4).

The next time I use the camera, I'll probably not put in a battery for the meter and then I'll switch to the normal aperture scale.

One thing I forgot to mention is just how much I enjoy the sound of the shutter. It's a bit loud, but very satisfying. Considering the obscene number of cameras I have, that says a lot for the Olympus Pen FT.

I can't remember who it was who posted this on RFF but an effective way to interpret the light meter of the FT is as follows:
1/ Set your desired shutter speed
2/ Set lens to widest aperture
3/ Look at the meter and then close down as many stops as the number you read

Let's assume an f2 lens.
If at the selected SS the meter reads '0' then shoot at f2
If it reads '1', shoot at f2.8
If it reads '4', then stop down to f8
etc.
In following the method outlined I meter fully open, then count the aperture 'clicks' by feel and sound.
Although I've not tried it, if aperture priority is important for whatever reason I can not see why the same methodology can be applied to adjusting the SS or a combination of SS and aperture. Just a bit more mental arithmetic required.

The Pen FT metering setup is weird and unwieldy... :) After the FT was introduced, all new lenses had dual aperture scales, one for the actual f/stops and one for the meter numbers. These are 180 degrees apart on the lens barrel, and rotating the aperture ring 180 degrees brings the other scale to the top, changing the click-stops to suit. (And the f/stop clicks do not correspond exactly to the meter number clicks; they're in slightly different positions, not that it matters much!) Thus one has a choice of what to use, one necessary in order to use the FT meter, and the standard other for use on the original F and later FV. Thus no mental gymnastics needed... unless one is stuck with an older lens on an FT!

For me it's like zone focusing and adjusting the critical focus point by feel using the tab; it becomes automatic. W.r.t FT metering I like to see the f# by glancing rather than having to invert the camera with the aperture ring inverted. It works for me and quickly too. With so much latitude using film, slight errors are acceptable.

Back